Securing The Spare Wheel On A Pickup

Big Guns

I got my DMax washed today only to see as it was being driven up the ramp that some bstard had stolen my spare wheel :) . The car is only 3 months old and came with a padlock to secure the spare wheel. As I'm sure a new 16 inch double spoked alloy plus tyre is not going to be cheap and I'd like to prevent this from happening in future. The only fool proof solution I can think of at the moment is to put it under the lockable sportlid cover.

Any solutions which other posters have come up with would be appreciated.

Sorry to hear that, nasty piece of work what with the lock and all. It is 2WD? If so, maybe you could replace it with one of those 'space saver' wheels - never heard of *anybody* stealing one of those.

I'm gonna check my truck in the morning!

It happened to me twice.

After the first time, I invested 3500 Baht in some special, welded-to-the-frame, anti-theft lock that looked pretty sturdy to me. The bastards managed to saw through it somehow while I wasn't looking though.

Now I leave the spare at home unless I'm heading out of town.

I got my DMax washed today only to see as it was being driven up the ramp that some bstard had stolen my spare wheel :) . The car is only 3 months old and came with a padlock to secure the spare wheel. As I'm sure a new 16 inch double spoked alloy plus tyre is not going to be cheap and I'd like to prevent this from happening in future. The only fool proof solution I can think of at the moment is to put it under the lockable sportlid cover.

Any solutions which other posters have come up with would be appreciated.

The standard spare tyre on a Dmax is usually NOT a matching alloy, so you might not of had such an expensive theft, unless you chose to replace it prior to the theft.

Are you sure it was padlocked, cos mine supplied from Izusu looks quite sturdy?

Anyways good luck

Dave

I didn't check if it was a matching alloy. The truck is the VGS Turbo 4x4 and it came with a padlock. My wife checked and you can claim on the insurance although you have to first file a police report. Once I've done that I'll keep it under the sportlid.

I got my DMax washed today only to see as it was being driven up the ramp that some bstard had stolen my spare wheel :)

I had to laugh in a sympathetic way because my previous vehicle was a Hilander and I only discovered the bastard spare was missing when I got a puncture and looked under the vehicle.

I'm working in Saudi Arabia, & noticed many 4x4's have, what looks like, a wheel cover actually fitted beneath the car & locked!

Wondered if these are available in Thailand & maybe it could be your solution to your problem?

Cheers

Chris