Internet In Thailand

Castor83

Hey all,

My gf is in Thailand, I'm in england waiting to sort out the visas and stuff, and I've finally persuaded her to get the internet in her house. (she didnt want 'all the kids' in there all the time, haha)

But unfortunately she is not very savvy technology-wise and cant tell me whether its gonna be wireless internet or not. I'm just owndering whether this is something standard in Thailand, as it is in UK...

I think it cost her about 800b to get it set up, and like 500 odd a month... Not sure tho!

If not, would it be better for me to bring a wireless router over there when I go in september, or are they easy to buy/no more expensive over in Thailand?

THanks for any help

Hey all,

My gf is in Thailand, I'm in england waiting to sort out the visas and stuff, and I've finally persuaded her to get the internet in her house. (she didnt want 'all the kids' in there all the time, haha)

But unfortunately she is not very savvy technology-wise and cant tell me whether its gonna be wireless internet or not. I'm just owndering whether this is something standard in Thailand, as it is in UK...

I think it cost her about 800b to get it set up, and like 500 odd a month... Not sure tho!

If not, would it be better for me to bring a wireless router over there when I go in september, or are they easy to buy/no more expensive over in Thailand?

THanks for any help

I live in Pattaya it is easy and cheap to get a wireless Router either from your internet provider or local tech shop. All the reular makes are available an work fine.

It's most likely ADSL she has put in at that price level, although normally installation is free, the 800 Baht will be for the ADSL modem/router!

Very unlikely to be any wireless (such as 3G) as it is only very limited available, and would be much more expensive to get.

The ADSL will come with just a standard router, but if you'd like to use her internet with your laptop through wifi, it's cheap to get a wifi ADSL router, and just enter the ADSL ISP's log in details to make it connect. She'll get a printed paper with all needed details when signing up.

I think that wireless is becoming standard although it really shouldn't be. I moved apartments last year and in my old apartment it had both wired and wireless connections available in a room. Now in my new apartment I just have wireless. Sharing wireless amongst six floors of Uni students is asking for trouble. The amount of time the internet fails because the load balancing just dies is not funny. When I asked the owner why they did not offer wired connections they said that they never thought about adding it.

Ian.

You can buy a wireless router at Shop4Thai.com in Bangkok, which will mail it to you for around 120 baht. I bought one last week for $47(U.S., figure it out in pounds), which was $67.50 U.S. in Tuk.com, the electronic center in Pattaya. That's as cheap as you'll get, if you get it from Bangkok.

Hey all,

THanks for any help

I live in Pattaya it is easy and cheap to get a wireless Router either from your internet provider or local tech shop. All the reular makes are available an work fine.