Thai Food Or Drink Stalls Near The Road

If a Thai wants to set up a food or drinks stall can they do this if they rent a small piece of land from the owner of the land. (ie: not on the road like in Bangkok but set back from the road)

Is there any reasons why a food / drinks stall business could not be run from a rented piece of land ?

Would there be any licenses needed ?

What about on goverment owned land ? how is permission obtained to stand there ? who do you pay ?

just wondering, why some farang is inspired to setup a street stall?.... lol

you are not the descendants of johnson from slc, are you?

any way here is some insight into street stall in thailand.... lol

many local neighborhood brothers, sisters, cousins etc will almost automatically setup their little stall next to yours or very close to yours, if they consider that you have a profitable business.... i am serious now.... and that is the general practices around thailand.... lol

if you wish to operate a stall outside of your legal description, you can negotiate with the landowner whoever he/she is.... then you can create your place of business almost over night.... lol but sometimes down the road, if your venture turns profitable, he/she or their relatives might decide to join you unashamedly, perhaps right next to your little stall.... lol

if the land is owned by the govt, such as lands along the east or west coastal areas, you need to talk to OOR-BORE-TOR committee who has jurisdiction over that particular piece of choice land you desire. it is the govt body who would issue you permits in return for legal tender fees for various things.... it also depends if that piece of land is colored green which is intended for agriculture, or brown for other industry usage.... if my memory serves me correctly.

almost all streetside stalls do not have any license imposition, but some smart entreprenuers do manage to hang up some signs showing that they have been visited and their food tasted and and their clean establishment certified by certain food tasting groups.... thus differentiating themselves from those stalls around them.... lol

however, stalls inside shopping centers do need to meet minimum standards setup by the shopping centers. take for example, food stalls in bung-ka-pi shopping areas--some stalls are much cleaner in certain cluster areas than the other sister areas where there is less stringent standards.

by the way, do you happen to have an ancient secret recipe for somm-tumm or something? should you ever need venture capital, pls do come by my little somm-tumm stall inside paragon ok?.... lol

now that i've shared some insights into starting a side street stall with you, perhaps you could be so kind as to tell us.... why do you wish to start, to operate and to own a streetside food/drink stall...? or perhaps, it is not an actual food/drink stall at all? .... lol

Edited by nakachalet