Harley

jpolten

Hello all

Just got a quote from a harley dealer in bangkok for the 2010 Iron 883.... B653000 (USD19200)

Price in the US..8000 (B272000)

Price in CANADA...10200 (B300000)

Price in UK.... 5900 (B324000)

I was expecting a bit more in price for duties ect, but not this much!...more than double!

Can anyone explain??

Duties are about 300% and Thais see new HD's as a status symbol so they pay the extortionate money. Simple really. The reason why the Kawasaki's like the ER6 or Ninja 650 are so much cheaper (240 and 257thou baht) is that they are made in Thailand.

Harley's are dear in Australia as well but the import duty is way way less than 300%. I think it's more to do with price gouging in Oz.

But even second-hand Harleys imported into LOS from Japan are expensive.

Duties are about 300% and Thais see new HD's as a status symbol so they pay the extortionate money. Simple really. The reason why the Kawasaki's like the ER6 or Ninja 650 are so much cheaper (240 and 257thou baht) is that they are made in Thailand.

Ok...thanks

Don't think i'll be buying a HD....crazy prices!!

Can anyone recommend a custom builder?

I bought a new import from the dealer 2 years ago - not a HD. My cost was about 70% more than in the US. Now, 2 years later, the value has depreciated about 40% in the US, while I could sell mine here for 90% of what I paid. Plus, instead of paying $75 an hour for labor, I've paid 500 baht per. It all works out in the end.

I bought a new import from the dealer 2 years ago - not a HD. My cost was about 70% more than in the US. Now, 2 years later, the value has depreciated about 40% in the US, while I could sell mine here for 90% of what I paid. Plus, instead of paying $75 an hour for labor, I've paid 500 baht per. It all works out in the end.

Really ??

Thats odd as I know many bikes for sale with just a couple of 1000kms that are going for nearly half thier purchase price, big beemers, etc etc etc.

Actually shifting a big bike of high value isnt easy.

Really ??

Thats odd as I know many bikes for sale with just a couple of 1000kms that are going for nearly half thier purchase price, big beemers, etc etc etc.

Actually shifting a big bike of high value isnt easy.

Yep, well, okay i lied. :) a bit over 80%. minus the plate and book cost. 23 months ago i paid 640,000 for my Ducati GT, including plate and book. The bike itself listed for 590. It helps that the price has gone up to 690 for a new one, but I know I can get 500 for mine, based on what other used ones have sold for this year. I don't know about used bikes moving, especially other makes, but in the past month Ducati on Thong Lor has sold new 10 696 Monsters, one 1100s Monster, and a 1198s. And a 999r (used of course). Only one of those to a farang. Thais with money are not hurting - they have money to burn on toys.

Edited by Netfan

Not everyone wants a sports bike or tourer so people looking at cruisers have to choose between Harley and Victory......or the new Indian. Yes I know the Japanese make cruisers. But lets be real. The resale on big Jap cruisers is not good and parts are very Harley in price. I am guessing, but I would say 7 out of 10 Suzi M109's are sold in the first year if the number being advertised is anything to go by. Why? Lots of Yammie (Star :) ) 1100 and 1300 low mileage/age being advertised. Why?

I like the look of the Kwaka Vulcan 1700, but with the price in the mid 20's I am thinking it's a lot of loot for something that will depreciate 50% in 4 years. Maybe a Harley that will only loose 5-10% in 4 year isn't such bad investment!

Harley prices are out of this world. If you want a good custom bike, try VSmotorspattaya, nice folks to do business with.

yes vs motor on theprasit road do nice stuff...ask for lek there ..he is a sound guy and a member of hel_l rider mc there

BSJ... where are 7 out of 10 suzi m109's being sold in the 1st year?

I didn't really make that clear did I! Referring to the number advertised second-hand.

Suzuki not having a big market share means M109's aren't in abundance!

Total new road bike sale are around 25,000 units/year of which around a quarter (5800+/-) are big bikes. BMW, Harley and Triumph have the lions share. Kawasaki and Yamaha would sell the most Japanese cruisers. I haven't got accurate figures for 2008 I just rely on snippets from Two Wheels. The Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) only looks at overall figures.

I generally look at these 3 as a matter of interest.

Bikesales.com.au

Bikepoint.com.au

and

Ebay Aust

official .883 sportser dropped from 2010 range in europe and usa.

Look before you leap :)

Wow! Didnt know that...seems strange after they brought out new variations rcently like the iron one and nightster thing....I always liked the 883...owned 2 of them in the past. When I bored the 883 to 1200, it ran better than the standard 1200 I bought later.

Someone posted lots and lots of incredible custom photos. In this thread, a Thai custom guy is mentioned. I would contact him - sorry, I cannot remember the name. He has a website in ?English and his creations are owe inspiring.

Hope someone can remember more? Maybe 6 months ago.

Someone posted lots and lots of incredible custom photos. In this thread, a Thai custom guy is mentioned. I would contact him - sorry, I cannot remember the name. He has a website in ?English and his creations are owe inspiring.

Hope someone can remember more? Maybe 6 months ago.

probably i posted them onlycw...was it http://www.thorchops-kustoms.com/

Edited by barrybike