The Contender

What a great fight last night! :D

Peter was in good form, but the way that Joey handled himself was.... well, special really. shocking cut above the right eye though. I think if the fight wasnt stopped he might of got that last round, the way he was coming back.

Best fight so far in my book!

anyone :D:o:D

Great fight indeed!

Really good to see Joey's combination at the end of 3rd round and the entire 4th. If only the injury wasn't serious i am sure he would have been in the final 4.

Well, this is what happen after you give someone a car - they beat the crap ###### out of you. :D

Btw, I counted 5 times the red boxing glove appear on screen last night. :D

Next to watch -

Jesse - The Entertainer

Win - 24, Lost - 1, Draw 0, KO - 16

vs

Anthony - The Father

Win - 24, Lost - 4, Draw - 3, KO - 14

With Anthony still suffering from a torn ligament, I believe Jesse shouldn't have any problem qualifying for the final 4. But again, I could be wrong as Joey proved in the preliminary rounds that even "without legs" a good fighter could give some good combination of jabs. :o

Explorer :D

Im going with Anthony on the next one. I think he is playing the injured a little, but we will see.

The fight where he beat that Jesus preaching inbred, was easy, but his eyes showed a lot about him.

I counted 6 boxing gloves and have just had a call from AXN :o:D

Im going with Anthony on the next one. I think he is playing the injured a little, but we will see.  The fight where he beat that Jesus preaching inbred, was easy, but his eyes showed a lot about him.

I counted 6 boxing gloves and have just had a call from AXN  :o  :D

The previews for the next bout between Jesse and Anthony indicate one of their familie's is 'devastated at the fighter's ring injury', which indicates to me that Anthony is going to lose due to this referenced injury.

Peter is a good fighter, but gets hit often and seems to lose confidence. He certainly punished Joey.

Alphonso has beat 2 quality fighters and also has confidence. However, he face was bruised a lot more than his 2nd opponent after the fight was over.

Sergio does not have the hitting power of some of the stronger contenders, but good boxing skills and smart strategy. Will be hard to beat.

Jesse is a good athlete, and very confident. He may take the whole thing.

I'll be traveling around Thailand when the finale is fought, and will probably miss it. Hope AXN replays it often!

It seems like a one-sided match but a deadly uppercut changed the whole scene.

Could see Jesse was tired after he was forced to lose his extra weight earlier in the day. He knew he was losing the match as he barely got his punches on target, and he just got to take out Anthony one way or another to win. Or maybe he was lucky when he got the uppercut on target :D

And the amount of jabs he got from Anthony could make a person like me go blind right after the 4th punch. I think if you were to timed Anthony's punches it would be something like 9 punches in 3 seconds. It's like getting hit by 3 guys at one time.

Anyway, 2 more mathes to go before the Finale at Las Vegas.

Who do you want to be in the finals?

(I'll let you all know my vote later :o )

Explorer :D

I definately feel sorry for Anthony! I actually predicted a knockout while watching the 1st round as there was a few wild uppercuts being thrown around and I thought one would actually connect - but didnt know from whom. :o

He had that fight sewn up and didnt really have to do much more, except box. He went a little wild and paid the price. :D

Anyway I predict Alfonso will take the crown, but not sure who will be in it with him. If it was Jessie I would be surprised, but I also was last night.

Alfonso or Segio for me, but if Peter Manfredo was there as well, it would be interesting. did I cover all my bets? :D

Anyone who is a boxing fan, make sure you tune into The Contender, I watched it last night (first episode) and it was truly great.

Last night a "nobody" punched his way into the next round by beating the No.3. in the world. It was one of the best fights I have ever seen, much like a Rocky movie, blow by blow - absolutely brilliant!  :D

The second show is on Friday (UBC series channel I think it was), you should make a point of watching it.

Is it on in England? Chonabot?

Sorry mate , only read this post today.

Yes it's on over here and a decent bit of entertainment so it is !

:o

I'm rooting for Alfonso, too. I don't expect him to win; Manfredo is good, and is taking it seriously since he already was eliminated once. I think Juan showed great judgement by pulling out.

Has anyone else been watching the Ultimate Fighter competition? They could learn some lessons from Contender on how to run a competition like this.

Will be watching tonight's match...still in schock from the last one. Really didn't see that uppercut coming... :o

Closer to home, read this in the Nation today; Maybe Tornado caught this match in Vegas?

-----------------

Sirimongkol shows his class with a TKO win

Published on May 16, 2005

[bOXING] Thailand’s new lightweight sensation Sirimongkol Singwangcha has his eyes firmly fixed on a big pay-day after demolishing the top ranked Michael Clark with a technical knockout decision at the packed MGM Grand Arena in Las Vegas early yesterday (Bangkok time).

“I’ve never felt better about fighting,” Sirimongkol said after punishing Clarke into submission with a combination of hard punches at the beginning of the seventh round.

“I feel very strong in the lightweight division,” he added. “This is my one chance and I want to be the champion again.”

The former welterweight world title holder is likely to get a non-title match-up with the WBC/WBO lightweight title holder Diego Chico Corrales.

“I have no fears in fighting Corrales or Castillo,” said Sirimongkol. Jose Luis Castillo narrowly lost to Corrales by TKO after twice knocking his opponent down.

While the fans are demanding a Corrales/Castillo match-up, Corrales would probably take up the option of a non-title pay-day fight with Sirimongkol before slugging it out again with Castillo.

Sirimongkol’s manager, Narish Singhawangcha, said his fighter “showed to the world that he is back on the track of a champion. He came to Las Vegas to show that he’s a genuine world title contender”.

“I’m enjoying fighting again, “ said Sirimongkol. “I realise now that I have to take every fight that comes along. I have no excuses. The weight is no problem .I’m just relieved to have won my comeback fight.”

Sirimongkol troubled Clarke in every round with exceptionally hard punches to the face and body. The only weakness in the Thai’s fighting style was his open defence. A fighter of Corrales’ ability would have taken advantage of his low guard.

Sirimongkol said he would tighten up his defence and admitted his aggressive style left him open to counter attacks. But he said he was never worried by Clarke.

“I knew I would knock him out,” he told The Nation.

Although being warned twice about low blows, Sirimongkol was the dominant fighter and from the outset, it was only a matter of time before Clarke capitulated to the hard punching Thai.

Sirimongkol knocked down Clarke in the fifth round. The end came at one minute, 27 seconds into the seventh round after Clarke desperately tried to upset the Thai with a last-ditch flurry.

“Once I forced him back with punches I knew that I had him,” said Sirimongkol.

Sirimongkol finished the contest with a left and right combination that sent Clarke to the canvas.

-----

Meanwhile, the much anticipated “fight of the year” – the showdown between Felix Trinidad and Winky Wright – was a one way battle. Wright was too cleaver, too quick and much smarter.

So one-sided was the contest that two of the three judges said Wright won every round and the other judge determined that Trinidad won only one of 12 rounds.

Puerto Rico’s “king of the ring” had no answer to southpaw Wright’s piston-like right jabs and his straight right and left punches. As hard as he tried, Trinidad could not get through Winky’s immaculate defence.

Holding his gloves high, Wright was devastating with his counter punches. Several times Trinidad, who had previously lost only one of 45 contests, buckled when Wright connected with hard hitting straight rights.

Wright lived up to his pre-fight boast of stalking Trinidad, giving the Puerto Rican a well planned hiding.

“I did what I said I would do. I had the right fight plan to beat Tito and it worked in every round,” he said.

Wright said he had no fears of a rematch.

“I know how to beat Tito”.

Trinadad, 32, was beaten by an aggressive Wright, 33, who showed intense discipline in not standing toe-to-toe in a slug fest.

“I said I can hit and not get hit. I don’t go for a knockout for the sake of a knockout. My focus is to box and to win,” said Wright.

Trinidad now faces the hard choice of either challenging current champion Bernard Hopkins or a rematch with Wright.

It’s unlikely that Trinidad – who is in the stable of Don King – will want to fight Wright again in the near future.

On the undercard, American Zab Judah retained his undisputed welterweight title by stopping Cosme Rivera in the third round and and Will Grigsby dethroned Victor Burgos to claim the IBF junior flyweight title.

Patrick Cusick

The Nation

Las Vegas

Edited by bahtandsold

'Little' Alfonso bowed out to Peter in the rematch... :D He can hold his head high since he dominated cocky Ahmed and surprised Peter the first time out. Difficult to follow the scoring but it hardly looked unaminous. Doubt if if Jesse's eye can mend in the real time three day turnaround. He may need another 12th hour uppercut show stopper but due to his eye, will have to fight like it's a 3 rounder, not 7 (he got lucky last time out :o) Alfonso, a class act to the end.

Great fight again last night, that Segio has a big heart and boxed smart in that last round. He kept away from the Jessie haymaker and deserved the victory. Manfredo and the Latin Snake in the final!

Ill stay with Sergio for the mil!

AXN gave away the fight results between Jesse and Sergio early last night. After the 4th round, when the fight seemed even, AXN shows a promo for the finale which included Peter and Sergio duking it out. I think they did this at least one time before.

Regarding the fight between Jesse and Anthony (won by Jesse), I recall a trainer telling Anthony to go after Jesse and 'finish him' in the last round, even though Anthony had a big lead then, and only had to survive that round to win. Wonder if that advice was motivated by a desire to keep the action hot throughout the fight for ratings.

I'm for Sergio in the last fight, but believe Peter's boxing skills and power will overcome the quick, but weak-hitting Latin Snake.

Will AXN Thailand show the final on Monday night at 21:00, the normal telecast time in Thailand?

I think it is on tomorrow night, but then again what they advertise and what they show is anyones guess.. Wednesday 25th at 10pm is what has been advertised.

I also think Peter is a ###### of a boxer, but I think Sergio's street ways and heart will take hime to victory.. His Latin girlfriend has a gorgeous face BTW... :o

It does look like the final is tonight, as they are showing the final in the USA Tuesday night. I may have to slip the GF some valium before fight time to ensure there are no distractions. :o

I second Sergio's squeeze as the most attractive partner. Jesse's wife, despite the giant knockers, is the least desirable. Peter's daughter gets my vote for cutest kid.

Sergio will have to stay away from inside slugfests with Peter. Everytime Jesse held Sergio in close, he hammered him.

The bars will have to forego my business tonight.

Sergio will have to stay away from inside slugfests with Peter.  Everytime Jesse held Sergio in close, he hammered him.

Turned out the opposite tonight tho. Sergio seemed to thrive on inside combos with his back to the ropes and looks like Tornado picked the mil winner. For my money, Alfonso was the real contender tho :o

Sly slipped (or telegraphed) a line by asking Alfonso if he'd like a crack at the winner. I'd love to see him and Sergio go at it! Shades of Peter's first bout? :D:D

Bottom line, don't count Brunett out... :D

Edited by bahtandsold

Well, hang on, Im just taking a bow :o:D

The Latin Snake really did win the fight quite easily. I did not understand Manfredo heading for the ropes every minute as he was getting beaten with that tactic the whole fight. Manfredo was not fit enough, he had no punching power at all in the last two rounds. Anyway Im happy for Sergio and his family, they obviously really needed the cash and he was definately the hungriest for it.

I thought the telecast was second rate, without SLY being the producer. It lacked that Rockyesqu blow by blow camera work and I think it would of been far more exciting if they had taped and edited as they do weekly with the show.

Another strange thing was, that they didnt hand over any money??? The $1 mil was the driving force to win the fight, so why not hand it over on camera straight after the fight? :D - A large sponsor type cheque would of been great TV - I found that part a major let down...

I enjoyed the series and I hope they come back with heavier weights in the next series (Heavy/light heavy), but as sly is so short, he might not allow it :D

Ok first off sylvester is a hasbeen and is like jean claude van dam...wouldn't last 2 sec in the ring against a real fighter.

He made some movies about boxing now thinks he is a master of it or something?  :o I bet some our local youth boxers could take him out.

the show is a joke anyway,Reality tv is full of these people called "actors".None of those guys will be seen fighting for world championships...EVER!

and second "The only "Sport" where the sole objective is to inflict physical injury on your opponent - it should be banned in any civilised Country."

So you want me out of work?  :D I can see how some people don't understand it or think it's two guys trying to kill each other when in reality it's not.

in NHB/MMA(no holds barred/mixed-martial arts) I try to make the guy quit by either submission or a series of strikes.It is a skilled fight not a street fight.

look at a street fight and than watch a fighting sport.you see two guys circling waiting for an opening picking there spots to throw a strike or try for a takedown.It is like a chess match,except a lot more fun :D

and also as a fighter I can take harder strikes than a normal person,so even if I am catching elbows/knees to the face,even though it may look brutal it does far less damage than if it was done to your average person.The strikes are not even thrown as hard as possible,most pro boxers only punch to their fullest power maybe 2-3 times in there entire career.

no one has ever died in the sport I fight in,but plenty of people die skydiving,skiing,and even playing golf! so due to the risk of death should those sports be banned?

YAWNNNNNNNNN