Importing A Car From U.k To Thailand

kevinc

Hi Guys,

I was thinking of importing a mini (BMW) to Thailand, I know that we have to pay massive import tax and i have read the forums regarding this.

I was thinking buying a 3 year old mini then registering the car in England in my wifes name, (She is Thai) but she is not in England, (I can register it in anyones name here). Apparently i could declare it as sorn, (Off the road in England) keep it in my garage for 18 months then import it as 'HER' car thus avoiding import tax because its registered to her for 18 months??

The topics that i read say that in someway this maybe possible and one topic had a link to another thai-visa posting but the link was dead.

As anyone one got any clues to this? If i imported it do i have to keep it in her name for 5 years or something, (I mean do i get like a fine if in 3 years we sell it in Thailand?), We have no intention of selling it but i just wanted to know that bit too?

Any help would be apreciated.

My wife is a manager of a big company and has her own (Paid for not by me) house thats 6 million baht so she has income, (Incase i got to the 'investingation of earnings' stage like land ownership)

I know this is a boring topic that probably has been researched by many for years but i seem to get to a dead end when i look.

Cheers... Kevin :)

Standard reply is 'don't even think about it', but I'll move this to motoring where you'll likely get more of the same.

I believe that she must be a returning Thai citizen to stand even a remote chance of getting the reduced duty.

Kevinc..............Things may get better in 18 mths............ but then again they may get worse

(not sure they COULD get worse but who knows). the general idea is that you are going to go to the bother of buying the Mini then keeping it in the garage for 18 months then having the hassle of getting it over to Thailand passed customs and then trying to get it registered. well you must have far more time and money than is healthy........

So because i am big hearted. I will ask you for a loan (so i can buy a new Kawasaki Ninja 650) of 267thou baht with repayments of 8,000 baht a month for 3 years. therefore giving you 600baht a month profit (21,600b) there told you i was kind hearted. what do ya say?

Allan

Kevinc..............Things may get better in 18 mths............ but then again they may get worse

(not sure they COULD get worse but who knows). the general idea is that you are going to go to the bother of buying the Mini then keeping it in the garage for 18 months then having the hassle of getting it over to Thailand passed customs and then trying to get it registered. well you must have far more time and money than is healthy........

So because i am big hearted. I will ask you for a loan (so i can buy a new Kawasaki Ninja 650) of 267thou baht with repayments of 8,000 baht a month for 3 years. therefore giving you 600baht a month profit (21,600b) there told you i was kind hearted. what do ya say?

Allan

Sounds quite interesting?

I may put it by the wife? A deal if i could ride it for the 3 years?? :):D

Dont bother ,still dont know where the jag we imported 6 years ago is ,some guy at the docks more than likely still driving it.

... Yes i get you.. Thanks for the replies, I did realise a little that i would have to be 'very well connected' to get any kind of imported car into Thailand to keep, I am sure that many 'farangs' import them, pay a little, (or alot) of 'tea money' only to see them drive past you, aircon and stereo on, on the Sukhamvit whilst your struggling on a Honda wave in a b300 helmet!!