Bars Closed Again.

brzy

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have been handed a letter stating that from 6pm friday August 21st untill 00:00 August 24th all restaurants, bars and hotels are prohibited from selling alcohol and also again on the 29th and the 30th.

The reason for this weeks closures is due to some major political position up for grabs. From what i have been told (the letter was all in thai) this affects all of southern Thailand.

ha ha bet the tourists arriving for a trip of a lifetime will have to settle for lemonade and temples . And never come here again, sure they dont NEED to drink but try having a glass of water at a seafood buffet at the Marriott , ridicules

Edited by zorro1

The reason for this weeks closures is due to some major political position up for grabs. From what i have been told (the letter was all in thai) this affects all of southern Thailand.

This election is only for Suratthani.

It's for MP from Suratthani.

The last one elected screwed up and we have to this one more time to elect his brother instead.

This topic comes up every time there is an election going on in Thailand.

And think all of you who complains against the bars are closed during these days acts like small children who are stamping their feet and cries very loud " I want my candies now"

As a tourist in any countries you have to stick to the national laws and you cannot claim that this laws shall not be for foreigners.

And if you are so addicted to alcohol you can go to any store from Tesco to small locals and by your drinks in advance.

And if this is to much to ask for go to another country during the election days

And think all of you who complains against the bars are closed during these days acts like small children who are stamping their feet and cries very loud " I want my candies now"

As a tourist in any countries you have to stick to the national laws and you cannot claim that this laws shall not be for foreigners.

And if you are so addicted to alcohol you can go to any store from Tesco to small locals and by your drinks in advance.

And if this is to much to ask for go to another country during the election days

Hey why dont explain to tourists as they arrive. Hundreds of young lads ready for the time of their life . Tell them to not complain and respect the national laws. Also tell tough them titties that the Thais dont bother to tell travel agents as a general warning. After all foreigner cant vote so they wouldnt want us having a drink on those days. Then explain to all the fariang bar owners that they must shut however tittle hole in the wall bars owned by Thais are still open serving drinks in a mug cause they are Thai.

I know a lot of people that don't drink and are happy staying home playing Kill the Conan war games on their high spec computers. Im not one of them. Why do you insinuate one needs to be an alcoholic to enjoy a few beers, a comment childish in the extreme.

Maybe someone booked their holiday 6 months ago and I doubt that the closure of the bars was advertised in the travel brochure. After not having a break for 12 months and working 6 days a week I would think the tourist would like to come and relax and maybe have a few beers and a night out when he wants...so the buying in advance is either no use and certainly no fun for him.......I know of many guys that used to visit Thailand 2-3 times a year..Dec 2007 was their last time, the bars were shut 3 weekends in a row...needless to say they have never returned and now spend their hard earned cash in Cambodia.....

Maybe someone booked their holiday 6 months ago and I doubt that the closure of the bars was advertised in the travel brochure. After not having a break for 12 months and working 6 days a week I would think the tourist would like to come and relax and maybe have a few beers and a night out when he wants...so the buying in advance is either no use and certainly no fun for him.......I know of many guys that used to visit Thailand 2-3 times a year..Dec 2007 was their last time, the bars were shut 3 weekends in a row...needless to say they have never returned and now spend their hard earned cash in Cambodia.....

I for myself don`t believe that most of the tourists who come to Thailand just for sit drinking in any bar. There are so much more to do, to see and to experience in this beautiful country. Remember now is summer holiday i Europe and many families with children are visiting Thailand at this time. And they are certainly NOT bar-visitors.

I for myself don`t believe that most of the tourists who come to Thailand just for sit drinking in any bar. There are so much more to do, to see and to experience in this beautiful country. Remember now is summer holiday i Europe and many families with children are visiting Thailand at this time. And they are certainly NOT bar-visitors.

your right, most are regulars to thailand and have their locals. Majority of families come for the islands. Trying to not insult you so will bight my tongue, ouch, anyway what do you think couples do on holidays with or without kids? you dont know? will i will tell you, they let the inahabitions fade away whilst lazing in the sun him with an icy cold beer, her with a cocktail. puts them in the mood for a bit of aftrenoon delight that they dont get to have home due to pressures of work and every day life. Why do you need this explained to you like a school kid. Sitting on an island drinking ice water for 3 days because they are forced to is not the tropical dream. Sheesh what harm could there be in letting resorts serve to their guests?

your right, most are regulars to thailand and have their locals. Majority of families come for the islands. Trying to not insult you so will bight my tongue, ouch, anyway what do you think couples do on holidays with or without kids? you dont know? will i will tell you, they let the inahabitions fade away whilst lazing in the sun him with an icy cold beer, her with a cocktail. puts them in the mood for a bit of aftrenoon delight that they dont get to have home due to pressures of work and every day life. Why do you need this explained to you like a school kid. Sitting on an island drinking ice water for 3 days because they are forced to is not the tropical dream. Sheesh what harm could there be in letting resorts serve to their guests?

AS ABOVE......I think Blackwolf is in his house on the beer trying to wind people up on here.... nobody can be that dull surly?

I work hard and look after myself at home......probably have a drink say once a month if im lucky ....... when i come to Samui i find myself sitting by the pool drinking Chang by mid day ....... thats what holidays are all about ......  break from the norm

if i arrived and found i couldnt have a drink for 3 days i would cry....

bet the bar owners aint too pleased either ...... tourism down and now they cant even sell beer to the ones that are here ...... you swear the authorities are trying to put them out of buisness ....

ha ha bet the tourists arriving for a trip of a lifetime will have to settle for lemonade and temples . And never come here again, sure they dont NEED to drink but try having a glass of water at a seafood buffet at the Marriott , ridicules

when have you ever not been able to find a beer on no beer days? just have to drink out of a cup and be a bit discreet.

dont think the Marriott would do that lol. In BKK unless your local it can be hard to find, I know where to look but a newbie tourist wouldnt. You see them actually drinking water at places like day night bar soi 4 . not a cup in sight anywhere. Especially famlys, and honeymooners, couples they would hardly be looking for a lights out bar drinking beer out of a coffee mug. Kind of defeats the purpose of a romantic 5 star holiday don't you think

Edited by zorro1

I land on the 29th and look forward to my iced water! :D best get sloshed at bkk airport and on the plane before I land on samui then! or just find one of the fair few bars that discreetly sell beer anyway, quite nice having a few games of pool without the ridiculously loud music anyway :)

I for myself don`t believe that most of the tourists who come to Thailand just for sit drinking in any bar.

Don't be daft. While "sitting drinking in any bar," is not required, it is absurd to close liquor sales on Samui for a local election or anything.

This is a tourist island and whatever elections or Buddha days are on the calendar have absolutely nothing to do with the foreigners here on vacation -- whether they are here for the horndogging or the seafood and sun.

Alcohol is the universal social lubricant and on holiday, letting your hair down is part of the experience. I cannot imagine the dismay of some who arrived last night for a three or two-day stay only to find that it's a Shirley Temple holiday.

I wanted to add this: closing the bars on Saturday in Lamai is a serious financial blow to owners. Not holding the lady Thai boxing will affect the bottom lines of all the microbars there for the month. Just when the tourists had returned, we have had two Saturday closings something like a month apart.

Everyone suffers.

I wanted to add this: closing the bars on Saturday in Lamai is a serious financial blow to owners. Not holding the lady Thai boxing will affect the bottom lines of all the microbars there for the month. Just when the tourists had returned, we have had two Saturday closings something like a month apart.

Everyone suffers.

Agreed, and telling resorts not to serve alcohol to guests, if this indeed was /is the case, is totally ridiculous.

:)

No ban here...............if you feel so strongly about it go to Bophut or take a plane to Bangkok

Hair of the dog nyone......?

Where is "here," and why do you adopt the "like it or lump it" strategy? I live here so if I want a drink or want to see the boxing show I can wait; many tourists here now can't. And as I said, the owners of the bars count on the Saturday event to be quite profitable.

IF the idea of not selling alcohol on election days is to avoid trouble at the balloting stations or between rival supporters, that has NOTHING to do with Samui's entertainment zones (read: the entire island).

The national tourism bureau needs to take a hard look at this situation.

:D

No ban here...............if you feel so strongly about it go to Bophut or take a plane to Bangkok

Hair of the dog nyone......?

Ok that's the second time you have said that Smokie.What's your angle? :)

I for myself don`t believe that most of the tourists who come to Thailand just for sit drinking in any bar.

Don't be daft. While "sitting drinking in any bar," is not required, it is absurd to close liquor sales on Samui for a local election or anything.

This is a tourist island and whatever elections or Buddha days are on the calendar have absolutely nothing to do with the foreigners here on vacation -- whether they are here for the horndogging or the seafood and sun.

Alcohol is the universal social lubricant and on holiday, letting your hair down is part of the experience. I cannot imagine the dismay of some who arrived last night for a three or two-day stay only to find that it's a Shirley Temple holiday.

Tourist's, Touristspots and Tourist Venues, typically

frequented by tourists should all be exempted from

this "law" - instead alcohol sold illegally to locals,

locals found drunk to be heavily fined and sentenced to

community labor, cleaning up the scenery!

Foreigners have nothing to do with elections and should all be

exempted from this very funny law enforcement!

In fact, as of my knowledge my guess is that on these

"prohibition" days more alcohol is consumed and more

"back door" parties are celebrated buy locals then on any other ordinary" day!

What about all the migrant workers who are not illegible for local

elections?

It's an ancient power, flexing muscle rule, not a proper law that suits 21st Century

requirements and realities!

Or is there any evidence of an upheaval of unruly and drunk people at elections or

evidence that people claimed "I have been drunk, so I made a mistake voting for these guys"?

Edited by Samuian

Everyone suffers.

Tourists are back to the island? That is vey bad, i can already see the usual 20% price increase on december.... :)

Is it so bad to watch lady Thai boxing drinking coke or pepsi?

I tryed one time but the fight was delayed and the beer was overpriced, so after a coke i left...