Krabi - Richie Collins

Humphrey Bear

I have just received an unconfirmed report that a friend of mine, Richie Collins, 190cm Brit, has been stabbed to death on the beach.

Can anyone confirm / deny?

He is / was one of the sweetest guys around - absolutely inoffensive.

Please can someone respond?

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, Pleasant.

Yes, he's dead - died last night, shortly after being stabbed twice in the chest.

Was with him a couple of days ago, expected to see him again next week.

What is left of the rock-climbing and diving fraternities in South West Thailand will all know him, he'd been around for several years, working as an instructor in both disciplines, as well as working on the Suvarnabhumi Airport.

Really sorely missed.

Edited by Humphrey Bear

Briton stabbed to death in southern Thailand

A British man was stabbed to death in southern Thailand after he made advances toward the assailant's girlfriend, police said Wednesday.

Richard Mark Collins, 35, from Hereford, England, was stabbed Tuesday night by a Thai taxi driver in the tourist town of Krabi, said police Lt. Col. Jakra Sawakol. Collins was stabbed twice and rushed to a hospital, where he later died.

Police arrested Uthen Duangnoi, a 29-year-old taxi driver who said he stabbed Collins out of anger after the victim made sexual advances toward Uthen's girlfriend, Jakra said.

Collins' girlfriend, Panida Meedi, 24, said he had been working for four years for Thai Heritage, one of several companies building a new international airport on the outskirts of Bangkok.

Collins and Panida lived in Bangkok, but visited Krabi periodically and were friends with Uthen and his girlfriend, she said.

"Richard went to their house, and I was informed that he was stabbed," Panida told The Associated Press. "I don't now how it happened."

Uthen has been detained on murder-related charges, police said. It was unclear what possible penalty he faces as the exact charges were not immediately known.

Krabi, a popular tourist spot along Thailand's southern coast, was among six provinces badly hit by the deadly Asian tsunami on Dec. 26.

A spokesman for the British Embassy in Bangkok was not immediately available for comment.

/topic moved to news section

"Uthen has been detained on murder-related charges, police said. It was unclear what possible penalty he faces as the exact charges were not immediately known. "

"MURDER RELATED CHARGES" ???? Words escape me once more :o

"Uthen has been detained on murder-related charges, police said. It was unclear what possible penalty he faces as the exact charges were not immediately known. "

"MURDER RELATED CHARGES" ???? Words escape me once more :D

MURDER RELATED CHARGES, YOU MUST MEAN SUICIDE, That's they way it will be re-classified. :o

There are different patterns how Westerners and Thais react emotionally, especially with anger. We Westerners get sometimes a bit hot under the collar, which is frowned upon here (joi ron), but rarely loose control where we leave all reasoning behind.

Do correct me if I'm wrong.

Thais will stay outwardly calm right up to the point where they start going beserk without any thought regarding the outcome. I do believe that plenty of Westerners don't see this coming because we are so used to our pattern of behavior.

There also seem to be certain areas where Thais allow themselves to go bonkers a lot sooner, perceived advances towards their girlfriend is one of them.

My thoughts go out to his relatives and friends.

The man who spells "jealous" as "gelous" is calling someone else an idiot?

"Murder-related charges" indicating that it has not decided what murder charge to book him under...1st degree, 2nd degree, etc. It's not as simple as just "murder".

Thais will stay outwardly calm right up to the point where they start going beserk

The 'Jai Yen' of Thais is a social convention in the absence of which they may become very angry indeed.

Jai Yen has been likened to the cool icy aloofness of British - but its inaccurate - because behind a Pommy's icy carapace they can warm up and be friendly. Behind the Thai's 'jai yen' there sometimes lurks real rage.

Thais are also very "hungh" (meaning 'jealous in matters of love") - they even have this special word for it. Not just 'it-cha" meaning normal jealous.

According to my experiences of the Thai Police this will be the story. This poor Thai taxi driver was simply cleaning his fingernails with a bread knife when this crazy farang just ran onto it backwards, twice.

I remember my Thai nephew stabbed an Indian to death over the price of a pair of jeans about 20 years ago. He served 2 years if I remember clearly.

In the Thai language they say "jai akaart maart rai" which if you hear a Thai guy saying may mean you need to get the reeboks on for a quick bolt in the opposite direction.

I once saw a drunk Thai guy insult a Policeman calling him a crooked, corrupt, khaki wearing bandit. The cop just got up and shot him in the bar.

Look at Duangchalerm Yubumrung, he wastes a cop in a nightclub in front of hundreds of people. Yet he walks. Money talks and you walk in the Thai system.

Skinbags

I have just received an unconfirmed report that a friend of mine, Richie Collins, 190cm Brit, has been stabbed to death on the beach.

Yet again a taxi driver, and as sorry as I am for the victim's family, I believe the story of jealousy is bullocks, sorry but there is a lot more to this story, as there always is :o

Yet again a taxi driver, and as sorry as I am for the victim's family, I believe the story of jealousy is bullocks, sorry but there is a lot more to this story, as there always is :o

I have to say i agree with this. :D

There are different patterns how Westerners and Thais react emotionally, especially with anger. We Westerners get sometimes a bit hot under the collar, which is frowned upon here (joi ron), but rarely loose control where we leave all reasoning behind.

Do correct me if I'm wrong.

Thais will stay outwardly calm right up to the point where they start going beserk without any thought regarding the outcome. I do believe that plenty of Westerners don't see this coming because we are so used to our pattern of behavior.

There also seem to be certain areas where Thais allow themselves to go bonkers a lot sooner, perceived advances towards their girlfriend is one of them.

My thoughts go out to his relatives and friends.

i am a whiteman who used to goe to black bars in america to hear blues and hang arround black people. i found that i could survive in black bars by not hitting on other guys girls.

there are plenty of woman available for farangs in this country, it is unique in that respect. thai men in this country are very accepting of farang man, thai woman relations.

i dont know the brit that was killed and of course he didn't deserve what he got. the guy could have told him to get the heck out of his cab and walk home. i hope that the thai man pays for this crime.

in farang murdered by thai cases, my mind always drifts back to a german man that was shot in chaingmai about four years ago. i happen to meet his girlfriend after the incident. she told me that the german guy took care of her family and bought them a house. but he did have a reputation as being a snook when he got high. he flipped off a thai man with a crippled leg, and it was as though all the years of being abused for being handicaped came out at the german guy.

somehow all this stuff seems to evolve around alcohol and drugs and in chaingmai it is rumored that the german guys murder was over drugs.

better to stay away from drugs and bars if you want to grow old in this country.

Yet again a taxi driver
This is a crime of passion, not a random rob n' kill like Bernard in Sattahip last week.

Lets not frighten everyone about cab drivers, my Father-in-law is a Taxi Driver and he wouldn't hurt a fly.

better to stay away from drugs and bars if you want to grow old in this country.

Girls too , in poor Ritchie's case.

If the facts are true in this story...I would think an Englishman would know better then to hit on another man's girl. I have seen many fights started by someone looking at an Englishman's girlfriend.

i am a whiteman who used to goe to black bars in america to hear blues and hang arround black people. i found that i could survive in black bars by not hitting on other guys  

Odd behaviour???Why where you really hanging aroung black bars mraloha.????

and what color was your b/f??

better to stay away from drugs and bars if you want to grow old in this country

bIzzarre comment...<read above>

i dont know the brit that was killed and of course he didn't deserve what he got. the guy could have told him to get the heck out of his cab and walk home.

Where does it say he was murdered in the guys taxi?????

somehow all this stuff seems to evolve around alcohol and drugs and in chaingmai it is rumored that the german guys murder was over drugs.

Baffles me how your still alive.

Hanging around 'black bars'to be with black people(or in your case to try and be black)

lol...

typical septic talk

Edited by lovethailandlongtime

Best is to stay indoors, like I do, and not go out (especially after dark), and not go to bars and places where people carry knives and guns eg: dark unlit streets, bridges, buses, taxis, sois, outside 7-11, inside 7-11, bus stops, cinemas (very dark)

Just stay at home, and play on Thaivisa.com. I do and I am as happy as a pig in poo.