18 Months Valid Passport For One-year Visa

That is correct. Only when you still have a valid multiple visa you have to travel with both passports. Once the visa is expired, you can only use the new passport.

The reason is that immigration doesn't transfer a visa, only the details about it. So if your visa is still valid you have to use your old passport to show the visa. All stamps for permission to stay will be entered in the new passport.

Thanks Lop and Mario for your replies. You two always have the answers, and they can always be relied on! :)

Got a 1 year visa earlier this year with only 3 months left on passport. Then brought the new passport to immigration and had all the details transferred -- just cost more money.

Did you get a new visa from a consulate or embassy abroad or a 1 year extension of stay from immigration? Sounds to me you did the last, for which no 6 month validity is required.

Note that transferring your details to a new passport doesn't cost any money. It is free.

As for the airline. They can get fined for taking you to Thailand (and many other countries) without the propper travel documents. That includes a valid passport.

My friend had 10 months left on his passport last December and Suan Plu only extended his "retirement purpose visa" for 10 months.

Edited by mojaco

At the appropriate time you will need to transfer your permission to stay to your new passport. The visa will not be transferred, but details will be noted in your new passport. Make sure the embassy gives you a letter saying they have issued you with a new passport as immigration will need to see it. You will need to travel with both passports during the validity of your visa.

I no longer have an extension, as under the discriminatory Thai regulations Thai women can no longer combine their Income with their husbands, so I'll be doing Border runs for the next 12 months. I'll get a new passport next month so I won't have to hassle anymore, and do my first run in December.

But why will I need an Embassy letter if I have a new passport in my hand, along with my old one with the Visa???

CS

Because your permission to stay could quite well go beyond the expiry date of your passport, therefore it would need transferring into your new passport. You cannot leave the country on an expired passport, and your permission to stay stamp and new TM6 card from immigration would not be in your new passport either.

I'm Confused... :)

Let me be clear... My Passport is valid for 6 months... I need to do a 3-Month Visa Stamp run in December... but by then my Passport will only be valid for another 3 months, so I can legally leave Thailand, but I won't be able to re-enter.... So, Next month I'll get a New passport.

When I do the Cambodian Run, I don't understand why I need to get anything transferred.... I have the old passport with the Entry Stamp and Visa... I have the new passport with the required 6+months (actually 10 years) ... Isn't this enough.... ?????

By the time I get my new passport, Immigration will have moved, and for me It's a major trip to go to the new place. I'd rather not do it if I don't have to.

Are you sure I need to do this????

CS

Got a 1 year visa earlier this year with only 3 months left on passport. Then brought the new passport to immigration and had all the details transferred -- just cost more money.

Did you get a new visa from a consulate or embassy abroad or a 1 year extension of stay from immigration? Sounds to me you did the last, for which no 6 month validity is required.

Note that transferring your details to a new passport doesn't cost any money. It is free.

As for the airline. They can get fined for taking you to Thailand (and many other countries) without the propper travel documents. That includes a valid passport.

Got the visa in Thailand. It was written in passport to expire on the passport expiry date and then transferred to the new passport with the new expiry date after 1 year. Perhaps this is what cost the money or maybe it was free as you say --- TBH I can't remember.

Re airlines etc -- my point is that a passport is still valid, even if it has less than 6 months left. I always make sure that my return ticket is within the passport validity period, and have never been refused yet. I have also travelled to Thailand with less than 6 mths validity on my passport.

My friend had 10 months left on his passport last December and Suan Plu only extended his "retirement purpose visa" for 10 months.

That is the corect procedure. Immigration doesn't extend your stay beyond the date you passport is valid. When your friend has a new passport he should return to immigration to have his stamps transfered and they will also give him the extra 2months to make it a full year extension.

I'm Confused... :)

Let me be clear... My Passport is valid for 6 months... I need to do a 3-Month Visa Stamp run in December... but by then my Passport will only be valid for another 3 months, so I can legally leave Thailand, but I won't be able to re-enter.... So, Next month I'll get a New passport.

When I do the Cambodian Run, I don't understand why I need to get anything transferred.... I have the old passport with the Entry Stamp and Visa... I have the new passport with the required 6+months (actually 10 years) ... Isn't this enough.... ?????

By the time I get my new passport, Immigration will have moved, and for me It's a major trip to go to the new place. I'd rather not do it if I don't have to.

Are you sure I need to do this????

CS

When you get a new passport, your old passport will be made invalid. Altough a valid visa remains valid, you therefor move your details to your new passport.

I would not change passport in Cambodia, as that would complicate things with your entry and exit stamps for both countries.

Got the visa in Thailand. It was written in passport to expire on the passport expiry date and then transferred to the new passport with the new expiry date after 1 year. Perhaps this is what cost the money or maybe it was free as you say --- TBH I can't remember.

Re airlines etc -- my point is that a passport is still valid, even if it has less than 6 months left. I always make sure that my return ticket is within the passport validity period, and have never been refused yet. I have also travelled to Thailand with less than 6 mths validity on my passport.

You didn't get a new visa in Thailand. A visa is a permit to travel to Thailand and ask for permisison to enter. If you are allowed to enter you get a permission to stay, which is something separate.. It is this permission to stay that you extend, not the visa as you have already entered Thailand.