Big Trouble In Tourist Thailand

jlaw666

Interesting and well done this show is.

I think all else aside, the most important lesson here is: understand the nature of intimidation.

In the jet ski incident, the Thai man is clearly adept at being the bully as tourists are not used to being in this position. Foreigners would do well to remember that there is no timer running; if you know you are in the right, there is no hurry to resolve the issue -- hopefully in your favor. If you have to concede, do so after all other options have been tried and exhausted.

That was very insightful, and a good strategy. Time is on the side of the alleged transgressor, which is often why the complainant wants to get a quick result.

One thing that really jumps out at me is the fact that these are supposed to be British fighting forces? What a bunch of sissies. And stupid under pressure. That guy first knew that he didn't do anything but was ready to flee (it appears that the definition of "run away" is in question here, but there is no doubt that he intended to flee if he could have), and subsequently caved in almost instantly to the Thai's outrageous demand for money. I'm here thinking, "Shit, I thought marines were supposed to be tough. So much for that idea...."

Probably not sissies, just out of context and probably a bit bewildered. I doubt they were expecting aggression on that scale from Thais, especially Thais that one assumes knew they were soldiers. Confusion and uncertainty rather than gonad deficiency I suspect. I was disappointed to see JJ get the money though, they should have tossed a few K on the floor and walked away and left the asshol_e to wonder where all his face had gone. I have no doubt of the result had the goons started in on the marines, who I imagine would have become unconfused quite quickly.

Edited by KevinBloodyWilson

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, I am one of 3 main characters in the program (which is still being filmed by the way!).

Finally people will see what we REALLY do, which is very different to the BS written on chat forums.

It follows the Tourist Police around Thailand, but the main "action" comes from Pattaya.

might be a good show but your comment to see what we really do is ludicrous. you will be good boys when you know the camera is rolling. lets have someone follow you with a camera without your knowledge and see if we get the same movie. I seem to remember a guy sitting on a stool filming you and "oh boy"

Big Trouble for Tourists in Thailand

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbFAqKpGV8M

Howard's a bit slow answering this one?

RAZZ

As for the video lad - get permission before you video or take photos of anyone. Plain rude and highly offensive in a lot of countries. :)

I don't think it was the video itself that set them off, it was following them around with the camera that was annoying them. I can't imagine a different reaction from anyone else, the guys with the camera included.

I don't know of any country where it is illegal to film in a public place or where you have to ask someone's permission first.

RAZZ

As for the video lad - get permission before you video or take photos of anyone. Plain rude and highly offensive in a lot of countries. :)

I don't think it was the video itself that set them off, it was following them around with the camera that was annoying them. I can't imagine a different reaction from anyone else, the guys with the camera included.

I don't know of any country where it is illegal to film in a public place or where you have to ask someone's permission first.

RAZZ

Try The Uk , Even Google earth has to remove pictours if they are ask to,

I think all else aside, the most important lesson here is: understand the nature of intimidation.

In the jet ski incident, the Thai man is clearly adept at being the bully as tourists are not used to being in this position. Foreigners would do well to remember that there is no timer running; if you know you are in the right, there is no hurry to resolve the issue -- hopefully in your favor. If you have to concede, do so after all other options have been tried and exhausted.

Tourists who push back too much will get stomped on the beach.. And the police will do nothing.. The tuk tuks, the mocycs, the jetskis, the bike rentors.. They all know they can act with near total impunity..

Recently a guy got batterred round the head with a big bit of 2x4 wood by motorbike taxis because he parked in a bike parking spot on the public road.. Sticjes / blood / the works.. The bike taxis just went and sat back down on thier bench and the farang got arrested.

Try taking photos or video on a Playground or other public places when you are focusing on a person. :)

There is no law forbidding the taking of photos/videos in a public place in the uk, even taking photos of children.

http://www.urban75.org/photos/photographer...nd-the-law.html

http://www.sirimo.co.uk/2009/05/14/uk-phot...hers-rights-v2/

RAZZ

Edited by RAZZELL

Tourists who push back too much will get stomped on the beach.. And the police will do nothing.. The tuk tuks, the mocycs, the jetskis, the bike rentors.. They all know they can act with near total impunity..

Recently a guy got batterred round the head with a big bit of 2x4 wood by motorbike taxis because he parked in a bike parking spot on the public road.. Sticjes / blood / the works.. The bike taxis just went and sat back down on thier bench and the farang got arrested.

I once tried to park my Bike in the wrong place by accident in Phuket. A motor bike taxi man said i could not park there, i just said sorry in Thai, he asked," you speak Thai" i just said a little bit ,He then said i could park there, after that he became my friend and is still to this day , so not all Thais are bad. They call the southern Thais black harts wounder why.

It certainly would be good, and worthwhile, to be able to volunteer for one's appropriate cause here in Thailand...

Unfortunately, with the exception of Tourist Police volunteer service, as best as I can tell, all other forms of volunteer service in Thailand (teaching, tutoring, non-profits, etc.) by Thai law require the volunteer to jump thru the hoops and expense of obtaining and renewing a Thai work permit or face possible arrest for violating the country's immigration law.

How many members of the forum,volunteer to assist the community in which they live.reasonable question under the circumstances.

I don't see anything in the latest Working of Aliens Act that exempts Tourist Police volunteers from requiring work permits. The only categories I recall exempted are staff of foreign embassies and conulates, staff of United Nations and other multilateral agencies such as the World Bank and International Monetary Fund and people in Thailand to perform emergency work on a short term basis for the Royal Thai Government. All other categories of work whether paid or unpaid require work permits. I imagine that the Immigration Bureau which is part of the police doesn't enforce the law on them because they are working for the police which is regarded by the police as being above the law.

Well don't be surprised if you are attacked mate.

Attacked for what? Taking a photo?

RAZZ

TIT....that one with the camera should be very happy not having trouble with this people....

havnt read the whole thread yet, just saw the vids of the Bravo TV on youtube. Its 5 parts, part one is here -----

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9Bjmemu474...B24&index=0

the other parts are on the same page.

Somebody mentioned yet ANOTHER NAIL IN THE COFFIN? :) ok sorry, nothing funny about this storys, I hope THEY wake up asap

Although there already seems to have been some official reaction in Phuket and Koh Phangan, it will be interesting to see what happens when this TV series hits the news around Thailand. What will the government do when it realizes that the negative perceptions of tourists are not limited to Suvarnabhumi and that this series is likely to be syndicated and shown around the world for the next few years? From the Thai perspective many of the negative perceptions are not actually the result of behaviour by Thais. The story of the English girl busted in Koh Phangan will probably just be seen as a positive indication that drugs are taken seriously in Thailand and foreigners are subject to the same strict laws as Thais. The intellectually challenged Welsman, an ex-con from the UK, in prison in Phuket will be seen in the same way. It is hard for Thais and foreigners to feel much sympathy for his solitary confinement punishment for the assault and battery of another foreign prisoner which he disgustingly gloats over. In the UK he would have been tried again for the assault and had his prison sentence extended. Perhaps that episode will result in a call to deny entry to convicted felons as in the US and UK and other Western countries e.g. Martha Stewart's inability to visit the UK on business since her conviction. The views of the tourist police volunteers will also cause mixed reactions. The two female volunteers in Koh Phangan seem like kindly social workers but many farangs seem rightly or wrongly to dislike intensely the image portrayed by the male volunteers in Pattaya. This image is not helped by the arrest in Pattaya of the former Norwegian volunteer for dealing in heroin. Maybe the government will consider phasing them out, if it feels that they discourage tourism, despite the good that they must do. They are probably illegal, if they don't have work permits anyway.

The corruption hinted at in the series so far can actually be viewed positively by foreign viewers because the police in Koh Phangan seem to be offering get out of jail free cards to those arrested with drugs for a price. Of course it is very sad for those who can't pay but it probably means that a lot of foreigners rightfully arrested on soft (or even hard) drug charges can in fact fly home within a week or two and resume their normal lives, as if nothing had happened, and are spared time in a Thai jail. The scene in Phuket with the repulsive half Thai jet ski operator seems odd and rather contrived with him apparently showing off some kind of a rifle to the camera. Thais will probably point out that he is not really Thai anyway but, well er......half farang.

The Thais may not take into account that Bravo TV is not regularly watched by the prime tourists they like to attract to come and stay in 5 star hotels for two weeks and pee off again after spending a lot of money on bottles of wine at three times the price they could buy it for at home. Perhaps there will be an overreaction to a series that shows foreigners in as poor a light as Thais, if not worse, but does display a sneering attitude to Thailand and its people. I hope the rest of the series will show some of the problems relating to tourism that are not caused by foreigners and are fixable, however difficult.

Edited by Arkady

I'm confused as to why Thai officials allowed this Doc to be filmed in the first place!...did they think it was going to be all smiles and happy happy

holidays?...did they think it was a travel holiday show? Don't think they did there homework on the bravo channel and the type of programs they

produce.

Thailand is not going to gain anything from this,only more bad publicity.The only people who are going to benefit are bravo and the tourists will have

a "heads up" on what to look out for :) Ok...they put a message across that if you do anything illegal your going to be punished....and that's a good thing!

Its not only shown in the UK,i know the RoI,france,belgium,holland and maybe other countries receive Sky tv!, and the message most people are getting from this Doc and other recent events is stay away from Thailand!

^Apart from jetski incident - everything was the tourist's doing. So as far as I am concerned nothing really bad for Thailand's reputation except for few visiting muppets getting themselves in trouble.

Yes, but the general public want a place where they can act stupid and be safe. :)

^Apart from jetski incident - everything was the tourist's doing. So as far as I am concerned nothing really bad for Thailand's reputation except for few visiting muppets getting themselves in trouble.

Fair comment and very true....but there's only been one episode....lets wait and see...i think bravo have a lot more to show!

^Well I havent obviously seen any other episodes, but I'd wager most of the other episodes just holiday makers continuing to make an arse out of themselves.

Previews for next week... we continue to see Misha the banged up bird, and some drunken mercs going mental in Patters. (just have a feeling if this is like the Ibiza/Greek series - def focuses in on bad behaviour of the tourists, but guess we will wait and see)

Although there already seems to have been some official reaction in Phuket and Koh Phangan, it will be interesting to see what happens when this TV series hits the news around Thailand.

The officials in Phuket have already expressed a desire to seek legal action against the filmmakers.

Too late. The film's been made and the film makers have left Thailand. Perhaps they'd be better seeking legal action against the scamming scum that appeared in the film.

One thing that really jumps out at me is the fact that these are supposed to be British fighting forces? What a bunch of sissies. And stupid under pressure. That guy first knew that he didn't do anything but was ready to flee (it appears that the definition of "run away" is in question here, but there is no doubt that he intended to flee if he could have), and subsequently caved in almost instantly to the Thai's outrageous demand for money. I'm here thinking, "Shit, I thought marines were supposed to be tough. So much for that idea...."

Like I said, if these were American Marines, JJ would have likely been thrown a beating if the gun got put away. These British guys looked pretty soft, perhaps it was more of a Navy/Coast Guard outfit. I just can't see a bunch of guys who have been spending their days killing people in a desert being overly intimidated by 3 midget Thai guys who weight a combined total of 150 kg's.

Edited by DonJuanDemarco

Although there already seems to have been some official reaction in Phuket and Koh Phangan, it will be interesting to see what happens when this TV series hits the news around Thailand.

The officials in Phuket have already expressed a desire to seek legal action against the filmmakers.

Too late. The film's been made and the film makers have left Thailand. Perhaps they'd be better seeking legal action against the scamming scum that appeared in the film.

Please understand that you are not the Thai officials father.

Like I said, if these were American Marines, JJ would have likely been thrown a beating if the gun got put away. These British guys looked pretty soft, perhaps it was more of a Navy/Coast Guard outfit. I just can't see a bunch of guys who have been spending their days killing people in a desert being overly intimidated by 3 midget Thai guys who weight a combined total of 150 kg's.

They are 'British fighting forces'. The thing is that the UK government hasn't declared war on Thailand. They're civilians on holiday. I know this might seem strange to those Yanks who believe that the answer to all problems is violence. I suspect that if they were American Marines they wouldn't act much differently. Trailer trash, maybe. Trained troops, maybe not.

Edited by endure

Please understand that you are not the Thai officials father.

As I said, too late. If they want to take action against the film makers they'll have to do it in a western court.

Edited by endure

They are 'British fighting forces'. The thing is that the UK government hasn't declared war on Thailand. They're civilians on holiday. I know this might seem strange to those Yanks who believe that the answer to all problem is violence. I suspect that if they were American Marines they wouldn't act much differently. Trailer trash, maybe. Trained troops, maybe not.

Fighting forces as in, each is carrying their own death count? Cause, several of the American Marines I know, and I know a good few dozen, have just that. Perhaps you just don't know many American Marines, but I just don't think they take well to being extorted and threatened at gun point. But please clarify.

Edited by DonJuanDemarco

They are 'British fighting forces'. The thing is that the UK government hasn't declared war on Thailand. They're civilians on holiday. I know this might seem strange to those Yanks who believe that the answer to all problem is violence. I suspect that if they were American Marines they wouldn't act much differently. Trailer trash, maybe. Trained troops, maybe not.

Fighting forces as in, each is carrying their own death count? Cause, several of the American Marines I know, and I know a good few dozen, have just that. Perhaps you just don't know many American Marines, but I just don't think they take well to being extorted and threaten at gun point. But please clarify.

I'm sure that the US government would approve of their military personnel committing violence against citizens of one of their major allies in SE Asia and probably provoking a major diplomatic incident rather than allowing the due process of law to take place.

I'm sure that the US government would approve of their military personnel committing violence against citizens of one of their major allies in SE Asia and probably provoking a major diplomatic incident rather than allowing the due process of law to take place.

Once someone brings a gun out, the gloves are off. If you think these guys are going to weight the diplomatic consqeunces to making JJ's face unrecognizable, you are wrong. And I doubt the Thai officials would feel a need to cause a big stir over Mr. JJ being beaten to a pulp of his life anyways.

I'm confused as to why Thai officials allowed this Doc to be filmed in the first place!...did they think it was going to be all smiles and happy happy

holidays?...did they think it was a travel holiday show? Don't think they did there homework on the bravo channel and the type of programs they

produce.

Thailand is not going to gain anything from this,only more bad publicity.The only people who are going to benefit are bravo and the tourists will have

a "heads up" on what to look out for :) Ok...they put a message across that if you do anything illegal your going to be punished....and that's a good thing!

Its not only shown in the UK,i know the RoI,france,belgium,holland and maybe other countries receive Sky tv!, and the message most people are getting from this Doc and other recent events is stay away from Thailand!

I'm still curious to know how they did get the thumbs up and how they described the show to the Thai authorities. I also would like to know when the producer says no one was paid who participated as subjects is he knowingly including the "Thai fixer" in this statement? If he can do this show without paying anyone on camera in Thailand than we should get this miracle worker to find a cure for cancer and stop global warming.

Edited by losworld