Terminating Thai Staff

I recently took a position as manager. Several of my staff are not performing, disruptive etc.

What are the procedures for getting rid of them?

Why were you offered the postion as you obviously have no people or man managment skills......

Perfect example of how useless Thai Visa is becoming. This board is so full of bitter, rude time waister that it's rarly possible to get anything useful out of it before the thread turns sour. OP is smart enough to ask for advice, unlike the self-proclaimed experts here. It is only idiots who think they know everything.

Getting rid of staff is at times the best option, and I am sure the OP is in way better position to judge that than anybody else on this board.

WB

Edited by Wonderboy

If the owners of this property knew what some of the staff were up to, they would be outraged if I planned on keeping them.

The Board of Directors hired me to clean house and get the property in shape. I can do that.

I want to follow the local rules and be sensitive to the local customs too, but I am not going to be intimidated and abused by disruptive, lazy staff.

First verbal warnings went out to a couple of them yesterday. I have a house attorney that will give out the 3rd warning and show them the door.

We do have some very good people on staff and they seem pleased with my approach.

Thanks to the TV members that offered positive advice. Appreciate it.

Edited by Serpico

Your Job Descriptions would be good in the West, but in Thailand will be pretty much useless unless they are followed through by managers on a daily basis. Self motivated and proud working Thai workers are hard to find and judging from what you've said - yours aren't.

A better approach would be to hand out daily To-Do lists and have them sign off on it each day. You will have to go double check to make sure it's been done. If it hasn't = written notice x 2, then termination.

You won't have a choice but to have someone there who hands out To-Do lists on a daily basis and have someone in the management to write a To-Do list. They are robots basically, give them something actionable to do on a list and they will do it. But don't give them room to think or analyze or anything that requires logic, they will procrastinate because it's too hard for them to do.

Make them accountable if the work hasn't been done and give them some kanoom when they finish the list. Very primitive, but it works.

seriously now, the daily checklist with someone verifying each, at the end of each shift; has proven to be most effective to date for us....

on the more humorous side, but there are 3 or 4 who can not read--gor gai, kor kai ;

shall we figure out some mercifully dignified way to fire them too....? lol

in reality we love them all, literate or illiterate--just so

everyone produces,

gets individual assigned tasks completed and on time and

gets along with one another -- at least on our premises.... lol

our is certainly far from being a paradise for workers, but neither is it an animal farm either.... lol

cheers