Problems With Land In Nong Phap Area

stevehaigh

has anyone been following the TV news about all the problems with land west of HH? Nong Phap is one example but there's a lot of problem areas west of HH and Cha-am.

much of that land is owned by the queen and is designated for farming only but a lot of developers have been moving into the area, getting upgrades via 'some mechanism', splitting and selling on for a profit.

its been on the TV news for several nights now. the government is reclaiming land and in some cases bulldozing houses. be very careful if you are thinking of buying over there. i got offered a great plot with nice views in Nong Tapot, near Cha-am for only 50,000/rai but the chanoht had a note on the back saying that it could not be sold on until November. this was a while ago and my wife said the deal sounded fishy so we didn't bother. looks like we made the right decision.

steve

I don't know about this particular area but I know that the government and Royal Family owns a lot of land that people are allowed to use but can be taken back at any time, so if you buy land, make sure you are getting a clear chanote with the red colored eagle (or whatever that symbol is) at the top of the page; not a green one or a yellow one. The red ones are the only chanotes that are clear title with no claim by another person or entity. Also make sure the land has been subdivided and your chanote is for the piece you are buying only, not a part of a larger (unsubdivided) chanote that the developer holds in his or his company's name. Have a knowledgeable Thai person check the chanote with the land office to make sure it is correct and genuine. Any Thai person you trust can do this. It doesn't have to be a lawyer or a real estate agent.

hhfarang said:

Any Thai person you trust can do this. It doesn't have to be a lawyer or a real estate agent

Sometimes even Thai's are blinded by falsened Chanote papers like in Phuket and Samui happened.

The only way to be safe is to get a lawyer from Bkk check it and gives his/her approval in a written form.

Steve:

the chanoht had a note on the back saying that it could not be sold on until November

Can you read Thai?

I can only recommend anyone who wants to spend money to just add the lawyer's costs on top. This way you will not get ripped off.

Go to your embassy and ask for a lawyer

I don't know about this particular area but I know that the government and Royal Family owns a lot of land that people are allowed to use but can be taken back at any time, so if you buy land, make sure you are getting a clear chanote with the red colored eagle (or whatever that symbol is) at the top of the page; not a green one or a yellow one. The red ones are the only chanotes that are clear title with no claim by another person or entity. Also make sure the land has been subdivided and your chanote is for the piece you are buying only, not a part of a larger (unsubdivided) chanote that the developer holds in his or his company's name. Have a knowledgeable Thai person check the chanote with the land office to make sure it is correct and genuine. Any Thai person you trust can do this. It doesn't have to be a lawyer or a real estate agent.

I do not fully agree with you farang that the chanote titled lands are the only worth looking into, nor is the title itself a guarantee that there is no other hinder for the land in question. It is correct thought that the chanots are the only title documents that are fitted with the red garuda. However, equally good lands are those with the green garudas, i.e. Nor Sor Sam or Nor Sor Sam Ghor. The only difference between those titles and the chanote title is how the land has been surveyed.

Neither chanot, nor sor sam or nor sor sam ghor titled lands can be claimed by squatters or other occupants.

Anything too good to be true, always is....50,000 Baht for a plot of land when in that area normally at least a three or four hundred thousand Baht should set alarm bells ringing and leave it alone....Nong Tapot is becoming increasingly popular and there is a shortage of land for sale in that area.....almost as soon as a plot becomes available it is sold...just along the road I know of 2 plots under a rai that sold for 3 million Baht each.

Any Thai person you trust can do this. It doesn't have to be a lawyer or a real estate agent

Sometimes even Thai's are blinded by falsened Chanote papers like in Phuket and Samui happened.

The only way to be safe is to get a lawyer from Bkk check it and gives his/her approval in a written form.

I said any Thai you trust can go to the land office with you (not verify the chanote). The land office can and will tell you for sure the state of the land and they are probably the only ones who can (a Bangkok lawyer surely cannot). You do not need a lawyer to go find out if the chanote is genuine and unencumbered, just a translator. If you want to spend the money on a lawyer from Bangkok, that's up to you but you'll still have to go to the land office to find out the truth about the land.

has anyone been following the TV news about all the problems with land west of HH? Nong Phap is one example but there's a lot of problem areas west of HH and Cha-am.

much of that land is owned by the queen and is designated for farming only but a lot of developers have been moving into the area, getting upgrades via 'some mechanism', splitting and selling on for a profit.

its been on the TV news for several nights now. the government is reclaiming land and in some cases bulldozing houses. be very careful if you are thinking of buying over there. i got offered a great plot with nice views in Nong Tapot, near Cha-am for only 50,000/rai but the chanoht had a note on the back saying that it could not be sold on until November. this was a while ago and my wife said the deal sounded fishy so we didn't bother. looks like we made the right decision.

steve

How did the orignal owner expect to sell if there was a note on the back saying the land could not be sold until November...??? if the owner couldnt sell how could you have purchased anyway???...seems a bit strange...why not contact the owner 1st November and see if they want to sell for 50,000....very much doubt it.....which channel were the reports on??? where exactly in Nong Tapot,?? I drive through there on a daily basis and have not seen any houses being bulldozed, quite the opposite, construction everywhere...can you clarify exact locations, would be very useful???

• 2 weeks later...

I do not fully agree with you farang that the chanote titled lands are the only worth looking into, nor is the title itself a guarantee that there is no other hinder for the land in question. It is correct thought that the chanots are the only title documents that are fitted with the red garuda. However, equally good lands are those with the green garudas, i.e. Nor Sor Sam or Nor Sor Sam Ghor. The only difference between those titles and the chanote title is how the land has been surveyed.

Neither chanot, nor sor sam or nor sor sam ghor titled lands can be claimed by squatters or other occupants.

i'd check the facts on this as i have been advised that after the land is squated for 3 or 5 yrs it is very difficult to get the squaters off, this includes those pesky herders who have their animales grazing.

How did the orignal owner expect to sell if there was a note on the back saying the land could not be sold until November...??? if the owner couldnt sell how could you have purchased anyway???...seems a bit strange...why not contact the owner 1st November and see if they want to sell for 50,000....very much doubt it.....which channel were the reports on??? where exactly in Nong Tapot,?? I drive through there on a daily basis and have not seen any houses being bulldozed, quite the opposite, construction everywhere...can you clarify exact locations, would be very useful???

we'll that the point, he couldn't sell it, he wanted to be paid based on a promise that the transfer would happen in November. i didn't go for it anyhow so who cares.

i can't tell you where houses are been removed, all i know is what my wife told me about the TV report. also i said the TV report was about Nong Phap. Nong Tapot was my own story.

steve

Edited by stevehaigh

• 2 months later...

Nice looking chunk of land, yabaa. Bt 800,000 all in beats the heck out of Bt 3 mil / rai behind Hua Hin .. my humble opinion.

I first traveled through Pranbuti about 10 years abo and really like it .. especially Paknam Pran. I just couldn't find a place to rent that I could afford.

Made a drive through a few weeks back. Wow! The changes. Had a head snapping double take while driving along the beach. Something like, "Pool Villas from Bt 36 mil" *shudder*

Nice looking chunk of land, yabaa. Bt 800,000 all in beats the heck out of Bt 3 mil / rai behind Hua Hin .. my humble opinion.

I first traveled through Pranbuti about 10 years abo and really like it .. especially Paknam Pran. I just couldn't find a place to rent that I could afford.

Made a drive through a few weeks back. Wow! The changes. Had a head snapping double take while driving along the beach. Something like, "Pool Villas from Bt 36 mil" *shudder*

This piece took 18 months to find and a lot of patience we went to the land office yesterday and looked at surrounding plots but only ours had nor sor sam gor others either had none or nor sor gor. The worst part is finding the real owner which is almost impossible as they want to hide what they have form the govt so even the guy who turned up to sign the papers at the land office wasnt the real owner.

I have lost count of the deals that fell thru due to landowners either greed or stupidity or both. 10 rai opposite is still up for sale at 80000 a rai although now i have set a precedent "Farang come" etc etc price may well increase

The worst part is finding the real owner which is almost impossible as they want to hide what they have form the govt so even the guy who turned up to sign the papers at the land office wasnt the real owner.

But the guy who showed up had a proper power of attorney from the land owner and the name did corresponded to the name of the title right?

The worst part is finding the real owner which is almost impossible as they want to hide what they have form the govt so even the guy who turned up to sign the papers at the land office wasnt the real owner.

But the guy who showed up had a proper power of attorney from the land owner and the name did corresponded to the name of the title right?

Correct, stupid I aint, hahahahah the alledged owner ie Chanotes name didnt have a clue about the land and the office nearly told us they would not do it. Thankfully they did. We have met the "real" owner a govt official who wants it not known about his assets.