Pros And Cons Please

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

can we get back to thailand please

Ok made second batch of homemade toritillas today, came out better then the first ones, so there is hope the press I had made works great, now it's down to the right mix of ingredients and cooking time.

The Meza mix is throwing me a bit they don't brown as I'm used to seeing. I think I need to find some corn meal and then I might get the appearance I'm used to.

ray23...you got to make sure you got the right masa mix with limestone in it and you got to get the mix/water ratio just right.

One day at the market in Chichicastenango there were some guys squatting around a blanket with what looked like crumbled rock. I queried 'Y para que es este piedra'...to which they replied 'para las tortillas' along with something that sounded like 'dumb shit pinche gabacho...'

ray23...you got to make sure you got the right masa mix with limestone in it and you got to get the mix/water ratio just right.

One day at the market in Chichicastenango there were some guys squatting around a blanket with what looked like crumbled rock. I queried 'Y para que es este piedra'...to which they replied 'para las tortillas' along with something that sounded like 'dumb shit pinche gabacho...'

The Masa mix is from California don't know about the lime stone, but I did add lime to it, this time, the big test is tonight carne asada tacos. The taste seems darn close but the color is very different. I started this thread thinking of starting a mexican resturant, but if I can't get the tortillas right I have nothing to offer of qaulity

The Masa mix is from California don't know about the lime stone, but I did add lime to it, this time, the big test is tonight carne asada tacos. The taste seems darn close but the color is very different. I started this thread thinking of starting a mexican resturant, but if I can't get the tortillas right I have nothing to offer of qaulity

Quitter! :o

Not hardly just getting things right, the tacos were great, so I'm getting closer to the rigth flavor for the Tortilla, o ye of little faith laughter

Not hardly just getting things right, the tacos were great, so I'm getting closer to the rigth flavor for the Tortilla, o ye of little faith laughter

Pleased to hear that I'm wrong. Many of us will be very disappointed, Ray, if you don't get this project underway!

:D:D

It will happen when I'm sure I can do it right and make it worth the wait

Pleased to hear that I'm wrong. Many of us will be very disappointed, Ray, if you don't get this project underway!

:D:D

Can I volunteer as a food taster? I miss Mexican food so much that I'm even missing school cafeteria tacos!  :o

Tostados last night they were in fact pretty darn good. Maybe we should just skip the resturant and have a party. The problem I can see I can make the things I like very well, it's the things that I don't really care for that I would have a real problem with, never had the interest so I never learned.

Can I volunteer as a food taster? I miss Mexican food so much that I'm even missing school cafeteria tacos!  :D

Tostados last night they were in fact pretty darn good. Maybe we should just skip the resturant and have a party. The problem I can see I can make the things I like very well, it's the things that I don't really care for that I would have a real problem with, never had the interest so I never learned.

"Maybe we should just skip the resturant and have a party."

Party?

Good idea.

I'll volenteer my house as a location.

Ive got a big kitchen w/ two stoves you can cook on. And lots of room and parking.

:o

Can I volunteer as a food taster? I miss Mexican food so much that I'm even missing school cafeteria tacos!  :D

Party?

Good idea.

Ive got a big kitchen w/ two stoves you can cook on. And lots of room and parking.

Question is, would Ray come to Chiang Mai for the party? Can't have one without him; wouldn't have a theme! :D

Party?

Good idea.

Question is, would Ray come to Chiang Mai for the party? Can't have one without him; wouldn't have a theme! :D

Well I will go when things settle down a bit and I can get away. Sounds like great fun

Party?

Good idea.

Well I will go when things settle down a bit and I can get away. Sounds like great fun

I didnt realize Ray wasnt here. No problem. When you can come Ray, come on to CM. We will be here

Im sure we can find you a bunk too.

Perhaps those of us here in CM should do a "practice" party before Ray gets here, that way we can have all the "bugs" worked out before he comes. We can do take out Mex. from one of Harmonicas spots

Oh and Ray

Let me know when you are comming so I can be sure the Draw Bridge is down.

:D

Party?

Good idea.

I didnt realize Ray wasnt here. No problem. When you can come Ray, come on to CM. We will be here

Perhaps those of us here in CM should do a "practice" party before Ray gets here, that way we can have all the "bugs" worked out before he comes. We can do take out Mex. from one of Harmonicas spots

Oh and Ray

Actually the only way to get Ray to come to Chiang Mai is to import 2 senioritas from Sonora, Mexico and have them pick him up at the airport here in a limo & feed him some tortilla chips, salsa picante & musica latina, perhaps some Merengue, en route to your place, Maka. :o

Let's see if this appeals to him? I've got $100 on it! :D

Party?

Good idea.

Oh and Ray

Actually the only way to get Ray to come to Chiang Mai is to import 2 senioritas from Sonora, Mexico and have them pick him up at the airport here in a limo & feed him some tortilla chips, salsa picante & musica latina, perhaps some Merengue, en route to your place, Maka. :o

Let's see if this appeals to him? I've got $100 on it! :D

Oh I hope no one took that bet.

And a real good mexican beer would be needed. Not Corona. Something like Negro Modelo. Has a slight chocolate hint. Dark brown in colour. Perfect for spicy mexican food.

Love a decent Nachos or Tortilla. Use to work in the kitchen of a mexican as a cook. Miss the food.

And a real good mexican beer would be needed. Not Corona. Something like Negro Modelo. Has a slight chocolate hint. Dark brown in colour. Perfect for spicy mexican food.

Love a decent Nachos or Tortilla. Use to work in the kitchen of a mexican as a cook. Miss the food.

Its called Negra Modelo & it is one of the best in the world; Tecate is a distant 2nd; Corona is the worst and Dos Equis is reasonably OK. But Negra Modelo is the champ - a gorgeous dark color that adds beauty to the taste!

Its called Negra Modelo & it is one of the best in the world; Tecate is a distant 2nd; Corona is the worst and Dos Equis is reasonably OK. But Negra Modelo is the champ - a gorgeous dark color that adds beauty to the taste!

Sounds good to me, you two are in charge of beer, I'll cover the ice.

Yes MY BAD

N E G R A

Mmm Dos Equis is certainly alot better than Corona but which one. From memory there was 2. Arhh I think I can smell a new thread. :D

Carl

Yes MY BAD

N E G R A

Mmm Dos Equis is certainly alot better than Corona but which one. From memory there was 2. Arhh I think I can smell a new thread. :D

Carl

Here in LOS, after trying all that's available, I've settled into a comfortable trot with just 2 very satisfying beers -- Singha & Asahi (Japan); the nod goes to Asahi.

Yes MY BAD

N E G R A

Carl

Here in LOS, after trying all that's available, I've settled into a comfortable trot with just 2 very satisfying beers -- Singha & Asahi (Japan); the nod goes to Asahi.

I see this party drifing to a Jap Mex party.

Thats ok, I have some naturally brewed Kikkoman standing by, along with some wasabi.

And know where to get pretty good shushi here in CM.

If I can find a slab of Ahi, Bluefin, or Bigeye, I'll make a sashimi plate too.

Yes MY BAD

N E G R A

Carl

Asahi, yes thats nice if its really cold. A similar beer in taste and quality is San Miguel super dry. I also like Their Pale pils greaton a hot night. Haven't seen either here. Another good beer from the land of the rising sun is the Sapporo not the bottled one but the Silver Bullet Can.

Oops getting off topic. THink I'll start that beer thread today. :D

C

Yes MY BAD

N E G R A

Carl

Asahi, yes thats nice if its really cold. A similar beer in taste and quality is San Miguel super dry. I also like Their Pale pils greaton a hot night. Haven't seen either here. Another good beer from the land of the rising sun is the Sapporo not the bottled one but the Silver Bullet Can.

Oops getting off topic. THink I'll start that beer thread today. :D

C

Sapporo in the silver Bullet can! Heaven! -- should have mentioned that too, but didn't as I keep that for special treats. It is a magnificent beer. Agree with your assessment on San Miguel too.

Yeah, go ahead and start that beer thread; its only 5:00 PM, but I'm going to have me an Asahi right now.

Cheers amigo! :D

• 2 years later...
There is a tortilla factory in Bkk (wholesale corn tortillas run about 3 baht, wholesale, sold by the kilo) that makes corn and flour tortillas and also chips, which are equal or better than the American stuff, in my opinion...

Contact Dan Loveland

Tel: (662) 530-3713

His company makes Danitas corn chips and corn/flour tortillas

Anyone know the nutrition value (protein, fat & carbs) of the Corn and flour tortillas produced by Danitas?