Roads On Koh Phangan

Thongsala to Baan Khaay no problem, flat tarmac roads. Heading to Haad Rin roads are very steep with blind corners. Cautious driving ( low gears at all times )

One mistake on the roads west to east of Haad Rin and you might end up over the cliff.

Thongsala to as far as is possible to travel (depending on motorbike !) will get you to Haad Yao following the coast.

The road that runs through the center of Ko Phangan from say Thongsala to Chaloaklam in the north, is very good.

The road that leads from Ban Tai into Baan Thongnaag ( is only passable as far as twin coconut ) Real bad roads after that.

Forget the east coast after Haad Rin. Likewise anywhere north after Haad Kom going east.

Do you have any specific areas i might be able to clarify for you ?

Hallo SEAtramp

Thanks for the quick response.

We like to stay for about one week one the island.

"Problem" is , we can't sit still one the beach al day so we like to go around .

We don’t have special wishes , we just want to get to now the island and find some nice places.

How can we get to the places we can not reach one a motorbike ?

Do you now some nice places to visit on the island , we like to avoid the area of the full moon party’s , we like more to see some natural places like waterfalls , mountains ,deserted beaches , places were not to many people are .

If you have any suggestions about a place to stay , the one thing we like is a swimming pool and good food at low price :o .

Thanks

Harry, Adrienne.

Harry, you may want to visit Than Sadet - it has beautiful quiet beaches, the best waterfall on the island, and some other amazing surprises.

The road there is a tough one, but not impossible for a Honda Dream scooter. Slow & easy can get you there, even if it means that your pillion passenger may need to get off and walk up some of the tougher hills.

A more relaxed way there would be by taxi, or long boat from Haad Rin or Chaloklom.

Take care on the roads - it's the seemingly easier (faster) roads that kill people. :o

jose '-)

We don’t have special wishes , we just want to get to now the island and find some nice places.

So many places to choose from you are spoilt for choice. With just one week i would head north to Chaloklum. Book your first night at Chaloklum Bay Resort..200-400 baht a night double bungalows. Hire yourself a bike (150 baht a day..can be as little as 120baht for longer stays!) If you want a swimming pool these come at a premium. Resorts with pools = $$$

If you head for Paradise waterfall there is a bar/restaurant called The Chill Inn next to it. Its in the middle of a coconut plantation, owned by Chris an American guy. He has a pool at the rear you can use.

In Thongsala they sell excellent maps of the island. I reccomend you buy one, it list every G/house/ beach/ detailed roads etc.

Good advice seatramp. Just one point, YOU are responsible for any damage to the bike, there is no insurance for these bikes. If you are careful and stay away from the Hadrin road (seatramp is right, deathtrap for the unwary, inexperienced driver) you should be ok. Although Jose hasn't been to Than Sadet for awhile I think. The road there is dirt, and last I heard from a friend who lives in Thong Nai Pan, has deteriorated rather badly. As for the east side, well seatramp should have said, 'don't bother because there are no roads'. The entire coast from Than Sadet (ok there are a few tiny places with majorly bad roads) to Had Rin have no roads.

Depends on when you are coming? Chaloklum (like most the west and south side) is heading into the "low water" season, when the tide is low most the day. Haad Yao has quite a few places with pools, as does Ban Tai.

Have fun! And remember to DRIVE CAREFULLY, they don't call it the 'thailand tattoo' for nothing!

Hallo , i now that we are responsible for the bike so if the road gets to bumpy we just turn back.

When we look on the map on this website http://www.phangan.info/index.cfm?action=i...FTOKEN=59561656 i see many places there were we can not drive so my question is how do we reach this places an if you can reach them how much will it cost , maybe it can get pretty expensive ?

On that same website i read that on Chaloklum the most rainfall is ?

We comming and maybegin june.

Harry

Edited by Harryvb

Re Than Sadet. As Jose says.. not a chance of getting close to, let alone getting there on a 100cc motorbike.

I also never mentioned Haad Yao as the OP asked for quiet places. However its a great ride from Thongsala following the coast road to Haad Yao. Or from Chaloaklam, to Haad Yao following the road past the Chinese Temple, onwards to Wat Khao Noy taking the rd that leads you back on the coast north to Haad Yao.

Coral bay is worth remembering if you stay up north.

• 2 weeks later...
Hallo , i now that we are responsible for the bike so if the road gets to bumpy we just turn back.

As anyone have more answers about this ?

When we look on the map on this website http://www.phangan.info/index.cfm?action=i...FTOKEN=59561656 i see many places there were we can not drive so my question is how do we reach this places an if you can reach them how much will it cost , maybe it can get pretty expensive ?

On that same website i read that on Chaloklum the most rainfall is ?

We comming and maybegin june.

Harry