Big Chain Or Local Company?

longstebe

Having just moved here and waiting for my house to be finished I decided to take a look around Homemart.

After a while (being followed everywhere) it dawned on me why I wouldn't rather go to a local company

to look around and spend my money there. Thats what I ended up doing with the wifes help of course.

I understand that there would probably be more choice in the bigger companies but it all depends on what

your looking for.

That also got me thinking about fresh produce and meats. Why not the market?

Any advice or thoughts would be great for the newbie in town. :)

I've been almost a year in a small town in Issan. Small towns have their pros and cons, pretty much the same everywhere. I prefer to do my shopping locally. The locals know me now, and are happy to help me as much as they can (my pahsah Thai is fairly horrendous, dictionaries don't seem to help when there are 15 meanings to an English word lol). And I get the Thai discount, now that they've figured out I'm really staying. I'd say I find about 75% of what I need locally. If I don't, it's an hour and a half each way to the city; I've learned to make a list, nothing is so important that it can't be fixed temporarily with duct tape or WD-40 :D

As far as food goes, the nearest chain of big box food stores is that same three-hour round trip. But my wife is from here, and we have the advantage of several open-air markets. The food is less expensive, fresher, and, I think, more flavorful than the pre-packaged/sanitized stuff that comes from the big stores. Plus there's the social aspect to shopping in these markets. After a while, the vendors get to know you, and to know your preferences. Don't let the flies or the occasional ant bother you. Consider the junk that the commercial growers put on their products, the wax that's applied to make the food look more appealing to farangs, the hormones in the meat, and so on.

The one thing I won't buy from the open-air market is the pork. Call me paranoid, but what with swine flu and other problems associated with pork, we buy the frozen stuff from CP. Never had a problem, great quality, sanitary conditions, culled from local sources and checked for quality.

One last thing - the big food store in town is the 7-11 :)

I have been in Thailand nearly 5 years about 2 in Bagkok and full time in the village the remainder. I have discovered it is better to go where i can pick up what I need at the best price.

Sometimes it is the day or night market, sometimes Big C or Mikre or the local Thai super center. Some item are a better deal at a local Thai store, it just depends on what I need and/or want.

I enjoy a trip to Bagkok for shopping ( my wife more than me) and resturants. I discovered Korat shopping a while back and enjoy trip there.

your question must be answer with a question, what do u want to do with your time and if u enjoy shopping, i believe LOS has the worlds best shopping. after a while u will discover where u want to shop and my odea is to shop in stores I enjoy some small shops are bad other great.

I am lloking forward to the new shopping guide Thai Visa is talking about so I may add really great stores and Bad ones as well. :)

Many times the "farang pricing" on markets in Khon Kaen make me go to one of the big shops.

I don't like to, I prefer to buy local for the obvious reasons.

But if I am deceived, that is the end of it.

I do shop in various shops and market stalls where they know me, where I pay the going price.

But if I am deceived, I am gone.

For the more "big ticket" items, IE: A/C, Refrigerator, T.V.'s, any electrical appliance, etc. I have found in my ten years here, that I receive better "after the sale" service from the locally owned retailers. Especially, if there is any problem with the goods purchased.

For the fruit & produce, we go to the local Thai-style open markets.

For the rest of the stuff, we go to the larger chains or locally owned larger stores.

Maybe I will go the local market with the wife a few times untill I know the prices and they get to know my face.

As for the rest of my time in the day,I don't really know yet. Once I get settled in the house I can start thinking

about it.

Much the same as HansNL & MaxJay, local where possible.

Chaiyaphum has an electrical goods store where the daughters did uni in Melbourne, so there is some helpful English & the prices are good.

At the local markets I've never had a problem with 'farang pricing' - that said I'm sure if I was ripped off & one of the sisters found out, there would be trouble.

Most mom and pop stores get their stock from the big supermarkets anyway and just add their percentage on the price.

How many times I have seen huge trolley loads of goods going through the checkouts especially when they have a special offer on.

So I would always shop in the big stores, you also know it is going to be reasonably fresh and not sitting around a stall in the hot weather for days on end.

HL :)