Thailand Is Deadliest Holiday Destination For Britons

george

Odd that surveys put Britons bottom of the list in European holiday destinations, and top for behaviour and manners further afield. including Thailand.

:) I'm not quite sure what you mean but the survey/publication about "Britons continue to get into trouble abroad" was published by the official

FCO - Foreign & Commonwealth Office in the UK:

http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/newsroom/latest-n...amp;id=20749754

And, for Brits and others who are interested to read the:

Consular Annual Report 2008/09

Foreward by Chris Bryant MP, Minister for Consular Services

The FCO’s consular service helps British Nationals in some of the most complex and often fragile of situations abroad.

Over the last financial year, the consular service provided assistance to almost 35,000 British nationals abroad, and dealt with close to 2.1 million assistance enquiries. They issued almost 11,000 emergency passports to people whose passport had been lost or stolen, responded to nearly 7,000 cases where Brits had been detained, and provided assistance on just under 200 new parental child abduction cases. The consular service’s Rapid Deployment Teams were deployed 11 times to assist our nationals caught up in global crises, from the earthquake in China to the terrorist attacks in Mumbai.

The consular service is funded by a fee levied on every passport. For around £1.50 a year, every British passport holder has at their disposal a global network of professionals who often provide the first line of support when things go wrong. More information about the services available can be found at fco.gov.uk/travel. The consular service is funded by the public and is rightly accountable to the public. This Annual Report, which includes an assessment of performance against measureable service targets, is an important part of that accountability. Whether they are successful is ultimately for you to judge. The consular service seeks constant feedback and is looking to improve its mechanisms for doing so. You can send your views to:

feedback.consular.services@ (email address removed for possible spam reasons; LP)

Chris Bryant MP

Parliamentary Under Secretary of State

http://www.fco.gov.uk/resources/en/pdf/con...al-report-08-09 24 pages !

LaoPo

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate statistics but probably half the contributors to this organ are half-witted at least most of the time.

I remember some weeks ago looking at a thread about some chap who'd been arrested for trying to exchange 400 Sterling that he claimed to have got from his bank and was arrested for carrying counterfeit notes even though the receiving bank itself was unsure that they were fake and had sent them to Bangkok for further analysis. By the time we'd got to post 5 he'd got them from an ATM which is apparently impossible and had cashed 5,000 in total. By the time we'd got to post 10 in a few internet seconds we may as well have hanged him. Chinese whispers? or people without the ability to read, digest and understand....

This post, which is essentially about where Brits are most likely to die, be injured or be arrested, has been turned into open season on Brits abroad by some of the afore-mentioned half-wits. If anyone thinks that their own nationals are free from any guilt in the foreigner on holiday arena think twice because they're not. I spend 60% of my time travelling and I've seen a lot from most nationalities in most locations.

The thing with Thailand that we all love is the lack of regulation. Find a bar serving beer in coffee mugs on an election day and we're all as happy as Larry.

The thing with Thailand that we all hate is the lack of regulation. People driving down the road the wrong way, corruption etc.

Most of us who've been here for some time come to a compromise and change their value chain.

Those who have not been here for very long are presented with an equation that takes time for their minds to compute. Visiting from the heavily regulated countries in the West to the grossly unregulated Thailand takes a lot of acclimatisation. How many of us have seen the "kid in a sweet shop" syndrome with westerners arriving in Bangkok? Some learn fast and some don't. Certainly in the UK you need a licence to drive a motorbike and that means taking a stringent test. In my opinion people who drive a motorbike from a relatively young age learn the balance better than those who start later in life. Arriving in Phuket or wherever, it may look cool to drive a bike in shorts, tee-shirt and flip-flops. My guess is that something approaching 100% of people in the west who ride a bike, certainly those who have been saved from scrapes by leathers and helmet, would view the shorts and tee-shirt brigade as idiots of the highest order. The second factor is that a large proportion of these motorcycle users have almost never ridden one or haven't ridden in a long time. Add alcohol or drugs for some idiots and the chaotic roads and you aren't just asking for trouble, you're begging for it. Next time you're in a bar with girls in, look at the scars on their limbs and ask them where they came from - invariably it's the good old motor cycle.

Drunks looking for trouble? It's probably the case that the Brits have more than their fair share of them but it's far from being an exclusive club. On holiday, the weather's hot, the booze is cheap, the girls want to play - what's the problem? To some people drink is the trigger to getting out of control but there's normally something else too. Buy a girl a few drinks then another customer comes in and knows her and she's all over him. In the west that may be one thing but here it's time to move on to the next girl or bar. Maybe they should publish a set of bat etiquette and hand it out on all incoming flights. Fighting over a bar girl is like fighting over the last peanut in the bowl.

Thailand is deadliest holiday destination for Britons

British tourists are more likely to be killed in Thailand than any other destination, according to new figures released today.

Motorbike accidents are the main reason why 269 Britons died there last year, according to the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO).

The figures mean that Thailand has the highest rate of deaths in proportion to the number of British tourists of any country worldwide. In the year to March, an estimated 860,000 British tourists visited Thailand.

This figure also makes Thailand the country where, proportionately, British tourists are most likely to end up in hospital, according to the organisation's British Behaviour Abroad report, released today.

The majority of 324 reported hospitalisations in Thailand were due to motorbike accidents, says the FCO, and a high proportion are fatal.

The figures for the report are based on incidents reported to British consulates abroad, so actual numbers could be higher.

On the dangers of visiting Thailand, the organisation says: "Many of the hospitalisations in Thailand are the result of motorbike accidents – particularly in the southern islands.

"Thailand has one of the world's highest road traffic accident rates, almost all of which involve motorbikes."

The Thai law that states safety helmets must be worn is widely ignored according to the FCO, which contributes to the high number of deaths each year. On average 38 people a day die in motorcycle accidents in Thailand.

The organisation also warns: "You should never hand over your passport as a guarantee against returning a motor scooter or cycle. Unscrupulous owners have been known to hold on to passports against claimed damage to the motor scooter or cycle."

Further to that, some vehicles are not road worthy. The FCO says that many of the motorcycles and scooters that are available for hire in beach resorts are unregistered and cannot legally be driven on a public road. This could invalidate any travel insurance policy should the driver wish to make a claim.

On the subject of travel insurance, the report found that financial pressures are causing many British holidaymakers to forgo travel insurance in a bid to save money.

Foreign Office Minister, Chris Bryant, said: "Getting comprehensive travel insurance means that whilst an accident may disrupt your holiday, it won't bankrupt you in extortionate medical or repatriation bills."

Other trouble hotspots revealed by the report include Spain, where 2,032 Britons were arrested last year. This is higher than any other country, although as a proportion of visitor numbers, the highest number of arrests was in the UAE followed by Thailand.

The majority of arrests are drug-related, with one in seven relating to illegal substances. This is particularly so in Thailand – were a quarter of arrests were due to drugs. The UAE also has a low tolerance of drugs – according to the FCO, many Britons arrested in the UAE are transit passengers, who fall foul of the country's strict drug laws, which prohibit some prescription drugs that are legal in the UK.

Among the notable cases is that of Tracy Wilkinson, 45, from West Sussex, who was arrested at Dubai airport in 2005 for possession of codeine, which she had been taking for chronic back pain.

Arrests are also due to "bad behaviour". The UAE has a low tolerance of anti-Islamic behaviour and behaviour that is regarded as disrespectful towards UAE officials.

The FCO advises Britons heading to unfamiliar countries to familiarise themselves with local laws and customs before heading abroad.

-- timesonline.co.uk 2009-08-26

800,000+ british tourist each year... thats amazing!

Thats like 1 in 50 people in the UK go to Thailand every year!!

err....

800,00 div by 60 million = 1.3 percent, yes? 2 percent or 1 in 50 would be 1.2 million.......

missing the point, maybe, anyway.

rgdz

Brewsta

err....

800,00 div by 60 million = 1.3 percent, yes? 2 percent or 1 in 50 would be 1.2 million.......

missing the point, maybe, anyway.

rgdz

Brewsta

we've lost most of those who were (briefly) interested in this perrennial Talking Shop about 'bikes and booze.... same time next year no doubt - see ya then.

brewsta

Quote"Let's call it freedom. If it's not a good place to go to, why don't you go to Ibiza? No cheap girls? Time for you to wake up". End Quote

Freedom? 12,000 traffic road deaths a year , many Drink related. You call it freedom.. hmmm , says it all about your ideals? Fed up with too expensive Ibiza? so lets go to Thailand where "freedom" allows me to behave like the a s s h o le I was in the Uk

More, they have around 18.000 road deaths per year, and an unknown number of unreported cases, due to private settlements.

......The figures mean that Thailand has the highest rate of deaths in proportion to the number of British tourists of any country worldwide. In the year to March, an estimated 860,000 British tourists visited Thailand.........

So what is that as a percentage of total Farang tourists in LOS..anyone know? Interesting to know figures for the rest of the " does not play well with others" groups..

Stupidity and boorishness is not solely the domain of the "ugly POME" sad to say.

Though I think it all started in Majorca in the 60s or was it Captain Cook a bit before that...

I am an American Guy, I have lived in Thailand 5 years, Brittan 6 months, Spain a month and France a month, the British behavior while on holiday is outrageous. I fully understand the Spanish Government arresting them repeatedly, if not in bulk and deporting them, Drunk and fighting every night in the pubs, France too. There were bars in France where I couldn't get a drink until I showed my passport to prove I was not British. Thailand is a little further, we can hope only the somewhat more responsible Britts get that far from home, that they might not still be somewhat special, I have no doubt. Behave yourselves! English speakers around the world suffer the consequences of what U do on Holiday! :)

I pretty sure you can't deport EU citizens from an EU country.

|Sure you can, if you break the host's law.16_2_108.gif

Amazing how much anger there is out there towards brits. I guess it must make weak minded people feel more secure and confident (maybe they've got small willies or something) bashing people of another nationality in a vain attempt to prop up their flagging ego and libido. Ah well us Brits are very self deprecating anyway so we don't take it to heart - just have another beer and SMILE

I am British and will condemn foul mouthed , dangerous , yobbish Brits in Thailand , So should you

Why should I?? Must I share your opinion and perspective?? I am no saint and at times i've had a few too many and let it all hang out. Am i foul mouthed, dangerous and yobbish - no.

And the truth be told where in the OP does it say that the poor sods that died here on motorbikes are foul-mouthed and dangerous. Obviously people some people have a set stereotype fixed in there head for the word 'Brit' and cannot deviate from that fixed idea and are taking this opportunity to vent their views on the unsuspecting world - Just chill.

I haven't read all eleven pages of posts but the ones I have read not one person has mentioned that fact that this is a tragic loss of life, that effects far more people than those unfortunate enough to lose their lives. May all of those that died RIP.

Anyway i'm off for another f*****g beer, then i'm gonna smash the missus in the mouth

On holiday, the weather's hot, the booze is cheap, the girls want to play - what's the problem? To some people drink is the trigger to getting out of control but there's normally something else too. Buy a girl a few drinks then another customer comes in and knows her and she's all over him. In the west that may be one thing but here it's time to move on to the next girl or bar. Maybe they should publish a set of bat etiquette and hand it out on all incoming flights. Fighting over a bar girl is like fighting over the last peanut in the bowl.

Couldn't agree more - people are people and as you said the weather's hot and the beer is cheap and the girls wanna play.

If it was cold, expensive and full or Russian 'shot putters' It would all be so different

On holiday, the weather's hot, the booze is cheap, the girls want to play - what's the problem? To some people drink is the trigger to getting out of control but there's normally something else too. Buy a girl a few drinks then another customer comes in and knows her and she's all over him. In the west that may be one thing but here it's time to move on to the next girl or bar. Maybe they should publish a set of bat etiquette and hand it out on all incoming flights. Fighting over a bar girl is like fighting over the last peanut in the bowl.

Couldn't agree more - people are people and as you said the weather's hot and the beer is cheap and the girls wanna play.

If it was cold, expensive and full or Russian 'shot putters' It would all be so different

Ha ha - I've been in Russia in the cold with some pretty women and reasonably priced vodka and not felt a stir. Felt altogether warmer to the libido in Stockholm, Helsinki and Stavanger - but managed not to whack anyone whilst chanting any football mantras.

Yep, avoid the English (unless you need some back-up in a fight of course); as for the Scotish, Welsh & Irish?

Don't you start on the Welsh or I'm going to become decidedly English and want to kick your teeth in

Yep, avoid the English (unless you need some back-up in a fight of course); as for the Scotish, Welsh & Irish?

Don't you start on the Welsh or I'm going to become decidedly English and want to kick your teeth in

Ah, the true Brits. The Welsh that is. :)

Your response "Yep, avoid the English (unless you need some back-up in a fight of course);" unwittingly proves my point. 'Out of their own mouths ......'

It is not about dangerous behavior, like riding m/cycles when drunk or fighting, with or without backup. It is about ensuring your right to the pursuit of happiness . Therefore, avoid situations, which, on balance, may end negatively - like having to deal with some knuckle dragging hoon

Thais wear surgical masks to prevent Swine flu! I actually saw two Thai guys racing down the main street in my town on a Honda Wave wearing surgical masks and no helmets. Still, when I come home there, I feel safe but the numbers speak for themselves. It's more dangerous than Iraq!

So true! :):D:D

Ah, the true Brits. The Welsh that is. :)

Now I may be wrong, and I am certainly happy to be corrected, but the Welsh are generally appreciative of other cultures (apart from those over the bridge) and as an oppressed nation, tend to follow the rules. Of course we did discover and colonise the US well before Columbus.

I resisted the first urge, but couldn't resist seeing it again. "Whooee the hel_l are we to tell people HOW TO TYPE, oops!" Then I glanced at the Profile picture and saw the New Camry. I see.. saying to myself, ...complex.

Cheer mate!

THANKS FOR THE WARNING

I'VE CHANGED MY TRAVEL PLANS FOR NEXT MONTH

AFGHANISTAN HERE I COME

On your keyboard, to the left of the A key is Caps Lock key, turn that off. Learn to type normally.

Stop being so PEDANTIC, what's the difference if he types CAPITALS OR small case, we are NOT on here for a school lesson from YOU or anyone else, stick to the subject or maybe you enjoy upsetting people.

Not so much "small case/upper case", more a case of "nut case", until recently I thought I was illiterate but descovered I was just illigitamate.10_1_24.gif

Bloody hel_l. 394 readers...90% I suspect to defend the English right to behave as one deems appropriate in one's host country.

Well, the fact is that I believe anybody can ride a motorbike in Thailand if you ride slowly and defensively.

Ride like a <deleted> at a speed where you have zero reaction time and you will be dead....or very lucky

I'm not interested in any nationalistic attack or defence that has polluted this thread. And I will neither defend my fellow Brits or attack them . We all have seen idiot tourists at times and I do not care what the nationality of the driver rider is is he puts me or my family in danger.

FACT: the ONLY accident I have had in Thailand win 3½ years was last year as a day before the Songkran holiday period started when a child (with parents in attendance) fully hidden from view (small soi no path) chucked a bucket of water at my m/bike with my wife and stepson on it at point blank range. I instinctively braked as my view through my visor disappeared and skidded over on the wet road and loose gravel. Thank god we were all wearing helmets coz my head hammered against the road.

I am glad you think knowing what happens here can protect one from ALL the crazy actions some get up to.

Could you avoid a m/bike 100% cutting a corner when turning right at a traffic lighted cross road, entering the road on the LEFT side on a blind (due to building to the corner) cross roads. No? Well neither could the car approaching the cross roads slowing as th lights were red and suddenly a motorbike is coming at him on his side of the road.

The report suggested 39 m/bike riders die each day on the roads in Thailand. I assume most of the14,235 who die were Thais (not tourists).

So what are you saying? Most Thais killed in M/bike accidents "Ride like a <deleted> at a speed where you have zero reaction time"

Well I think most of us who live here know that for all the poor driving habits we witness, most Thais do not drive fast on M/bike but still they die in their thousands. Could it be the lack of adherence to the Thai Highway code (and sadly a belief their heads are as tough as helmets so why use them)

Unfortunately defensive driving is not fool proof although of course, it makes a huge difference. I am sure all of us defensive drivers have been in "it was pure luck we were not hit by some idiot". Many who live here think defensive driving (if that means slower and cautious) actually confuses the Thais as they are not used to cautious defensive driving or correct road positioning.

I believe one person suggested the Police are not to blame. Sorry this is not true. In ANY country if traffic police do not enforce or bother with the traffic laws (or are sometimes seen break them themselves then it is obvious the population (locals and tourists) will be slack as well (regretfully human nature). If you think you have a great chance of not being pulled up and tested many will drink drive (including Thais). I am in no way defending the drunks but some need good policing to control their dangerous disregard to others (even if it is out of fear of prosecution/jail time)

JMHO :)

While the exchange rate is good it will always attract the poms to thailand , there numbers will always be high .

When I first came here 15 year's ago it was 95Bt now it's 55Bt: Just what would be a bad exchange rate then?36_11_23.gif

Personally only troublemakers I have seen over the course of many years happened to be Scandi lads, or Russians. :)

However the article is more about motorbike deaths, not to do with bad behaviour.

True, but just the mention British & off go the bashes!36_19_5.gif

My two-penn'orth. We run a motorcycle touring company in the North of Thailand, most of our guests are Brits. A few differences of course with the clowns renting a scooter, getting p*ssed and expecting the locals to ride/drive the same way they do at home of course!

I lead, anything untoward and we slow, ready to negotiate the obstacle. Nobody ever rides after consuming alcohol, we have service vehicles for the evening's entertainment. 99% of our guests are polite and courteous to all, they simply follow our lead. There have only been two occasions in the four years we've been running I've been forced to take somebody aside and have a little word in their shell-like about their behaviour.

100% RTA free tours in over 100,000km on my bike and very proud of it we are! Plus another 150,000km in the pickup, call it good luck I've not had an accident? I doubt it. Don't get me wrong, there have been a few near misses! There's no such thing as an 'accident' anyway, takes both parties doing something stupid to cause a collision. Don't tell me you couldn't avoid the car who pulled out/braked in front of you, simply means you were also travelling too fast for the conditions. I put the Thais high death-toll to simple slow reactions, not been at it for very long and either freeze at the critical moment or 'target fixate', looking directly at what they're trying to miss. If given plenty of time to accommodate another's manouvre they are in fact pretty considerate drivers. The complainants' mistake is the Thais also automatically expect a little consideration in return while you're trying to bully your way through western style. Not their fault, yours.

To all those who moan about the Thai driving style I can only say you've obviously never taken any kind of Advanced Driving/Riding course, and your observational skills are obviously not up to scratch, it is in fact very easy to read the road ahead and what will be the next manouvre they're going to pull. They drift as they're checking their mirrors before changing lane, that moped on the hard strip looking nervous is guaranteed to pull across all three lanes, the car approaching the junction/U-turn WILL pull out in front of you, it's easy! At home you think "Is he?", here you just have to think "He is", it's not rocket science, chill out, slow down the moment there's another vehicle on the road. Learn to read them, they all sing from the same sheet after all?

I'll quite happily run around at 180kmh and above, but it's up to us to remember they're not used to judging high speed. See a single headlight in the distance, they automatically assume scooter travelling at 50kmh not Hyabusa travelling at 250 who's going to be all over them like a rash before they've looked in their mirror and back to the road, it's up to us to compensate for them, not vice versa as they've no benchmark to start from. I'll only pull breakneck speeds on a clear road where I know there are no junctions for a set distance.

I've an ex-police driver mate here, been driving around for over four years, and averages 3 'accidents' per year; reason? He's still thinking in terms of 'Right of Way', simply can't get out of the habit! Admittedly in my first year here I used to get aggravated by the driving standards too, but it really is a piece of cake to adapt, without resorting to those same standards yourself, lol!!

Those clowns at the resorts suddenly get what the Brits call 'Spanish driving mentality' where the rules of the road are just so far away from anything in their experience they automatically assume there aren't any, and going as fast as humanly possible must be the safest :D:) (through the inebriated haze) course of action?! And of course it was always the other party's fault when they DO come off. However, I don't believe sloping shoulders & finger-pointing "lawsuit attitude" restricted just to the Brits? Proved in this very thread by all those so concerned with it all being the Thais' poor driving standards in fact! If you're so flaming superior why are you unable to adjust?? Watch, learn, improve upon and implement :D rather than whining :D you sad, sad cases!!

Having said all that, I'm still forced to hang my head in shame on many an occasion when a crowd of my 'countrymen' spill out from a bar, belligerenly hassling all and sundry on the street, believing they can carry the "I'm too much of a pussy to behave reasonably" mentality that works so well at home. Believe the Thais class it as part of 'Face'? LOL Yup, Brits on the piss, nowt worse. Main reason why I work in the tourist areas but don't live there, 7hrs drive away is as close as I'm comfortable with, we might get some overspill.

Those scooters should simply be avoided when spotted with a reflective, only arrived today non-tan aboard! How many of you have seen somebody jump aboard, only to wobble off up the street, only JUST making it around the next bend, completely out of control? Don't start on about legislation & licensing, it's not going to happen, not the Thai way, much as you'd like it to be. Repeated cries of 'They MUST....soon, if....', doesn't wash here, so stop banging your head against the wall, hurts less, you ain't gonna change squat here no matter how much you bleat. What's the problem with enjoying the positives while working around the negatives as effortlessly as possible? Of course it's your right to come on here and have a moan (now that IS a British national pastime, lol!) as is so often put forward, but are you actually achieving diddly-squat? Do you honestly feel better after slandering your adopted country? I doubt it, just adds to the pile of dissapointments already amassed because you failed to do your homework before calling it your home.

Nuff said, I'm sick of the whining on this forum, shame because once upon a time this was a real friendly place where folk helped each other out! Shame too because the news alerts are really quite good, it's just the drivel that follows them. I'm off to TD. Like a bunch of moaning old biddies you are, blaming somebody else for the chance you should have spotted & taken, or mistakenly thinking this was the land of milk & honey where life was going to be so much easier. I've some startling news for you, IT IS if you'd only stop moaning about inconsequential matters! The Op was Brits are a bunch of idiots on holiday (among others), the more freedom they're given, the more they screw up. We all know that, freely admit it ourselves! Simple, and this warrants 10pages of Thai bashing and HSE talk when obviously we're at fault? You've lost the plot, the lot of you.

Can't handle a country that actually expects you to look after yourselves, go home and let your Nanny state wet-nurse you, diddums. Mods don't bother banning me, I'm off in disgust.

Edited by Milo

As a farang ( British) living here for many yuears, I can do nothing but agree, that all nationalities including the yanks behave badly, I have absolutly no sympathy with the relatives of those whose by their stupid senseless behaviour brings on their demise.

The trouble is that they tend to blame others and not themselves, due to the LAX ways in which you can change your name in the Uk a deported person can return with a new name and passport.

personally those who misbehave should have their passports confiscated for a period, no matter which country they come from then farangs may be more tolerated here.

As always the minority spoil it for the majority.

It's unfortunate that we farang tend to get 'tarred with the same brush' based on the activities of a mindless few. These few fall into 2 categories. The sex tourists (we don't see them in Rayong) and the short-term all-expenses-paid contract workers (we've got lots of them) flashing their big wallets and thinking they can buy any Thai girl.

An earlier post failed to mention Koreans working here, they are despised by Thais who 'tar' them like we tend to think of Americans... brash, loud mouthed and disrespectful. The Chinese are regarded as miserly as are Russian and East European types who are also branded loud and disrespectful.

I'm a Brit and here hopefully for the long-haul. I have made many friends with Thais here in the past 4 years and they have a BIG respect for me and the mostly good mannered English people.

Brash, Loud mouthed and disrespectful Americans? The Chinese miserly? The rest of the world, according to your analysis, below your station. Get a life Englishman. The sunset has long set on the British Empire. How about a little respect for the majority of Farangs that live here from other countries that never have problems. After 14 years here, I myself have many friends and the British are among them. Note that I said British not English as pointed out in an earlier post. If you don't believe that a large portion of the younger generation of Englishmen are disrespectful of others, than take a trip to Phuket and watch them on Soi Bangla. It is truly a sight to behold!

It's unfortunate that we farang tend to get 'tarred with the same brush' based on the activities of a mindless few. These few fall into 2 categories. The sex tourists (we don't see them in Rayong) and the short-term all-expenses-paid contract workers (we've got lots of them) flashing their big wallets and thinking they can buy any Thai girl.

An earlier post failed to mention Koreans working here, they are despised by Thais who 'tar' them like we tend to think of Americans... brash, loud mouthed and disrespectful. The Chinese are regarded as miserly as are Russian and East European types who are also branded loud and disrespectful.

I'm a Brit and here hopefully for the long-haul. I have made many friends with Thais here in the past 4 years and they have a BIG respect for me and the mostly good mannered English people.

Brash, Loud mouthed and disrespectful Americans? The Chinese miserly? The rest of the world, according to your analysis, below your station. Get a life Englishman. The sunset has long set on the British Empire. How about a little respect for the majority of Farangs that live here from other countries that never have problems. After 14 years here, I myself have many friends and the British are among them. Note that I said British not English as pointed out in an earlier post. If you don't believe that a large portion of the younger generation of Englishmen are disrespectful of others, than take a trip to Phuket and watch them on Soi Bangla. It is truly a sight to behold!

You missed the point mate.

You missed the point mate.

And i agree!!