Stray Dogs

petercallen

We have been feeding a stray dog in the evening for about a month now, when she first came to us she looked like she had been in a concentration camp, now she is fattening up but is very timed and infested with fleas. In Australian supermarkets you can buy cards with small tubes of flea repellent on them which you put on the skin on the back of the neck and it gets rid of the fleas for a month. Does anyone know if it is available here and where you can purchase it.

We have been feeding a stray dog in the evening for about a month now, when she first came to us she looked like she had been in a nazi concentration camp, now she is fattening up but is very timed and infested with fleas. In Australian supermarkets you can buy cards with small tubes of flea repellent on them which you put on the skin on the back of the neck and it gets rid of the fleas for a month. Does anyone know if it is available here and where you can purchase it.

You can go to P.A.W.S in Chalong, it will have it for cheaper, half the cost than most vets in town.

If you're willing to travel with the dog to the vet you can also get a tick and flea shot. The combo of the Frontline (topical meds) with the injection should rid the pup of fleas in no time.

Also look out out for mange. If the pup has had fleas for quite some time this can lead to mange and then it'd need a dermatrix treatment, (depending on the severity) also available for low cost at PAWS.

Good luck!

You can go to P.A.W.S in Chalong, it will have it for cheaper, half the cost than most vets in town.

If you're willing to travel with the dog to the vet you can also get a tick and flea shot. The combo of the Frontline (topical meds) with the injection should rid the pup of fleas in no time.

Also look out out for mange. If the pup has had fleas for quite some time this can lead to mange and then it'd need a dermatrix treatment, (depending on the severity) also available for low cost at PAWS.

Good luck!

The dog is a adult female with a half grown pup, both are very timid and frightened of people, my wife can now pat them but i cannot, that's why i believe the neck treatment will work she can apply it, thanks for the information.

We have been feeding a stray dog in the evening for about a month now, when she first came to us she looked like she had been in a concentration camp, now she is fattening up but is very timed and infested with fleas. In Australian supermarkets you can buy cards with small tubes of flea repellent on them which you put on the skin on the back of the neck and it gets rid of the fleas for a month. Does anyone know if it is available here and where you can purchase it.

What you describe is "FRONTLINE", you can get if from every vet here in Phuket...and it works very well.

Gerd

To the poster: Tell your wife to be careful of exposure to fleas herself if she is touching and petting these dogs.

One of my neighbors has a REALLY bad secondary infection from the two flea-bags that hang out in front of her mini-mart (one left behind by former residents or our neighborhood, the other from who-knows-where).

She didn't even realize they were the cause. I suspected it immediately when I saw the location of the bites, and it coincides with pix I scouted on the internet. She can hardly walk now.

I think a lot of people are getting this during rainy season. I could feel them biting me when I stood on the wet, smelly welcome mat there.

I don't think you need to even touch the dogs as the fleas can jump well over a foot...

globalguppy.

re mange.

what we in the west call mange .... most thai vets call it scabies!

thats my experience anyway :)

dave2

That's interesting because I've volunteered for 3 dog foundations from here to Koh Phangan, and all the Thai vets referred to the mange as mange.

I'm not one to disagree that your experience was different, I just thought it interesting is all =)...

Potato potaatoh I suppose.

petercallen !

Please, if you do start to care for a street dog. do not forget:

You may feel to be such a good person, feeding this dog but in fact, it may mean, you help things be worth just by doing it.

This is what many Thai people do ! Give them some food but do not care for the rest.

Giving them food means, there is a bigger chance that this one will survive. that means, it will be a bigger chance, that this dog will have more babies and so on ...

Will you help all these offspring ? Offcourse not, because just feeding them will mean, there will be about some thousands of them in the future (maybe in 10 years, its kind of very fast growing rate).So , you will not feed all these offspring, so it means, if you just feed these two, there will have to die even more in the future.

(if they will not just starve, someone else will kill them. And has to kill them, because even for Thai people, it is not acceptable to have hundred dogs just in your street. ) So if you want to help this dog, you have to do it right , and if you do not do it right, you better do nothing. Yes, that means, to see him in that miserable state everyday, and to see him die one day.

Helping, will mean, to care for everything. That means taking care of a dog ! You must adopt him ! And to take care of the offspring would mean, (if you can not accept that they will just die in the street)to do steps to limit the offsprings !

If you are not willing of doing this, please do the dogs the favour of not interfere in their life (and our life). There are already too many (each one is too much!) streetdogs everywhere. And by just feeding them, you will worsen the problem. There are only streetdogs, because (!!) someone is feeding them ! Sorry, but helping other creatures is not that easy. And it seems , what you are doing is not helping, it means making things worth !

So: If you really want to take care of the dog, please adopt him (let him into your house and /or your ground) and make some kind of offspring limitation). If you do not want to do this, please do nothing !

petercallen !

You may feel to be such a good person, feeding this dog but in fact, it may mean, you help things be worth just by doing it.

This is what many Thai people do ! Give them some food but do not care for the rest.

Giving them food means, there is a bigger chance that this one will survive. that means, it will be a bigger chance, that this dog will have more babies and so on ...

Will you help all these offspring ? Offcourse not, because just feeding them will mean, there will be about some thousands of them in the future (maybe in 10 years, its kind of very fast growing rate).So , you will not feed all these offspring, so it means, if you just feed these two, there will have to die even more in the future.

(if they will not just starve, someone else will kill them. And has to kill them, because even for Thai people, it is not acceptable to have hundred dogs just in your street. ) So if you want to help this dog, you have to do it right , and if you do not do it right, you better do nothing. Yes, that means, to see him in that miserable state everyday, and to see him die one day.

Helping, will mean, to care for everything. That means taking care of a dog ! You must adopt him ! And to take care of the offspring would mean, (if you can not accept that they will just die in the street)to do steps to limit the offsprings !

If you are not willing of doing this, please do the dogs the favour of not interfere in their life (and our life). There are already too many (each one is too much!) streetdogs everywhere. And by just feeding them, you will worsen the problem. There are only streetdogs, because (!!) someone is feeding them ! Sorry, but helping other creatures is not that easy. And it seems , what you are doing is not helping, it means making things worth !

So: If you really want to take care of the dog, please adopt him (let him into your house and /or your ground) and make some kind of offspring limitation). If you do not want to do this, please do nothing !

For your information we found out the dogs belong to a hardware store next door and only come in the evening and on Sundays when the shop is closed and then go back again, i would feed you if you were starving

One of your stray dogs just bit my three year old daughter as she was riding her bike in our Soi, if I had my way you would all be giving the dog mouth to mouth NOT a treatment fleas !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It was not one of these dogs that bit your child, they are not stray dogs running in a pack i always drive those dogs away. these dogs have a home but the owners do not look after them properly and by feeding them i have stopped them tearing rubbish bags apart in the evenings.

petercallen !

A good post, well written, sense at last Thank You.

petercallen !

A good post, well written, sense at last Thank You.

Re: There are only streetdogs, because (!!) someone is feeding them ! Sorry, but helping other creatures is not that easy.

I tend to agree with you overall, but I find that if I DON'T just give them the leftovers, they dig them out of the trash can and mess up the whole street...and these are trash buckets hanging from hooks more than a meter off the ground...

Re: There are only streetdogs, because (!!) someone is feeding them ! Sorry, but helping other creatures is not that easy.

I tend to agree with you overall, but I find that if I DON'T just give them the leftovers, they dig them out of the trash can and mess up the whole street...and these are trash buckets hanging from hooks more than a meter off the ground...

Get a catapult they learn quickly :)