Restoring My Willy's Jeep

DLock

I really enjoy reading stories about people restoring old cars, so I thought other might appreciate my story.

It's worth noting that I am mechanically incompetent. As in completely useless with absolutely no experience. What I am good at is visualizing what I want and then figuring out how to get there. This Jeep was a great example of that. My wife thought was completely nuts, my staff just laughed and even I started doubting what I was doing at some points along the way. A Jeep is a good "starter restoration kit", with no interior, door or roof and plenty of parts available in the US.

But in the end, this little Jeep turned out better than I had planned....not that I did much of the work myself, but for turning a little, clapped out, for the crusher Jeep, into a really cool car...I'm pretty proud of what WE did, and I mean WE, as in myself and the Thai guys that did most of the work.

If you want to read a bit more of the back story and see the journey, view the Blog at Jeep Blog

The pictures on this post are what it looks like now, the next post are what it looked like the day I bought it.

Enjoy.

post-21832-1251345542_thumb.jpg

post-21832-1251345602_thumb.jpg

post-21832-1251345688_thumb.jpg

post-21832-1251345764_thumb.jpg

Most people aren't going to be that impressed with a restored Jeep as it is an easy restore for anyone with a modicum of mechanically ability...which really is not me.

But here are some shots on the day I bought it. In hindsight, I'm actually surprised I bought it in looking at these pictures.

But if anyone was ever thinking about restoring a car in Thailand...this should give you some hope. It's possible.

post-21832-1251346050_thumb.jpg

post-21832-1251346100_thumb.jpg

post-21832-1251346145_thumb.jpg

I really enjoy reading stories about people restoring old cars, so I thought other might appreciate my story.

It's worth noting that I am mechanically incompetent. As in completely useless with absolutely no experience. What I am good at is visualizing what I want and then figuring out how to get there. This Jeep was a great example of that. My wife thought was completely nuts, my staff just laughed and even I started doubting what I was doing at some points along the way. A Jeep is a good "starter restoration kit", with no interior, door or roof and plenty of parts available in the US.

But in the end, this little Jeep turned out better than I had planned....not that I did much of the work myself, but for turning a little, clapped out, for the crusher Jeep, into a really cool car...I'm pretty proud of what WE did, and I mean WE, as in myself and the Thai guys that did most of the work.

If you want to read a bit more of the back story and see the journey, view the Blog at

The pictures on this post are what it looks like now, the next post are what it looked like the day I bought it.

Enjoy.

Looks very nice. Your crew did a good job.

Did you replace the engine? If so, what did you use?

If you want to read a bit more of the back story and see the journey, view the Blog at

Enjoy.

Looks very nice. Your crew did a good job.

Did you replace the engine? If so, what did you use?

Peoria, yes I had to change the engine and gearbox.

The old engine was a clapped out Toyota motor and the gearbox was a sloppy 3 speed 4WD. It may have been original, but it was really like stirring porridge. I really would have liked an original Jeep motor and gearbox, but that was not to be.

To make the car legal with the new engine, you need the correct documentation to amend the blue book, which the car came with, but not with the engine numbers correct or the engine doc. The engine came from a Japanese importer in Bangkok with correct papers. It was a 2litre Toyota engine with fuel injection. It was a bit of a squeeze and the battery needed to be re sighted, but it fitted and looks ok.

I still wanted 4WD, so we mated it with a Daihatsu short 4WD, 5 speed box. The adapter plate was sourced by my engine guy.

It is a very sporty little motor with a nice little raspy note. Fires up first time, and has not dripped one drop of oil.

post-21832-1251370442_thumb.jpg

That's a nice job. It looks great. It looks like a fun little run around. Some time back I wanted to do a similar project but insisted on a diesel engine and four wheel drive. I could not find the right combination that everything would match up and work together.

very nice, i love it.... but for the love of christ please have some one build a 4 point roll cage for it, i know its not spec but if you plan on driving it much it will save your life heres my old rig, its a 52 m38... but the cage saved my a## more than a few times, but i drove it alot on the weekends..just some food for thought

post-54524-1251516293_thumb.jpg

post-54524-1251516529_thumb.jpg

post-54524-1251516543_thumb.jpg

post-54524-1251516554_thumb.jpg

Edited by tb86

very nice, i love it.... but for the love of christ please have some one build a 4 point roll cage for it, i know its not spec but if you plan on driving it much it will save your life heres my old rig, its a 52 m38... but the cage saved my a## more than a few times, but i drove it alot on the weekends..just some food for thought

TB,

That is one sweet @ssed rock crawler.

I hear you. While I doubt I'll be doing much dirt work, I do plan on a rollcage and some bigger wheels to give it some stability.

Tb86, I luv it! :D

I got a XJ for the street and am on the lookout for a Wrangler to modify for playtime. :D

Jeeps rock! Literally! :)

sorry to jack your thread dlock..... forget the wrangler try a lil something like this

post-54524-1251652710_thumb.jpg

post-54524-1251652721_thumb.jpg

post-54524-1251652735_thumb.jpg