Off Road Riding Thailand

mixed

Are there many people in here doing enduro/off road riding? There seems to be a lot happening in the North. What about other regions? Are there many clubs? What type of bikes are people on and how strict are the authorities about bikes being registered if riding on dirt roads?

Yeah interesting, i am just about to buy a PX175 platinum enduro 50,000thb with all on roads. Are others riding this?

Don´t do it! It´s a horror bike! Many electric problems, the very amazing remote does not work often and the engine runs not softly. Some had a broken frame and and.... A second hand XR250 is a better choice. Many in CNX.

Yeah interesting, i am just about to buy a PX175 platinum enduro 50,000thb with all on roads. Are others riding this?

Don´t do it! It´s a horror bike! Many electric problems, the very amazing remote does not work often and the engine runs not softly. Some had a broken frame and and.... A second hand XR250 is a better choice. Many in CNX.

Yes agreed. Frustrated PX175 owner here. Or I should say i would be if I had paid more than 20k for it. It's a 1 year old bike, 4000kms with no book. I ride it a little hard and basically it won't stay working for more that a day after getting it repaired. I have spent about 10 k baht. Just had the entire electrical system gutted and replaced, including a modified alternator. Water seems to get into the gas when it rains, or possibly I got bad gas in it. I would never pay 50k for one, but if it's absolutely your only option, it is better than nothing. I have had an absulute blast on mine. Since the Phuket dealer shut after the original owner bought it, it is stuck in legal limbo between the closed shop owner and Platinimum Corporate. It will likely never get a book. The "permentent" red plate with the invoice is probably enough to get me through any police checkpoints. My mate also bought one and he has had to do the same thing to the electrical system. Luckily they never broke down on the trail. They have electric start, but we usually end up having to kick start them.

Anyway, it seems to be working for the moment, so anyone in Phuket wants to go riding let me know. I am still learning the trails. I had maps and descriptions of nice routes from a member here, but I lost them somehow.

The only other place I rode was outside Pai. A couple of small operators there. I had a great time. Lots more trails and infinitely better than Phuket IMHO.

SB

Edited by Scubabuddha

or the H1n1...

Where you stay Mixed??

Near Bkk,we have a friend who build a huge dirt cross track near Kanchanaburi,i'm riding off road but good for practice on his track ,landscape very nice all around ,forest ,paths rivers...really good rides between KAN and BURMA.

See more details about our friend in central forum //motocross kanjanaburi

some another good places around Bkk too...

Cheers

Yes agreed. Frustrated PX175 owner here. Or I should say i would be if I had paid more than 20k for it. It's a 1 year old bike, 4000kms with no book. I ride it a little hard and basically it won't stay working for more that a day after getting it repaired. I have spent about 10 k baht. Just had the entire electrical system gutted and replaced, including a modified alternator. Water seems to get into the gas when it rains, or possibly I got bad gas in it. I would never pay 50k for one, but if it's absolutely your only option, it is better than nothing. I have had an absulute blast on mine. Since the Phuket dealer shut after the original owner bought it, it is stuck in legal limbo between the closed shop owner and Platinimum Corporate. It will likely never get a book. The "permentent" red plate with the invoice is probably enough to get me through any police checkpoints. My mate also bought one and he has had to do the same thing to the electrical system. Luckily they never broke down on the trail. They have electric start, but we usually end up having to kick start them.

Anyway, it seems to be working for the moment, so anyone in Phuket wants to go riding let me know. I am still learning the trails. I had maps and descriptions of nice routes from a member here, but I lost them somehow.

The only other place I rode was outside Pai. A couple of small operators there. I had a great time. Lots more trails and infinitely better than Phuket IMHO.

SB

Thanks for your feedback, I accept that they are crap. However at 50k new with warranty and service They sound like pretty good throw away material. We will see how it goes. It would seem that major repair costs are not that high either. Probably another 2 months till i can justify flushing 50k down the pooper.

HangDong rider, excuse my ignorance but what is CNX?

Cheers.

SB

Thanks for your feedback, I accept that they are crap. However at 50k new with warranty and service They sound like pretty good throw away material. We will see how it goes. It would seem that major repair costs are not that high either. Probably another 2 months till i can justify flushing 50k down the pooper.

HangDong rider, excuse my ignorance but what is CNX?

Cheers.

There is a honda xr250 with book on gt rider for 65000 baht, a MUCH better buy

Seconding HangDongRider. I had a XR 650, great reliable bike. Tiger, the Thai brand, has an offroad 135 cc, I think. How extreme would you go? For hard core stuff, you might need a CF 450 or WR 450 or a 2-stroke CR 500 with barbaric power.