'crack Down' On Dangerous Dental Craze

churchill

Up to 57,000 websites offer trendy orthodontic services and one-day courses in orthodontic techniques to anyone interested in starting a business which can reportedly yield profits of up to Bt20,000 a day.

However, the Dental Council has called on the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to ban the sale of denฌtal supplies to anyone but dentists from next week.

The FDA said Thursday that it would ask the Medical Supply Committee to list fashionable tooth braces as a medical item so that they become controlled products.

The move follows headlines about a Khon Kaen student who died from a mouth infection after undergoing an orthodontic operation performed by an amateur because it was fashionable.

The Nation

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 27/08/09

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/30110...us-dental-craze

Hello, so will the wannabe dentists go to get their wire from the Home Pro now that they can not get the real wire? The Thai government needs to watch what happens so the unsanitary methods will not happen, and maybe they should outlaw any dental procedure outside of a real dentist office. People need to use more sense about what they do to their bodies, but young people do not always have the guidance in their life so they do not know how to think.

It's not that the dentistry equipment needs to be controlled, it is that people needs to learn to become informed consumers.

But sadly that has a rub-off effect on learning to question authority, traditions and laws...and that might be 'dangerous'.

About one month ago , I went to a local dentist here in Chiang Rai . Normally I would go the hospital dental department but on this occassion I went to someone different. I was told the dentist spoke very good English and the reason for me going to him.

My problem was an abscess under one of my teeth and I needed a second opinion and some anti-biotics to fix the problem.

On visiting the dentist and told him of my problem , he advised that the tooth needed to come out. I said that at the moment I have an infection under the tooth and its not advisable to extract until the infection had cleared up. The dentist however was adamant that it was ok to extract the tooth and to do it now.

I however stood my ground and refused , only as I know if your infection spreads to the blood system you can get septicaemia (blood poisoning ) and you can DIE from this .

I was given 7 days worth of antibiotics to take and returned to the dentist for him to check the tooth again. He said the tooth was possibly rotten at the root and advised to take out again. I agreed as the tooth had given me problems before and I allowed him to take out.

I was given several injections around the gum area of the tooth and after the numbness set in he proceeded to remove the dodgy tooth.

He applied his extraction tool firmly and wrenched at my tooth , while I grabbed his hand and screamed out in pain. He said ok ok , I will put more pain killer into the gum. Then after the second doseage of numbing pain killer he started to pull again , this time in a very fast action where I didnt have the time to grab and stop him. The tooth was pulled from my mouth under the most severe pain , I have never experienced such pain EVER. Once the tooth was out the Dentist said , you have an infection under the tooth at the root !! . He then got me to swill my mouth with his antisceptic mouth wash , then put a ball of gause into the hole where the tooth was.

He said for me to leave the gause in the hole for a minimum of 2 hours and to swallow the saliva in my mouth .

I paid the 120 bht fee for the extraction and went directly to the local hospital . They confirmed the infection and gave me more anti-biotics to take for 1 week and if I feel unwell to return to the hospital as soon as possible .

Dentists here can be very good but as we know there are cowboys all over the world who just might not have the skills and training to be a dentist and like so many things here - many are possibly fake.

Take Care , it could cost you your life .

About one month ago , I went to a local dentist here in Chiang Rai . Normally I would go the hospital dental department but on this occassion I went to someone different. I was told the dentist spoke very good English and the reason for me going to him.

My problem was an abscess under one of my teeth and I needed a second opinion and some anti-biotics to fix the problem.

On visiting the dentist and told him of my problem , he advised that the tooth needed to come out. I said that at the moment I have an infection under the tooth and its not advisable to extract until the infection had cleared up. The dentist however was adamant that it was ok to extract the tooth and to do it now.

I however stood my ground and refused , only as I know if your infection spreads to the blood system you can get septicaemia (blood poisoning ) and you can DIE from this .

I was given 7 days worth of antibiotics to take and returned to the dentist for him to check the tooth again. He said the tooth was possibly rotten at the root and advised to take out again. I agreed as the tooth had given me problems before and I allowed him to take out.

I was given several injections around the gum area of the tooth and after the numbness set in he proceeded to remove the dodgy tooth.

He applied his extraction tool firmly and wrenched at my tooth , while I grabbed his hand and screamed out in pain. He said ok ok , I will put more pain killer into the gum. Then after the second doseage of numbing pain killer he started to pull again , this time in a very fast action where I didnt have the time to grab and stop him. The tooth was pulled from my mouth under the most severe pain , I have never experienced such pain EVER. Once the tooth was out the Dentist said , you have an infection under the tooth at the root !! . He then got me to swill my mouth with his antisceptic mouth wash , then put a ball of gause into the hole where the tooth was.

He said for me to leave the gause in the hole for a minimum of 2 hours and to swallow the saliva in my mouth .

I paid the 120 bht fee for the extraction and went directly to the local hospital . They confirmed the infection and gave me more anti-biotics to take for 1 week and if I feel unwell to return to the hospital as soon as possible .

Dentists here can be very good but as we know there are cowboys all over the world who just might not have the skills and training to be a dentist and like so many things here - many are possibly fake.

Why did you go back to this moron....Bri

Up to 57,000 websites offer trendy orthodontic services and one-day courses in orthodontic techniques to anyone interested in starting a business which can reportedly yield profits of up to Bt20,000 a day.

However, the Dental Council has called on the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to ban the sale of denฌtal supplies to anyone but dentists from next week.

The FDA said Thursday that it would ask the Medical Supply Committee to list fashionable tooth braces as a medical item so that they become controlled products.

The move follows headlines about a Khon Kaen student who died from a mouth infection after undergoing an orthodontic operation performed by an amateur because it was fashionable.

The Nation

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 27/08/09

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/30110...us-dental-craze

A Crackup is better :)

My problem was an abscess under one of my teeth and I needed a second opinion and some anti-biotics to fix the problem.....................

Was the abscess actually in your jaw or in the gum? I've been smacked in the jaw (accident) playing footy in the army. Caused an infection, with the forming of an abscess. The military dental lanced the lump in my gum, worked my gum to drain the muck out and let it heal by itself with the assistance of antibiotics. The lancing wound healed within a couple of days and any soreness was gone in about a week. In my case no tooth removal was needed, but the tooth did get root canaled with no more problems.

Edited by Garry

you had someone remove a tooth from you mouth for the sum of $3.50 US ?!?

you are either demented or a crack addict.

...Hmmmm...reminds me that last year October while I was in Phnom Penh, Cambodia they opened a pretty flashy "European Dental Center".

Advertised all over town "Tooth extraction including anesthesia for $1":-)

I had a look since one of my wisdom tooth was in dire need of extraction and everything appeared swell,

but at the end of the day I decided to wait with extraction until I was back in Canada... didn't want to get into a situation where I might have to RELY on medical services in Cambodia.

Off the record: Does crack numb tooth pain ? ;-)

...Hmmmm...reminds me that last year October while I was in Phnom Penh, Cambodia they opened a pretty flashy "European Dental Center".

I had a look since one of my wisdom tooth was in dire need of extraction and everything appeared swell,

but at the end of the day I decided to wait with extraction until I was back in Canada... didn't want to get into a situation where I might have to RELY on medical services in Cambodia.

Crazy isn't it? A peanut wouldn't believe a tooth could be extracted for the princely sum of .....a dollar!

Good on you for waiting...I am sure half your jaw would now be hanging out somewhere in PP if you went ahead.

Myabe I'm lucky. I have a dentist in Phuket who seems on the ball and knows what he is doing. American trained and fluent English., Superb dental premises.

Nice thing about him was that I asked him for an implant...45-50,000 baht....for him to tell me he can reinsert the fallen out crown and make a new stump/key for it. It worked and the copst? 10,000 baht. He was down 40k but did the job as he saw it and it worked.

As stated here....you more often than not get what you pay for.

Myabe I'm lucky. I have a dentist in Phuket who seems on the ball and knows what he is doing. American trained and fluent English., Superb dental premises.

Nice thing about him was that I asked him for an implant...45-50,000 baht....for him to tell me he can reinsert the fallen out crown and make a new stump/key for it. It worked and the copst? 10,000 baht. He was down 40k but did the job as he saw it and it worked.

As stated here....you more often than not get what you pay for.

I used to visit a particular dentist at Bumrungrad when I lived in Bangkok and although he wasn't cheap, he was honest. If I had a check up and didn't need anything, he would say so. I probably saved money (and pain!) in the long-term. And when I did need treatment, I was confident I actually did need it.

There is actually a good Kymer dental clinic in Phnom Penh with no flashy sign hanging outside , with very reasonable rates , not flashy inside either but very efficient . I had the only pain free extractions of my life in Thailand performed by a Chinese dentist in Rangsit also at a reasonable cost , freezing had never been effective prior to that . It is far cheeper to have dental treatment in Thailand than in Canada where the dentists are about the most expensive in the world , including the air-fare .

You mean girls here wear those braces because they think its cool? :D:)

Not because they are functional? Why? Oh silly me, TIT of course!

Yes, they are ugly, but if necessary, and done correctly, they are a good thing. However tattoos have become an epedemic here, much more ugly, and permanent damage to their appearance, at least braces can be removed.

I see people spending more time choosing a new T-shirt than investigating the Dentist they are Visiting.

A few simple questions, like years of experience, schools attended, and a look around the office to look for professionalism , may save that tooth.

Ask your friends ( not the cheap drunk on the stool next to you in the Bar ) if they have had good experience with any of the Local Dentists.

You get what you pay for, even in Thailand , KEE NEE OW : Translation : SH*T HERE OUCH ( Beware )

I personally have 2 Dentists, one was trained in Chicago and the other Brazil.. They are both excellent, and only a short drive to Chiang Mai.

NOTE:

1 -Antibiotics , generally take 10 days to work , so the 7 day prescription never works.. ( Get 10 + days )

2 - Novocaine does not work well on infected areas , due to a Variation in PH Levels that lessen the effects.

My wife prefers her Cheap locally trained Dentist , and was in pain for 2 Years before I convinced her to see my Dentist.

A friend had braces for 2 years , and visited my Dentist as well for a consult.. The Corrective Braces were not tensioned at all properly , and the Protective Pads were so cheap , that they left HUGE Indents on the Face of Her teeth, which wore into the Enamel so far that Ceramic faces are now needed to correct the situation the "Dentist" created, and the teeth hav not been corrected One Iota..

Horror stories a Plenty , But the main problem is the Consumer being plainly ST*PID..

Smiles :)