Iphone 3gs Pre-orders Delayed

nikster

booked mine on the web last week. Called to true today, confirmed still can pick up tomorrow. Maybe lucky or Chiang Mai ( logistics ) related ?

Honestly, this is what pisses me off, and your information just confirms that. they just don't ship them to the provinces, no matter when you booked. I booked over 2 weeks ago. Maybe they are trying to save the shipping costs, freaking geniuses... I mean, any sensible company would do first come first serve. But no one's ever called True a sensible company.

letter to steve jobs is on its way.

Best course of action by far. TRUE won't listen to its customers, especially if they are farang, Thai business never does, in their thinking it's a privilege for us customers to be able to do business with them.

But they will listen to Apple sure as shit. Yes indeed. Many Thais seem to feel the kick in the pocket much more than the one in the goolies.

I pre-ordered in Chiang Mai and was told to pick up AUG 28th, today they called me to tell me that that wasn't going to happen.

The lady calling was apologetic but pretty unclear as to what had happened, Thai style.

This explains it short and rough: http://www.truemove.com/iphone/eng/index.htm

There aren't enough handsets to go around, and rather than try for a first-come first-serve tactic, True decided to only give it to the first 3500 people in Bangkok. And HiSo, presumably. In any case, this sucks, and the notice came way too late. I had actually planned to call them but nobody picked up the phone in Chiang Mai True Airport Plaza 2 days ago.

I imagine if you are in BKK, you can get yours, especially if you show up early and full of farang fury. Other places won't even have the phone, so tough luck.

And I was looking forward to hearing you comments on it , bugger :)

TL

LOL & sorry u got disapointed.

Yep, managed to pic it up. Went through the normal process, booked on line, paid deposit - and then picked it up at Central Bangna where there was a steady flow. Not sure the root cause, and whether its right to shoot the messenger, i believe the bottle neck was belatedly annouced from Apple?

I bought a Xbox from HK which had no warranty - and sure anough, 11 months later it died. As such i am skittish about buying gadgets i cant bring back if they fail. I personally would choose to wait, unless you have $ to burn

Edited by skippybangkok

Did you get the promised free case worth 1,200 baht, as promised by True to those who did not receive their phones in the first batch?

I got the free case - it is True branded. It looks like something out of the 60 Baht shop. In a way, it's an insult more than an apology. If you bought this on the streets of Chiang Mai for 150 baht, it would be a bit of a rip-off. I had actually already forgotten about this... :)

Compared to the 1G, I now have:

- 3G in those countries where it works, not worth much in Thailand

- Real GPS, which is great. Found my house, and Google maps even has a map of the road leading to my house which is amazing. 3G has that already

- Better camera with autofocus.

- Video camera. Not sure I'll use this but the editing is pretty amazing, like you would expect on the iPhone. You can crop movies with a very nice touch interface. Video looks great.

- The compass!

- Compass function on google maps. It shows you which way you are looking, and rotates the map.

- It's fast - no delays for anything, anywhere. I didn't think the old one was all that slow, but the new one feels a bit smoother.

And you goit for free bad battery performance. The camera is still not great.

Better equipped phones you can get at half price. But they might not be so trendy. Som na na....

Cheers

Did you get the promised free case worth 1,200 baht, as promised by True to those who did not receive their phones in the first batch?

I got the free case - it is True branded. It looks like something out of the 60 Baht shop. In a way, it's an insult more than an apology. If you bought this on the streets of Chiang Mai for 150 baht, it would be a bit of a rip-off. I had actually already forgotten about this... :D

To be honest, my friend has a very similar one that he bought at the TrueShop in Paragon for 100-200 baht. I don't remember the exact price because it was so cheap. In fact, all other cases are 600-1500 baht except for this one... The only difference is that his is yellow on the inside instead of red. Needless to say, shortly before announcing the free case, all the ones my friend bought disappeared off the shelves :)

Reminds me of how Central and Paragon offer really good sales like 2000 baht off everything in the store only to find out they've moved half the merchandise to the back room. Or how they have the same elaborate sale at the end of the month. My girlfriend bought a pair of shoes on the last day only to find out that they have it out for "deep discount sale" every month for almost a year now.

I got the free case - it is True branded. It looks like something out of the 60 Baht shop. In a way, it's an insult more than an apology. If you bought this on the streets of Chiang Mai for 150 baht, it would be a bit of a rip-off. I had actually already forgotten about this... :D

To be honest, my friend has a very similar one that he bought at the TrueShop in Paragon for 100-200 baht. I don't remember the exact price because it was so cheap. In fact, all other cases are 600-1500 baht except for this one... The only difference is that his is yellow on the inside instead of red. Needless to say, shortly before announcing the free case, all the ones my friend bought disappeared off the shelves :)

Reminds me of how Central and Paragon offer really good sales like 2000 baht off everything in the store only to find out they've moved half the merchandise to the back room. Or how they have the same elaborate sale at the end of the month. My girlfriend bought a pair of shoes on the last day only to find out that they have it out for "deep discount sale" every month for almost a year now.

I have one as well. It's real leather, and not bad leather at that after you use it and it gets some wear and stress and softens up, but black on the inside with yellowish stitching. It's a slip case, very thin with a leather tab that slips across the top. Cost was 150 baht. Actually, money aside, it was exactly what I had been looking for, and couldn't find anything like it even in the 1000 baht range. One other feature that seems obvious but most cases don't have them: holes at the bottom so that you can hear your ringtone when the phone's in the case. Apart from this one, I haven't seen anything at all in leather for less than 1000 baht. In the end, I lost it somewhere and went back over to Paragon on Saturday to buy a new one. I didn't see any on the shelves, but as I looked up to the top of the shelves, there they were...hidden. Fortunately I was tall enough to reach them,m grabbed two of them (so I can lose another one) and paid 150 baht each for them. So there's your secret tip if you want one and they are apparently not on sale any more....look up on top of the shelves where the cases are on display and grab one.

Edited by bubba

I have one as well. It's real leather, and not bad leather at that after you use it and it gets some wear and stress and softens up, but black on the inside with yellowish stitching. It's a slip case, very thin with a leather tab that slips across the top. Cost was 150 baht. Actually, money aside, it was exactly what I had been looking for, and couldn't find anything like it even in the 1000 baht range. One other feature that seems obvious but most cases don't have them: holes at the bottom so that you can hear your ringtone when the phone's in the case. Apart from this one, I haven't seen anything at all in leather for less than 1000 baht. In the end, I lost it somewhere and went back over to Paragon on Saturday to buy a new one. I didn't see any on the shelves, but as I looked up to the top of the shelves, there they were...hidden. Fortunately I was tall enough to reach them,m grabbed two of them (so I can lose another one) and paid 150 baht each for them. So there's your secret tip if you want one and they are apparently not on sale any more....look up on top of the shelves where the cases are on display and grab one.

Thanks that makes me feel much better about my 100 baht free case. And yes it is a slip-on leather thingy with holes at the bottom. Very simple.

About Central - there is always something on sale at 30% or more, which is why I don't go there anymore. Because what that means in return is that pretty much everything they have for their "standard" price is at least 50% overpriced. That's how they can still make profits when they then "discount" using their standard rip-off prices as base. Well OK admittedly some stuff they just don't have anywhere else so Central it is...

To be honest, my friend has a very similar one that he bought at the TrueShop in Paragon for 100-200 baht.

Maybe it was a misunderstanding from true and they actually wanted to say 1-200 baht worth. :)

To be honest, my friend has a very similar one that he bought at the TrueShop in Paragon for 100-200 baht.

Maybe it was a misunderstanding from true and they actually wanted to say 1-200 baht worth. :)

LOL - best explanation so far!!