Iphone 3gs Pre-orders Delayed

nikster

I pre-ordered in Chiang Mai and was told to pick up AUG 28th, today they called me to tell me that that wasn't going to happen.

The lady calling was apologetic but pretty unclear as to what had happened, Thai style.

This explains it short and rough: http://www.truemove.com/iphone/eng/index.htm

There aren't enough handsets to go around, and rather than try for a first-come first-serve tactic, True decided to only give it to the first 3500 people in Bangkok. And HiSo, presumably. In any case, this sucks, and the notice came way too late. I had actually planned to call them but nobody picked up the phone in Chiang Mai True Airport Plaza 2 days ago.

I imagine if you are in BKK, you can get yours, especially if you show up early and full of farang fury. Other places won't even have the phone, so tough luck.

I pre-ordered in Chiang Mai and was told to pick up AUG 28th, today they called me to tell me that that wasn't going to happen.

The lady calling was apologetic but pretty unclear as to what had happened, Thai style.

There aren't enough handsets to go around, and rather than try for a first-come first-serve tactic, True decided to only give it to the first 3500 people in Bangkok. And HiSo, presumably. In any case, this sucks, and the notice came way too late. I had actually planned to call them but nobody picked up the phone in Chiang Mai True Airport Plaza 2 days ago.

I imagine if you are in BKK, you can get yours, especially if you show up early and full of farang fury. Other places won't even have the phone, so tough luck.

booked mine on the web last week. Called to true today, confirmed still can pick up tomorrow. Maybe lucky or Chiang Mai ( logistics ) related ?

And I was looking forward to hearing you comments on it , bugger :)

TL

booked mine on the web last week. Called to true today, confirmed still can pick up tomorrow. Maybe lucky or Chiang Mai ( logistics ) related ?

Honestly, this is what pisses me off, and your information just confirms that. they just don't ship them to the provinces, no matter when you booked. I booked over 2 weeks ago. Maybe they are trying to save the shipping costs, freaking geniuses... I mean, any sensible company would do first come first serve. But no one's ever called True a sensible company.

letter to steve jobs is on its way.

Edited by nikster

Yesterday someone from true move called me but she couldn't speak english, so she actually hung up on me out of frustration. But I figured something was up...

So I went to pick up my iphone 3gs today in Central Chiang Mai, 11am sharp when they opened. Sure enough, no iphones at all, despite all the signage in the shop... Scores of other customers soon appeared - all turned away. Further they explained they couldn't even say when any will come in, apart from "should be next month". Another customer pointed out the Apple Mac shop next door sells the grey imported iphones cheaper than True. My experience with that shop has always been very bad - the salespeople are always very smug and condescending, if they even pay attention to you at all. So never mind.

I asked for my deposit refunded from True (which they way will take 1 month to complete, but is that really a surprise?), then I walked across the mall and bought an HTC Android phone, which had been tempting me for some time.

I preregistered for the iphone 3gs literally the moment their website was up, so I figured even in the worst case I'd be first in the queue if there was a shortage. I never figured they'd pull such an asinine move as only distribute to Bangkok first. Screw Apple and and screw True. My Android phone is pretty cool, has all the same functions I wanted from the iphone, and much cheaper.

I asked for my deposit refunded from True (which they way will take 1 month to complete, but is that really a surprise?), then I walked across the mall and bought an HTC Android phone, which had been tempting me for some time.

can i ask what you paid for your Android and wat outlet you purchased from?

I went to pick mine up at Urban Park in Bangkok. I must have been lucky as I wondered if I should tick the first day (today was in fact a bit inconvenient for me) or pick it up on 29th or 30th. I decided to pick 28th as I would have time to get to know it over the weekend.

Staff was very friendly there and not a very long queue (maybe 200 people there). Took about one hour (mostly filling out forms). I think the next rush will be after office hours.

From what I have heard Apple simply has not delivered enough phones to Thailand. The phone is great. Been getting to know it over lunch. It will take a few hours (up till 24 hours) to be set up if you want a new number but about 4 hours later I can call. I just need to double check my settings for the unlimited wifi as that does not work yet. 3G was pretty well here too.

I also bought a Griffin cover. Easy, stylish and has a lens protector/enhanced on the back. Now I have to learn how I can get all of my contacts (1000+) from my dinoasaur nokia to the iphone. Any ideas?

Now I have to learn how I can get all of my contacts (1000+) from my dinoasaur nokia to the iphone. Any ideas?

Hi

You can try my.funambol.com or google funambol .

I don't know if it will work for your Nokia, but it did work to transfer my contacts from Outlook to my iphone. It is free, so you can give it a try... Anyway it is good to back up your contacts once you will have managed to put them in your 3Gs.

Good luck.

Phil

can i ask what you paid for your Android and wat outlet you purchased from?

Paid 19,900 Baht for the htc MAGIC, at the HTC shop literally on the opposite side from True move, 10 second walk Could maybe get it for a couple thousand baht less in another country, but again, the main reason I waited for the iphone 3gs in thailand was to get the warranty. I'm really liking this Android phone. I could see the iphone being better in some respects, but all in all, it's enough for me.

Hi

I would go and buy a HK model, on sale everywhere now, i will never buy anything from True again, the only reason i have a true number is that everybody know that number.

Do you know much the HK models are selling for now? I think the THB 40,000+ they were asking a few weeks ago is just too much of a premium. If it's around 30K for a 32GB then I'd consider it.

This explains it short and rough:

<link removed>

IMHO, that link is the biggest bunch of bull! Local Thais knew about this problem for a day or two on the forums before the newspapers picked up on it. Afterwards, TrueMove is forced to post it on their website. The fact that midlevel employees knew about this problem in mid July doesn't help either. They call this a "simultaneous worldwide launch" ???

June 19 -- the US, Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Spain, Switzerland and the UK)

June 26 -- Austria, Australia, Belgium, Ireland, Japan and the Netherlands)

July -- 34 other countries spread throughout the month

August - 32 other countries spread throughout the month

It does seem like a lot of countries but a large number of those in July and August are fairly small markets. Thus for Thailand, there will be a roughly 3 month lag behind the US on a product that is refreshed almost annually :)

I'm 100% sure they knew in advance that they had more than 3500 reservations (the alleged amount of Day 1) and that there were not enough to go around. They should have closed / limited reservations instead of continued to take everyone's money.

10,000 people * 2140 baht (7% tax) = 21,400,000 baht

They could have been proactive and managed the situation better, but chose not to. They decided to react once people started complaining. This is the fundamental problem of the True Corporation.

The worst part is that all the bigshots were at Siam Paragon and posed for the cameras. I was one of the first three in line. I did not hear them say a single word of apology for those who did not receive their iPhones.

Hi

I would go and buy a HK model, on sale everywhere now, i will never buy anything from True again, the only reason i have a true number is that everybody know that number.

Good luck mate, but you wont find any unless you wait 1/2 months.

Hi

Around 33.000 now, will see next time i am in town

I'll buy a HK model once they drop to 26K or less for 16GB. Otherwise, I am waiting for It's Not True... I have a 1G iPhone to tide me over.. :)

True has proven to me in this episode that they're a joke of a company. Getting limited quantities of the phone is not their fault of course (and they are happy to tell you this at every opportunity). But how they react to such a problem is entirely up to them, and I think they mismanaged it in the worst way possible.

I had considered getting a True number before but no chance of that happening now. DTAC and AIS are actually both pretty good.

Was scheduled to pick one up tomorrow in CM. Got the call today. Was my GF's birthday. True is utter sh&t if you ask me. Secure the product AND THEN take deposits and schedule pick up times. Totally amateur.

And they don't give them to the first people who signed up? Instead they give them to everyone in BKK? Will NEVER do any business with True again.

A friend went to MBK today looking for a 16GB 3GS.... He said no one is stocking the HK version (factory unlocked) since the Thai one was so close in price... "better to wait until True has them back in stock".. They do have the USA (software unlocked version) which I don't recommend.

Was scheduled to pick one up tomorrow in CM. Got the call today. Was my GF's birthday. True is utter sh&t if you ask me. Secure the product AND THEN take deposits and schedule pick up times. Totally amateur.

So True called me on Aug. 27th.

And they call you the day before even though they knew all along they couldn't deliver to you? That is amazing. Then again, nothing surprises me anymore when it comes to True.... this is clearly a massive failure at the management level.

Limited supply isn't their fault of course, I already mentioned that.

But they should have

- Stopped taking orders at 3,500

- For existing orders, hand out phones on a first-come-first-serve basis. Instead they kept all the phones in BKK. Maybe for the TV cameras?!

- Granted immediate refunds for those who pre-ordered and didn't get the phone, rather than a 1 month wait.

Current iPhone 3Gs prices in Hong Kong (factory unlocked):

16GB: 23168 THB

32GB: 27038 THB

What are the mall prices in MBK? Last I head they were 10,000 BHT more than the above for HK unlocked models. I guess it's about global demand, they sell on ebay for $1000... if I lived in HK I'd be making a killing... :)

Still waiting for my True phone....

Update: Got my new iPhone 3GS from True on Sunday as promised. No line, I was there at 10:00 am sharp and I was the first person to pick up their phone. I saw about 50 phones in the box, so I guess there weren't all that many pre-orders in Chiang Mai.

True girl didn't even try to sell me on a True plan which I found curious. Even when I asked she told me I can use any Sim card including AIS and DTAC. Well... good :) Looks like True has no option for pre-paid + data, or, as the sales lady said, only "very expensive" ones. 40 baht / day?! Yeah, no thanks. The True postpaid plans at 599 baht would make sense if True WiFi worked really well (which it doesn't) and if they had 3G outside BKK (which they don't). I guess it might make sense in BKK at least you'd get 3G. But for Chiang mai, it's way overpriced.

I am very happy with the phone. My 1G does about 90% of what the new one does, but there are lots and lots of little incremental improvements that add up to something almost worth 24K Baht. No way it would be worth upgrading from a 3G though.

Compared to the 1G, I now have:

- 3G in those countries where it works, not worth much in Thailand

- Real GPS, which is great. Found my house, and Google maps even has a map of the road leading to my house which is amazing. 3G has that already

- Better camera with autofocus.

- Video camera. Not sure I'll use this but the editing is pretty amazing, like you would expect on the iPhone. You can crop movies with a very nice touch interface. Video looks great.

- The compass!

- Compass function on google maps. It shows you which way you are looking, and rotates the map.

- It's fast - no delays for anything, anywhere. I didn't think the old one was all that slow, but the new one feels a bit smoother.

Edited by nikster