Moving The Family To Singapore

I have a plan- I would love some feedback on whether it is possible. I have a job offer in Singapore- so I have no prob there. Thai wife would be a dependent so I believe that she also would be ok for visa- not sure if she could work but I am not bothered about that. My wife's girl who lives with us is 5 (nearly 6) and is a major part of our family, although we have not started adoption process in Thailand yet. She will attend an international school in Singapore as I get full expat package with the job. She will enter I think on student visa. Dad did not register birth has never been around, and my wife has sole parent status. Can anyone see problem with us all moving to Singapore. Should we start adoption process or just leave it for a while?

Wife can work on the dependent visa after obtaining permission immigration. My wife did so in 1999.

I assume if you are going on full package, the company will sort the visas. If they inlcude the step daughter in your package, should not be a problem with her visa, which I assume would be another dependent visa, not student.

TH

Edited by thaihome

The most important visa is your work visa, as long as you get that ok you will be fine.

The depandant passes are issued very quick and I doubt you will have trouble for the wife or her child.

Your wife would not be able to work on a depandant pass unless she has a letter of consent which your work could probably get for you.

BTW - all the visas in Singapore can be obtained quickly especially if you register online. Whole process online can be done in days!

The most important visa is your work visa, as long as you get that ok you will be fine.

The depandant passes are issued very quick and I doubt you will have trouble for the wife or her child.

Your wife would not be able to work on a depandant pass unless she has a letter of consent which your work could probably get for you.

BTW - all the visas in Singapore can be obtained quickly especially if you register online. Whole process online can be done in days!

Thanks for all this info and excellent advice

Thanks for all this info and excellent advice

BTW - I meant to say the online registeration is by your employer not yourself. As long as they do it online it will be quick. The onus is entirely on the employer to secure the employee the P or S pass. If down the road you go for a PR then it is on your back, as is a PEP.

You might want to check that your employer will pay fees etc. for a child who you have no legal responsibility over. You are married to her mother I know but it might be better to check. At some point in ever distancing relationships, they will not pay. Each company is likely to be different.

Hello and congrats on your job in Singapore.

I have just left there after working on Employment Passes for almost 8 years.

Good news for me is that I have been asked to return this November, employer willing to sponsor the wife and two kids also.

Does the child hold the same surname as your wifes or at least the same on the birth cert?

Is the birth cert in English?

Check with your employer as they will be very conversant with the regs in Singapore and if they are willing to sponsor your wife , for sure they will sponsor your girl.

Thai embassy in Singapore is very good and can pass on contacts that can supply you with translation/notorised copies.

You can enter Singapore on a major western passport/asian passport for up to 30 days and get all this sorted while you are there.I know this because I have done it, and our daughter at that time did not have my surname, although I was on the birth cert and she was accepted for a dependents pass.

Alternativaly if you find a school before hand , and you enter into contract for education, the option of a student visa is available.

My advice is.......check with your employer first.

Cheers and, hopefully, will see you there.

Chris

Edited by soihok

Just to add.

You have a very good contract if your employer will pay for the school fees , as for private international schools the fees are very high, although she is very young.

Half days would be good but if your wife intends to work she will need to apply for a work permit/employment pass through her employer.

Dependents pass holders are not legally allowed to work on a dependents pass,,must have a work permit/employment pass as Marksamui pointed out.

Good luck.

If you want to know more info PM me and we can talk on the phone.....in Thailand that is.

Edited by soihok

• 2 months later...
I have a plan- I would love some feedback on whether it is possible. I have a job offer in Singapore- so I have no prob there. Thai wife would be a dependent so I believe that she also would be ok for visa- not sure if she could work but I am not bothered about that. My wife's girl who lives with us is 5 (nearly 6) and is a major part of our family, although we have not started adoption process in Thailand yet. She will attend an international school in Singapore as I get full expat package with the job. She will enter I think on student visa. Dad did not register birth has never been around, and my wife has sole parent status. Can anyone see problem with us all moving to Singapore. Should we start adoption process or just leave it for a while?

Hi, I have almost same situation as you, would really appracite if you could reply me of your out come as I really have no clue how to go about doing it, I am in the midst ofapplying PR for my wife hope she get it & as for my wife daughter, the legal process of adopting her seems complicated & not sure where to starts? Your input is greatly appraciated. Thanks & good lucK!

PR in Singapore requires few years living in country. However there should be no issues to bring your wife and her child over as dependant.

Singapore is one of the fastest and most efficient places to get EP's (work permits) etc. It does not need that much paperwork from the company and takes few days. No need to travel outside to get visas etc. Basickly you just get a job and submit the papers and that's it.

Some professions are reserved for citizens and PR's only but there is not many of them.