Thaksin Supporter " Da Torpedo " Convicted Of Lese Majeste

vail07

I think someone needs to update the Wikipedia entry on lese majesty and its section on Thailand.

It seems their quote of 15 years maximum sentence under Article 112 is wrong.

Does anyone know what it now stands at?

She was given 6 years per count, 3 counts.

Maximum in accordance to the law was therefor 45 years. She got 18.

What a bargain!

Some countries allow sentences to be served concurrently instead of consecutively for similar crimes...under certain circumstances.

That would be a bargain. Do 3 crimes, pay for 1...

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have always been an avid anti Monarchist here in the land of Oz.

However, I had the absolute honor of living in Thailand and witnessing first hand what a TRUE Monarch does and had done for HIS people.

I have the utmost, profound respect for His Royal Majesty and only wish more royals the globe over had the heart, soul and unconditional love for his people, as the amazing Monarch of Thailand has.

May he live long and happy.

Long Live the King. What a blessed man. Honest to God.

PK.

She was given 6 years per count, 3 counts.

Maximum in accordance to the law was therefor 45 years. She got 18.

What a bargain!

Some countries allow sentences to be served concurrently instead of consecutively for similar crimes...under certain circumstances.

That would be a bargain. Do 3 crimes, pay for 1...

You don't think getting 18 instead of 45 is a bargain too? That's almost 3 (15 x 3) for the price of 1 (18).

Edited by tropo

Daranee, who remains in custody, has been charged with 45 counts of murder, arson, mayhem, destruction of property, and treason against the Thai state in addition to her three counts of lese-majeste. Although she is legally entitled to separate trials for each charge, many in the Thai government are calling for her immediate execution.

Did she murder, kill anyone ? :D

LaoPo

He was attempting irony via appropriation from 'Not The Nation' website.

Irony in the 1st person seems beyond the ken in this case.

I suppose that using an attempt at using irony while using a particular institution is now appropriate. :)

Daranee, who remains in custody, has been charged with 45 counts of murder, arson, mayhem, destruction of property, and treason against the Thai state in addition to her three counts of lese-majeste. Although she is legally entitled to separate trials for each charge, many in the Thai government are calling for her immediate execution.

LaoPo

Not everyone is as perfect as you are Animatic... :D I, for one, didn't see it was the "Not the Nation" he was quoting.

Mea Culpa. Maybe you should look it up what it means....I've never seen you admitting a mistake.

Ken.....? are you referring to the boyfriend of Barbie ? :)

I would appreciate if you refrain yourself from your well hidden attacks on my person in the future Animatic; thank you.

You don't have to be my friend but at least you could try to be a Gentleman. Just try.

LaoPo

post-87177-1251437416.jpg

Da Torpedo sentenced to 18 years in jail for lese majeste

By The Nation

The Criminal Court on Friday found activist Daranee Chancheonsilapakul, aka Da Torpedo, guilty of lese majeste and sentenced her to a combined jail term of 18 years.

Daranee, 46, made a series of inflammatory speeches at the red-shirt rallies, notably the demonstration last June at Sanam Luang. Her remarks were against the 2006 coup but laced with offensive references to the monarchy.

The court said in its verdict that Daranee had maliciously offended the monarchy as per Article 112 of the Criminal Code.

She was penalised for three counts of lese majeste, each carrying the punishment for six year imprisonment.

The court found no cause for leniency because the defendant showed no remorse.

About 30 supporters showed up at the verdict session but none dressed in red.

I think someone needs to update the Wikipedia entry on lese majesty and its section on Thailand.

I think that it always pays to read, at least, the opening page of a thread before posting - and yes I know that at another person has answered you before!

:)

Aaaah. At last someone bites...

Thank you for your criticism.

I know I can sometimes be wrong.

I, like you, am human.

:D:D

Edited by Splatter

we all come to thailand with different purposes and intentions. most are here by our own free will. no one ever forces us to visit thailand. many come just to visit but then find many numerous personal reasons to stay a while longer....

regardless whether we are here for a brief holidays or are here to stay a little longer.... we are all guests....

even if many of us have thai family members and intend to stay on even longer .... we are still guests....

many since their arrival have made significant social contributions and helped thai people to have better quality of life ....

while a small fraction of our brothers and sisters came to this country and enjoyed themselves a little too freely and too much and got into troubles of various kinds and degrees....

summarily, i am just imploring everyone not to forget that thailand is still a wonderful country with aplenty comforts to offer everyone.... young or not so young alike....

WHY DON'T WE JUST ENJOY OURSELVES TO THE FULLEST WHILE WE ARE HERE.... and leave other laws teasing stuff to the local politically correct persons.... and any day that we truly feel that we can no longer enjoy ourselves any longer, there is no one to tell us that we can not leave for other greener pastures else where....

and as long as we are here, let's just have fun and stay within the boundary of local laws and customs.... so as to avoid endangering our rights and our precious freedom to enjoy our life to the very fullest and travel to wherever and whenever our passports will allow us....

cheers everyone

LONG LIVE OUR BELOVED KING AND QUEEN OF THAILAND

Edited by nakachalet

I hope Da Torpedo does not get off so easy.

Why is that TAWP?

LaoPo

You mean, why I hope she doesn't get pardoned in December?

Since a direct threat upon a very special family's life's isn't a matter of insults and I can understand the anger her speech has stirred in some groups. She was calling for blood in a very direct way.

no she wasn't. and in no way in a very direct way.

but talking about the French Revolution 1789 could be become difficult in Thailand.

that isn't a big day for democracy in thailand. but didn't had the democrats a couple of month ago a proposal to sharpen law and sentence for LM crimes?

like an extention to control new media like the internet better and also double possible sentences.

----------------------------

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L%C3%A8se_majest%C3%A9

Thailand

Thailand's Criminal Code has carried a prohibition against lèse majesté since 1908[2].

In 1932, when Thailand's monarchy ceased to be absolute and a constitution was adopted, it too included language prohibiting lèse majesté. The 2007 Constitution of Thailand, and all 17 versions since 1932, contain the clause, "The King shall be enthroned in a position of revered worship and shall not be violated. No person shall expose the King to any sort of accusation or action."

Thai Criminal Code elaborates in Article 112: "Whoever defames, insults or threatens the King, Queen, the Heir-apparent or the Regent, shall be punished with imprisonment of three to 15 years."

Missing from the Code, however, is a definition of what actions constitute "defamation" or "insult".[3]

It is important to note that neither the King nor any member of the Royal Family has ever personally filed any charges under this law. In fact, during his birthday speech in 2005, King Bhumibol Adulyadej encouraged criticism: "Actually, I must also be criticized. I am not afraid if the criticism concerns what I do wrong, because then I know." He later added, "But the King can do wrong."

why, she got 6 years in 3 different cases.

Thank you for the update.

I did not realise that there were 3 separate cases.

Because the details of lese majesty cases are rarely published or discussed, and that the session was held behind closed doors, I didn't know this.

Thanks again for the update.

It is unfortunate that neither 'party' by restraint of protocol or due process of 'open court' proceedings can neither respond nor give eight to these issues.

A hard one to call.

rgdz to All,

Brewsta

Maybe the Thai court could take a lesson from its clearly more humane neighbour to the north and reduce the sentence to 18 years house arrest.

BS, in Burma she would have never been standing on a stage at an anti-government rally! And if she would have insulted the junta she would have simply disapeared. Wait, you are right, I wish they learned a lesson from Burma :)

I just for my own person, I would not like if someone speaks about hacking off my head in front of a cheering crowed......

I agree this was absolutely inexcusable and irresponsible behavior. If true then in my opinion she deserved what she got. :)

PERHAPS many of us are a little fuzzy about thai people....

thailand is divided into 4 regions, namely; north, east, central and south....

most of the thai people in the south, central and north are supportive of generally recognized democratic government....

whereas people in the eastern province are mostly suffering from their geographical barrenness and therefore are not as well to do nor as educated as their contemporaries, so they are more susceptible to propaganda and such....

incidentally, it is in this eastern region that tuxsin and his followers were most effective in whatever they do....

in the mind of many, in terms of the above and in terms of reality, it is virtually humanly impossible to achieve what they ultimately hope to attain.... not now and not in the next thousand years.... they just do not have the charm nor the charisma to attract the educated and the other middle of the road thai people.... in my humble opinion

so let's just continue to enjoy ourselves in different ways and fashions to the fullest today, tomorrow and the next day....

cheers

PERHAPS many of us are a little fuzzy about thai people....

thailand is divided into 4 regions, namely; north, east, central and south....

most of the thai people in the south, central and north are supportive of generally recognized democratic government....

whereas people in the eastern province are mostly suffering from their geographical barrenness and therefore are not as well to do nor as educated as their contemporaries, so they are more susceptible to propaganda and such....

incidentally, it is in this eastern region that tuxsin and his followers were most effective in whatever they do....

I think you're a little fuzzy about Thai geography unless they moved Isaan overnight without telling anybody. :)

summarily, i am just imploring everyone not to forget that thailand is still a wonderful country with aplenty comforts to offer everyone.... young or not so young alike....

To apply your argument to a far more extreme case, I am certain that the post-Weimar Republic also offered plenty of comforts for some, just not to others. Yes, a westerner can retire in Thailand in comfort for far less than that same comfort would cost elsewhere. And yes, one can replace a middle class existence in the developed countries with a neo-sahib lifestyle in Thailand that even includes servants and chauffeurs, not to mention cheap BJs. And one can hob-nob and sometimes even marry into what one imagines are members of the local "high society". Life can indeed be comfortable, far more comfortable than one could have imagined back home. But to extrapolate that to the false idea that Thailand offers comforts to "everyone" shows that you have maybe buried your head into the sands far too deeply to be safely extracted with your reasoning intact as you are clearly only thinking with that last bit of exposed body that I see wiggling above the sand.

18 years for voicing one's opinion is barbaric, as she believed what she was saying was the truth.

It was not a slanderous attack but a speech about a personal belief.

Well a very salient point is:

She made this speech in front of huge crowd,

members of whom had proved publicly quite violent in the recent past.

If it could be said she was inciting the public at a rally to bring down the monarchy...

Well that's not kosher by most any measure.

If she said the same at a dinner party it's one thing, poor taste, though free speech,

but the context is very important.

Example: it is correct to yell fire outside a burning house or

inside a burning house to alert the inhabitants to danger.

But it is NOT legal to do so in a crowded theater,

because of the danger of panic causing much more danger...vs.

the controlled exit.

We must inform you that the show has been suspended,

we ask you to please exit the theater quickly, in an orderly manner

Thank you.

Big difference.

Again context in the public area is quite valid criteria to amplify the severity of words in use.

Most countries including USA have laws on Sedition.

se·di·tion noun

Etymology: Latin seditio, literally, separation, from sed apart + itio act of going, from ire to go

: the crime of creating a revolt, disturbance, or violence against lawful civil authority

with the intent to cause its overthrow or destruction

—compare CRIMINAL SYNDICALISM, SABOTAGE —se·di·tious /-sh&s/ adjective —se·di·tious·ly adverb

Merriam-Webster's Dictionary of Law

se⋅di⋅tion –noun

1.incitement of discontent or rebellion against a government.

2.any action, esp. in speech or writing, promoting such discontent or rebellion.

3.Archaic. rebellious disorder.

Origin: 1325–75;

—Synonyms

1. insurrection, mutiny. See treason.

Based on the Random House Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2009.

Likely Thaksin and RedTak leaders were guilty of this around Songkran.

I am pretty certain there is a component of this logic in her sentencing.

Edited by animatic

Maybe the Thai court could take a lesson from its clearly more humane neighbour to the north and reduce the sentence to 18 years house arrest.

To make such a comparison is really an insult to the intellect.... :)

It was also clearly and deeply ironic....

To make such a comparison is really an insult to the intellect.... :D

It was also clearly and deeply ironic....

More like clearly and deeply "moronic". :)

LaoPo

Not everyone is as perfect as you are Animatic... :D I, for one, didn't see it was the "Not the Nation" he was quoting.

Mea Culpa. Maybe you should look it up what it means....I've never seen you admitting a mistake.

Ken.....? are you referring to the boyfriend of Barbie ? :)

I would appreciate if you refrain yourself from your well hidden attacks on my person in the future Animatic; thank you.

You don't have to be my friend but at least you could try to be a Gentleman. Just try.

LaoPo

LaoPo it was not aimed at you. Sorry if you misunderstood.

Scots reference.

LaoPo it was not aimed at you. Sorry if you misunderstood.

Scots reference.

LaoPo

Ah, Goodwife,

Mea Culpa..... well yes I did take Latin back in the day. 1968. Hated it.

Dad used to teach it too, didn't make me like it more.

Veni vidi vici, carpe deum, quid pro quo, ad infinitum.

Oh if you look, you can find me admitting mistakes many times here.

I am perfectly willing to change my point of view IF new information

comes to my attention that invalidates my past perceptions.

PS you have mail.

Edited by animatic

To apply your argument to a far more extreme case, I am certain that the post-Weimar Republic also offered plenty of comforts for some, just not to others. Yes, a westerner can retire in Thailand in comfort for far less than that same comfort would cost elsewhere. And yes, one can replace a middle class existence in the developed countries with a neo-sahib lifestyle in Thailand that even includes servants and chauffeurs, not to mention cheap BJs. And one can hob-nob and sometimes even marry into what one imagines are members of the local "high society". Life can indeed be comfortable, far more comfortable than one could have imagined back home. But to extrapolate that to the false idea that Thailand offers comforts to "everyone" shows that you have maybe buried your head into the sands far too deeply to be safely extracted with your reasoning intact as you are clearly only thinking with that last bit of exposed body that I see wiggling above the sand.

He shoots, he scores!!! Johpa for president. You're always on target, man. :)