Police Shoot Rottweiler

G54

In Nakhonsawan the police were called out to an incident involving a Rottweiler dog. The dog attacked a 60 year old woman leaving her needing almost 100 stitches in her upper leg. She was lucky others were there to help get the dog off her.

The police shot the dog and then arrested the owner who, it seems, had allowed the dog out into the street unsupervised where the attack took place.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Have to agree with the sentiments about the owner. I have never understood the need to keep these dogs. You can never really feel comfortable with them as pets and I would certainly never trust one near a child.

At least the woman is recovering in hospital but I can imagine she will never feel safe near a dog again after such an attack. And in Thailand that must be a terrible fear to have with so many dogs roaming the streets though the majority do not attack.

Should have shot the owner for not controling the dog.

Couldn't agree more.

Theres always someone who blames the owners and just won't face the facts that rottweilers and the like should be kept in zoos and not allowed around humans.

I wonder if any of the people posting the negative comments about Rottweilers have ever owned one or even had any interaction with one? I seriously doubt it as it seems none of you actually know anything about these dogs! Dogs attack people every day for a number of different reasons, mainly lack of training and socialization when the dog was young, it's nothing to do with the breed. Most people who have owned many different breeds of dogs say that Rotties are their favourite as they are the most loving and least problematic. Because Rottweilers are one of the most intelligent and easily trainable breed of dogs, and they are also big and strong, people often have them as guard dogs. But the majority are kept as loving family pets and are absolutely fine with people, including kids, and other dogs. My neighbour had Rotties when I was a kid and all they ever did was play with the local kids, even when we were a bit rough with them. I am the proud owner of a 6 month old female Rottie and she's had lots of training and socialization and loves everyone, she's never shown any sign of aggression towards anyone or other dogs and meets many people, including kids, on a daily basis. But there are sometimes people who avoid her when she's walking towards them and that is for one reason...ridiculous stories in the media and internet (like this one on thaivisa!) which gives them bad press. This story wouldn't have been posted at all if the dog involved wasn't a Rottweiler, I see soi dogs chasing and biting people on a regular basis here in Thailand but they don't get shot! THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A BAD DOG, JUST A BAD OWNER!!!

I wonder if any of the people posting the negative comments about Rottweilers have ever owned one or even had any interaction with one? I seriously doubt it as it seems none of you actually know anything about these dogs! Dogs attack people every day for a number of different reasons, mainly lack of training and socialization when the dog was young, it's nothing to do with the breed. Most people who have owned many different breeds of dogs say that Rotties are their favourite as they are the most loving and least problematic. Because Rottweilers are one of the most intelligent and easily trainable breed of dogs, and they are also big and strong, people often have them as guard dogs. But the majority are kept as loving family pets and are absolutely fine with people, including kids, and other dogs. My neighbour had Rotties when I was a kid and all they ever did was play with the local kids, even when we were a bit rough with them. I am the proud owner of a 6 month old female Rottie and she's had lots of training and socialization and loves everyone, she's never shown any sign of aggression towards anyone or other dogs and meets many people, including kids, on a daily basis. But there are sometimes people who avoid her when she's walking towards them and that is for one reason...ridiculous stories in the media and internet (like this one on thaivisa!) which gives them bad press. This story wouldn't have been posted at all if the dog involved wasn't a Rottweiler, I see soi dogs chasing and biting people on a regular basis here in Thailand but they don't get shot! THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A BAD DOG, JUST A BAD OWNER!!!

I have never said anything negative about the breed, i have known many people in the UK that have and still have the breed.

Like you said no such thing as a bad dog, just a bad owner. So therefore the owner was at fault.

There has still been cases in the Uk where they have turned on family members so i would say that they are a breed that cannot be fully trusted.

I have never said anything negative about the breed, i have known many people in the UK that have and still have the breed.

Like you said no such thing as a bad dog, just a bad owner. So therefore the owner was at fault.

There has still been cases in the Uk where they have turned on family members so i would say that they are a breed that cannot be fully trusted.

Any dog can turn on anyone in any country for many different reasons, it's not unique to the Rottweiler breed but if a Rottie does it then it gets in the news!

How long before a Rottie /Pitbull /Doberman owner makes the But poodles can be dangerous statement... :)

I have friends that own all of the breeds above, yup when behaving they are lovely creatures, but would I trust them or any other breed with a small inquisitive kid ! NO.Difference being a large dog can inflict more damage.

Its a big responsibility owning a dog of any size, but id rather be attacked by a poodle than a Rottie any day.

Most dogs will have a "go" if the mood takes them.

The trouble with Rots and Bulls etc is that when they have a go they don't, or, can't stop and the damage they inflict can be permanently disfiguring, or, terminal!

The more freedom you give a dog the better behaved it is.

Locking dogs up makes them frustrated and vicious and establishes bad behaviour patterns.

E.G. Soi dogs seldom if ever attack anybody, mainly, in my opinion, because they are allowed to roam, blend with the human community and establish their own space and territory.

However, the debate on human/animal co-existence, will go on forever!!

Couldn't agree more.

Theres always someone who blames the owners and just won't face the facts that rottweilers and the like should be kept in zoos and not allowed around humans.

The dog was not in the grounds of the house it was on the street and unsupervised. That has to make the owner be irresponsible with a dog of that type.

Many of us do understand that Rottweilers can be dangerous dogs, the same as Pit Bulls and Thai fighting dogs. So they should be kept under supervision.

Often though when breeding some dogs a rogue element can creep in. This happened with German Shepherds in the UK and the breed were given a bad reputation but it was the breeders at fault. The Kennel Club took a long time to act and it took even longer - obviously - to breed out those types of dog from the breed.

I understand the owner is also going to be landed with a hefty hospital bill. Serves him right too.

Edited by G54

In Hua Hins poonsuk road there is a white pitbull type beast that the old thai woman who runs the dog groomers keeps by the side of the footpath. Last year i was walking down the street and had the fright of my life as this animal leaped from the bench without warning where it was seemingly asleep, it was only the frighteningly feeble cheap long length of chain that stopped it in midair from savaging me and probably leaving me with a hefty hospital bill. A few days later i saw the same dog roaming the soi and my worries were confirmed when 10 mins later a small toy type dog was screaming for it's life as the it was in the jaws of the this beast.

At the end of the day the people who defend all these dangerous dogs pitbulls rott's etc will just not be told. Similar too pointing out to someone with tattoos and and 'singha' T-Shirt that he has made some bad choices, he never be able to see the truth.

I googled the top 10 dangerous dogs.

Here is the up to date Top 10 Dangerous dogs, based on the overall number of reported attacks in the UK in 2006.

1. Staffordshire Terrier - 279

2. Cattle Dog - 208

3. Rottweiler - 173

4. German Shepherd - 166

5. Pit Bull - 133

6. Kelpie - 100

7. Bullmastiff - 90

8. Labrador - 83

9. Bull Terrier - 74

10. Terrier - 66

Most sites I looked at have Rotts in the top 3. Speaks for itself really.

Here is the up to date Top 10 Dangerous dogs, based on the overall number of reported attacks in the UK in 2006.

2. Cattle Dog - 208

3. Rottweiler - 173

4. German Shepherd - 166

5. Pit Bull - 133

6. Kelpie - 100

7. Bullmastiff - 90

8. Labrador - 83

9. Bull Terrier - 74

10. Terrier - 66

I've never seen a 'cattle dog' in the UK before are you sure thats a UK poll? I've googled and it's an Australian breed ( It's prob got tatoos) :)

Edited by loser1

2. Cattle Dog - 208

3. Rottweiler - 173

4. German Shepherd - 166

5. Pit Bull - 133

6. Kelpie - 100

7. Bullmastiff - 90

8. Labrador - 83

9. Bull Terrier - 74

10. Terrier - 66

And if you look into each case you will find that the vast majority of attacks by Rottweilers are by abused and un-nuetered males that spent most of their life chained up, who were not trained or socialized when puppy's and were mainly used as some sort of guard dog. If you googled a bit more you'd find lots of stories about Rottweilers being amazing family pets and often used to visit patients in hospital as they are so docile and friendly...but you wouldn't look for that would you because you've made your mind up already about them.

you've made your mind up already about them

I like big dogs but, as others mentioned, whilst Rottweilers might not be the most aggressive dogs, they are BIG! Apparently the the dog that bites most in Germany is the Dachshund; difference is I can just drop-kick a dog like that if it comes for me; don't really see myself doing that with a Rottweiler :)

" THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A BAD DOG, JUST A BAD OWNER!!! "..wrong im afraid, ( well in this case anyway ) my friend had one from a pup for 5 years, had 2 kids that also grew up with the dog, one day the dog for no apparent reason flew at his daughter and she needed 50 stiches in her arms and head,. so, as much as i can see where you are coming from i for one would NEVER take a chance,...... :)

" THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A BAD DOG, JUST A BAD OWNER!!! "..wrong im afraid, ( well in this case anyway ) my friend had one from a pup for 5 years, had 2 kids that also grew up with the dog, one day the dog for no apparent reason flew at his daughter and she needed 50 stiches in her arms and head,. so, as much as i can see where you are coming from i for one would NEVER take a chance,...... :)

Your wasting your time trying to reason with the unreasonable, i think it's as if these dangerous dog lovers have a sensibility gene missing from their genetic make up that makes them not be able to see when something is just not right. Can you imagine how many other things would be allowed if they had their way drink driving, the right to bear arms( thats worked out well everywhere hasn't it), no speed limits, no visa restrictions so any scumbag who can scrape together the airfare for Thailand can stay indefinitley sipping chang and chain smoking in there 100% polyester chang vests constantly on the move for the cheapest price until they end up on a stool outside the local ma and pa shop dreaming of being able to afford dinner let alone a rottweiller. :D

Any parent that buys a dangerous dog when they have kids is sending out a clear signal to the authorities that they are too irresponsible to be trusted with children.

Edited by loser1

2. Cattle Dog - 208

3. Rottweiler - 173

4. German Shepherd - 166

5. Pit Bull - 133

6. Kelpie - 100

7. Bullmastiff - 90

8. Labrador - 83

9. Bull Terrier - 74

10. Terrier - 66

And if you look into each case you will find that the vast majority of attacks by Rottweilers are by abused and un-nuetered males that spent most of their life chained up, who were not trained or socialized when puppy's and were mainly used as some sort of guard dog. If you googled a bit more you'd find lots of stories about Rottweilers being amazing family pets and often used to visit patients in hospital as they are so docile and friendly...but you wouldn't look for that would you because you've made your mind up already about them.

I have either owned or been around German Shepherds since I was in my early teens. I had one bad one. I suspected it was not right but suspicion is not proof. I had the proof when it snapped at one of my teenage sons friends for no reason.

Next it did the same to the wife.

It was taken to the vets to be neutered in an attempt to calm it down.

Under anaesthetic the dog tried to savage the vet.

That dog was immediately put down under my instructions.

I do know a thing or two about dogs, large and small and how to care for and supervise them.

The worst of the lot are often snappy little dogs that nip a lot of people but a nip is not the same as needing almost 100 stitches and being at risk of death from blood loss.

The facts also speak for themselves. A big dog not under supervision that attacks people does a lot more damage than a small yappy poodle.

There is plenty of documented evidence that says Rotts ( amongst some others) are dangerous. And the figures I gave above are from insurance claims.

Would I ever trust a big breed of dog with a known reputation for attacks? No.

Is my mind made up? Yes. Experience made my mind up for me.

skyblustu, I totally agree with you. I must admit that at first I was sceptical, but when I went looking for a dog here I found a Rottweiler breeder. Having had large dogs before I researched the Rottweiler, I checked personally the temprement of his sire and dam and bought a pup. He is now 7 years old and the perfect family companion. Like all pack animals they need an Alpha male and that has to be the owner. We have boisterous fun, but he knows when he has to stop. The Rottweiler needs a family and once it has accepted it's position in that family (usually no 2 to it's owner} it is very loving and very protective of the family. If trained and treated properly they are no problem . I have a 5 year old son who can do anything he wants to the dog. He is in grounds that are fully walled and when visitors arrive he barks and sometimes growls, buy when he's told it's OK he's fine. My female dog follows my Mother in Law around and will always sit by her. Your sentiement about no bad dogs is absolutley true. The onlt dog I have ever been bitten by was a small yapping poodle, and the owner just laughed it off.

skyblustu, I totally agree with you. I must admit that at first I was sceptical, but when I went looking for a dog here I found a Rottweiler breeder. Having had large dogs before I researched the Rottweiler, I checked personally the temprement of his sire and dam and bought a pup. He is now 7 years old and the perfect family companion. Like all pack animals they need an Alpha male and that has to be the owner. We have boisterous fun, but he knows when he has to stop. The Rottweiler needs a family and once it has accepted it's position in that family (usually no 2 to it's owner} it is very loving and very protective of the family. If trained and treated properly they are no problem . I have a 5 year old son who can do anything he wants to the dog. He is in grounds that are fully walled and when visitors arrive he barks and sometimes growls, buy when he's told it's OK he's fine. My female dog follows my Mother in Law around and will always sit by her. Your sentiement about no bad dogs is absolutley true. The onlt dog I have ever been bitten by was a small yapping poodle, and the owner just laughed it off.

5 year olds, rottweilers .... frightening...thanks dad for looking out for my safety.

These were originally used as "wardogs" ages upon ages ago. I think even the Roman armies used such a breed to unleash upon the enemy. Still, it is in their DNA just as it is in that of German Shepards but it is how they are brought up and treated that makes them what they are. I knew a rotty that was just a big dumb puppy dog basically and didn't realize he hurt anyone when he jumped up and down them to play. I love dogs but I hate people who get these dogs as a status symbol or for pit-fighting or as guard dogs.

How much of the objecting is being done by those who were not raised around larger dogs?

My family always had large hunting dogs (Retrievers, Weimaraners, etc). For the family pet, we had Alsatians (German Shepherds) because they were wonderful around kids. There were three of us - myself and two boys who were all boy, so the dogs had to have temperaments that could withstand constant terrorizing.

When I left home, at various points I lived with a Rottweiler and a Doberman. I didn't have problems with any, but those not authorised to come on the property became quite fearful. And for good reason. With family or friend the dogs were docile, playful even. With an unauthorised entry of an adult, there was a total change in personality. And that is the way they were trained. And I never forgot what they were trained for as it was at the back of my mind, always.

One neighbourhood I lived in was not safe due to it being a bad place to live - so a Doberman was the answer. The other was not safe as it had a rash of robberies due to it being too nice of a place to live - entre the Rottweiler.

When the Rottweiler got older, there were some cranky moments. She didn't like you to play rough around the ears (the older she got, the more tender they got). And some Rottweiler's have hip problems. A given, kids rough housing with a dog in pain is not a good combo. So common sense does come into it - keep kids away from any dogs in pain or distress.

But I've never seen a reason for having the unknown to me - a Pit bull. Mostly, because they scare the bejesus out of me.

And I've been bitten by a Rottweiler but they still don't bother my like Pit bull's do... His master died suddenly, his mistress was in emotional distress, and I walked by their house. The dog attacked and attacked and attacked. I grabbed the nearest stick and started attacking back while cussing as loud as I could. I still have the scars as a reminder. But even though I was scared (bleeding) at the time, I knew what to do so I never felt totally helpless.

I dislike Pit bulls because I've never had one, and what I do know about them from reading the papers and Internet terrifies me. So much so, that I'm of the 'this breed should be put down' opinion.

I know, it's not logical when you take my other preferences into account.

And I see that Pit bulls are even lumped in with Rottweilers in the Clifton Report...

Clifton Report

"If almost any other dog has a bad moment, someone may get bitten, but will not be maimed for life or killed, and the actuarial risk is accordingly reasonable. If a pit bull terrier or a Rottweiler has a bad moment, often someone is maimed or killed--and that has now created off-the-chart actuarial risk, for which the dogs as well as their victims are paying the price."http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pit_Bull#cite_note-22

I'm just one person here, but it does make me think that preference and beliefs are all about what you were raised with. What you are used to. I read about Pit bulls and think, 'what WERE they thinking?' But when I think about Rottweilers, Dobermans and Alsatians (especially Alsatians), I have fond memories.

I recently posted that I was a UK Police Dog Handler/trainer and have owned dogs for almost all of my life. I now own 3 Rottweilers and a Pit Bull, all of our neighbours remark how polite my dogs are and do a good job at night when someone is prowling around. My dogs are walked ON THEIR LEADS BY MYSELF AND NO-ONE ELSE. When they visit the Vets they are no trouble at all. The eldest Rottweiler has only ever bitten a Thai lady, who I now find out has Psychological problems. As we walked past her shop she decided that it was a good idea to run out of her shop and hit him on the head with a large lump of ice. Thus the dog defended himself and bit her which luckily for her was nothing more than a scratch as I had been able to control him whilst he was on the lead. I was forced to pay the sum of 10,000 THB for damages, and for hospital treatment. As if? A new TV was seen on show shortly after this incident.

What I am trying to say that it is not always the dog that is at fault but the owners who are so irresponsible. The worst dogs that I have found out here for biting are the Thai Bangaeuws and The Siberian Huskies. In the UK I found that it was Jack Russells and Border Collies not Rotties or Staffies. One must remember that bad news always sells a newspaper so what better than to report Oh! another Rottie ot a Pit Bull has mauled a child or whatever. Not a Toy poodle entered a child's crib and bit it to death, that it never reported as front page news but merely a slight mention.

Should anything happen to any of my dogs I will replace them with the same breed again. I would appreciate that if you have never owned one of these fine breeds of dogs, then please don't give them a bad name.......