Solar Water Heater

Gary A

A number of years ago I lived in an apartment in Bangkok. It had a solar water heater on the roof. It produced hot water 24/7 365 days per year. In fact it got so hot that I had to add a cold water line to be able to mix cold water with it. The unit was about a meter cube size and on the top it resembled a car radiator with the tank under it. I KNOW it couldn't have cost much because the Thai who owned it is as tight as the bark on a tree. Any ideas? I now wish I would have looked it over more carefully.

Check out banlaesuan magazine (too bad they don't have an english version, I love this magazine), there is usually one business in there who advertises these. They look like a round stainless tank with a solar panel attached. We were quoted one here for 35,000 baht.

Check out banlaesuan magazine (too bad they don't have an english version, I love this magazine), there is usually one business in there who advertises these. They look like a round stainless tank with a solar panel attached. We were quoted one here for 35,000 baht.

Something similar in Chiang Mai was quoted at 60,000, including install.

They're not that difficult to make for yourself. I built 3 4x8 solar panels for a total of 10,000 baht. Mine runs into a pool, but you could make a storage tank for it, too.

Here's an photo of what I made

solarpanels.jpg

Edited by Ajarn

Ajarn - you're my hero - I love doing stuff like that. I always used to at home, but have no tools/money/property here. What's in that system? just black pipes? And is that you in the picture.

When I was in New Zealand years ago on meditation retreat I had a solar water bag. Clear plastic on the front, and black plastic on the back. just put it in the sun for an hour and you had a hot shower.

http://freeenergynews.com/index.html

this site has lots of interesting stuff. I visit it almost daily - there are lots of bizaare things too, but often real gems, and good links to other sites too.

In the tropics you probably don't need a tank. I built one out of 4" black DWV pipe formed into a manifold. You do need a small tank with a float valve to feed the thing. And, in the morning the water isn't that hot, but it works.

solar03.jpg

In the tropics you probably don't need a tank. I built one out of 4" black DWV pipe formed into a manifold. You do need a small tank with a float valve to feed the thing. And, in the morning the water isn't that hot, but it works.

That's pretty nifty! :D

Smart idea to use big pipes, I think. Kinda acts like it's own small tank.. :o

Sorry to be nosey, but why does it run into a pool ?

My pool needs a little push outside of the hot season for me to avoid 'blue balls syndrome' when I excercise everyday. :D

It doesn't really get that cold, but I like to keep it at 'therapeutic pool' temps of 85-90+, otherwise I sometimes get a leg cramp if it's cooler..

Good idea, I used to take my second shower at about 4pm so that all the water in the pipes was nicely heated. We pondered the idea of sticking old wall radiators on the roofs to provide free hot water.

But then where do you get radiators in LoS?!?!??!?!

Edited by booma

Ajarn - you're my hero - I love doing stuff like that. I always used to at home, but have no tools/money/property here. What's in that system? just black pipes? And is that you in the picture.

When I was in New Zealand years ago on meditation retreat I had a solar water bag. Clear plastic on the front, and black plastic on the back. just put it in the sun for an hour and you had a hot shower.

http://freeenergynews.com/index.html

this site has lots of interesting stuff. I visit it almost daily - there are lots of bizaare things too, but often real gems, and good links to other sites too.

Great website... Reminds me of Mother Jones Magazine back in the 60's and 70's with all the 'appropriate technology' stuff like composting toilets... :D

During part of that period, I lived in a motorhome I'd built from a bread truck, and my shower was the same black bag, which worked great.

No, that's not me. I wish I was that handsome. That's my good friend and handyman, Prathom :D

The system is very basic, and I designed it myself (Prathom and another worker did the hard stuff,- like everything else :o )... Just 3/4 pvc painted black, inside of a wood frame with aluminum foil as a backing to reflect the sun and store more heat inside the sealed frame..

Here's a clearer shot of the inside..

solar2222.jpg

I'm off to NZ in 2 months, I'm going to make one of those. Its not so hot as Thailand and you need hot water. I guess that using bigger pipes means you don't need a pump to take the hot water down into the tank. Just fit a smallish tank and let it gravity feed as you use it.

Pretty easy to make for yourself but i wouldn't use plastic . Plastic get's weak at temp. of 70/80 °c and after let's say 1to 3 years the plastic gets so brittle (correct word ??? ) that you more than probably will get leakage . Use iron ( galvanised ) or copper instead , maybe more expensive , but copper pipes are easily bend to the right curves . In Thailand you wouldn't need to make it like in Europe ( between glass and a black backside , and the pipes black also ) , just get like 50 or 100 meters bended in a small shape on your roof with a small pump to go into the reservoir . Watch out because the water can start to boil ... you don't want that to happen . This thing , probably can safe you quite a bit of electricity because the basic pass through heaters , allthough only used for 5 to 30 min a day use a whole lot of electricity .

SBK

Sorry, other topic. Did you see some solar panels in Thailand to produce electricity.

SBK

Sorry, other topic. Did you see some solar panels in Thailand to produce electricity.

hi these panels are called "photo-VOLTaic cells" they are individual panels all linked together

each one produces about 1.5 volts providing the sun is shining on them,whan a whole lot are linked-electrically together, the "array"usually produces 24volts,this is ok for lights and anything that can run on 24volts (tv /radio,but not any big appliances eg:aircon or anything that needs a lot of power

there is normally2 or more batterys to store the electricity, so that you can use it at night pvcells only have limited use in a small installation.

if you were to link lots of p /v /cells together and get a shed load of batterys

you could then get an "inverter" this will turn a low voltage into a high voltage eg:24v into 110 or240 volts

but the system will cost lots of bht! but with a big enough system you could run a house on it ,but it depends on how sunny it is!!(one guy in los uses fork lift truck batterys and an inverter very successfully)

Edited by andy50

Pretty easy to make for yourself but i wouldn't use plastic . Plastic get's weak at temp. of 70/80 °c and after let's say 1to 3 years the plastic gets so brittle (correct word ??? ) that you more than probably will get leakage . Use iron ( galvanised ) or copper instead , maybe more expensive , but copper pipes are easily bend to the right curves . In Thailand you wouldn't need to make it like in Europe ( between glass and a black backside , and the pipes black also ) , just get like 50 or 100 meters bended in a small shape on your roof with a small pump to go into the reservoir . Watch out because the water can start to boil ... you don't want that to happen . This thing , probably can safe you quite a bit of electricity because the basic pass through heaters , allthough only used for 5 to 30 min a day use a whole lot of electricity .

My first solar water heater was plastic, made in Australia. It lasted 20 years before it started cracking and leaking a bit. I repaired it for a while and then decided to build my own. The black plastic pipe I used is designed to be outdoors. I've got some that's been out since 1980 and shows no signs of degrading.

I think the secret of this design is that there is no water pressure at all. The water is supplied from a small tank with a float valve. Water flows into the bottom of the manifold and out the top. Of course, it must be a couple of meters above your shower in order to get decent pressure at the shower head.

Enclosing the manifold in an insulated box with a clear plastic cover will keep the water hotter overnight.

I was actually looking for a self contained unit suitable to install on a small tower. I already have a PVC 500 liter tank on a tower. That is a quick and dirty way to collect heat from the sun but it cools overnight. The self contained unit was insulated and the water temperature was quite consistent around the clock. The Thais use a black mesh cloth to protect certain plants and if you use that same black mesh cloth draped over your water tank the water will get pretty warm in the sun. Totally passive systems are better than nothing.

SBK

hi these panels are called "photo-VOLTaic cells" they are individual panels all linked together

each one produces about 1.5 volts providing the sun is shining on them,whan a whole lot are linked-electrically together, the "array"usually produces 24volts,this is ok for lights and anything that can run on 24volts (tv /radio,but not any big appliances eg:aircon or anything that needs a lot of power

there is normally2 or more batterys to store the electricity, so that you can use it at night pvcells only have limited use in a small installation.

if you were to link lots of p /v /cells together and get a shed load of batterys

you could then get an "inverter" this will turn a low voltage into a high voltage eg:24v into 110 or240 volts

but the system will cost lots of bht! but with a big enough system you could run a house on it ,but it depends on how sunny it is!!(one guy in los uses fork lift truck batterys and an inverter very successfully)

Andy

Thanks a lot for your advice. :o Sheding a lot of batteries could be the solution to overcome peak demands like I have. I have 7000 bt monthly electricity bills mainly from water pumps, swimming pool pumps, refrigerators. I have 250 m2 roof which would be ideal for these p/v cells. I will try to find a supplier.

PS: could you give me the contact of this guy using forklift batteries. Thanks again.

My little bit of advice, be willing to pay money for a good inverter. Otherwise you can possibly do damage your domestic appliances.

I am going to get really technical here.

Ceaper inverters do not produce "sine" wave, rather a "Modified square wave". For most devices, this is normally not a problem, however it can play havoc with domestic appliances with a microprocessor fitted.

I found this out the hard way in Australia, with a big bank of 2v batteries and what we thought was a "Good" inverter.

Roiet,

If you can't find a dealer for houses, the marine industry might also be a way to get ideas. Sailboats often employ these kinds of systems, P.V.-cells, Batteries, inverters to produce electricity. Maybe you could get some contacts that way.

Jim :o

I was actually looking for a self contained unit suitable to install on a small tower. I already have a PVC 500 liter tank on a tower. That is a quick and dirty way to collect heat from the sun but it cools overnight. The self contained unit was insulated and the water temperature was quite consistent around the clock. The Thais use a black mesh cloth to protect certain plants and if you use that same black mesh cloth draped over your water tank the water will get pretty warm in the sun. Totally passive systems are better than nothing.

I was going to do something similar by just painting a water tank black but was told that germs would thrive in the heated water and cause eye infections etc, anybody know of this?

Listen to Mattnich's advise.

He is absolutely correct.

Some appliances will not run.

Not sure about a computer thou,  how does a UPS work ?

hi thetym, a ups or "uninterruptable power supply"is an electronic unit that has an inverter and rechargable batterys inside ,it is on all the time ,and "accompanys" the main electrical supply

if there is a power outage the ups carrys on the supply as if nothing had happened

they are mostly used for essential equipment like the tills in supermarkets /computers/,cash machines (atm,s) etc

I had never considered bacteria problems. Due to the fact that 500 liters is not a lot of water it is used up pretty fast. The water used to refill the tank splashes down from the inlet in the top of the tank so it is aerated naturally. Painting the tank flat black may be better than the black mesh cloth but the cloth is cheap and easy. All in all it is better than nothing.

I was also interested in photo voltaic cells but lost interest when I found out how much they cost. Since my electric bill is less than 400 baht a month there is not a lot of incentive. My on demand electric hot water shower uses very little because of the warm water from the tower tank.

I was going to do something similar by just painting a water tank black but was told that germs would thrive in the heated water and cause eye infections etc, anybody know of this?

Hi fellow Thaivizians,

I just wanted to comment that I had never experienced the slightest skin or health ailment while using hot water generated by a black barrel for over 3 years, while a consultant for UNHCR in the Sudan during the 80’s Ethiopian Emergency.

I had set up 2 fuel barrels on the roof of a mud brick shower stall after carefully setting the empty barrels alight to remove residue. I painted one black but because the water became too hot I had to add a second one painted white and interconnect them. Water, when available, was trucked in from questionable sources by the local Sudanese officials. Worked like dream for my tenure.

I also wish to thank you all for your insightful comments regarding the many daily issues we face. I particularly wish to thank Ajarn for his insight, not just here but throughout the breadth of the forum. I had seen the picture of his pool and secretly wished to know the steps in his designing his own solar heater; by luck I chanced across just that here today. Thanks Ajarn - a step by step pictorial would be nice…hint hint. Thanks Ajarn for you considerate nature or ‘nam jai’. How you designed your pool, especially the construction steps, like plumbing pipes, would be a nice read. I’ve noted your recommended electrician. Again thanks.

I am in the midst of having house plans drawn up for my ‘retirement’ home. I envisage a resort-like atmosphere so every day at home will be like a vacation. Trouble is, my grandiose vision is based on a cottage-like income; thus my interest in reading your solutions. The Australian-designed solar heater ‘Solarhart’ model 302J 9 (300 L) advertised in our local house décor magazine, ’Chiangmai@Home’, by http://www.praneephan.com/ was quoted at 128,000 B plus 6000 installation. The 180 L model was less. Both too expensive I thought, especially now having seen your creative DIY solutions. As Always…Tango

By the way Ajarn: re ‘Reminds me of Mother Jones Magazine’; did you mean ‘Mother Earth’ at

http://www.motherearthnews.com/

which is simply great. And why not try this, too:

http://www.backwoodshome.com/ . Enjoy!

For a professional approach try

Elgan Voightmann

Siam Green Power

tel 02-392-4926

email [email protected]

or if you're upcountry then

Thai-German Solar at

Solar Solution

043-449499

[email protected]

They are in Khon Kaen

When I had a large bungalow built here I had two solar panels fitted on the roof with a large insulated tank in the roof space. Cost 55,000 two years ago. Mixer taps in bathrooms and kitchen. You need half and half with cold water in winter and 25% 75% hot/cold in summer. I can recommend it. (But my wife still fills a large bowl from it and splashes it over herself with a basin ! )

Lung Bing

Khon Kaen

• 1 year later...
For a professional approach try

Elgan Voightmann

Siam Green Power

tel 02-392-4926

email [email protected]

or if you're upcountry then

Thai-German Solar at

Solar Solution

043-449499

[email protected]

They are in Khon Kaen

When I had a large bungalow built here I had two solar panels fitted on the roof with a large insulated tank in the roof space. Cost 55,000 two years ago. Mixer taps in bathrooms and kitchen. You need half and half with cold water in winter and 25% 75% hot/cold in summer. I can recommend it. (But my wife still fills a large bowl from it and splashes it over herself with a basin ! )

Lung Bing

Khon Kaen

Always interesting to read about this man. In germany he was a criminal cheat. He took money from his customers to pay the parts, but in reality he doesn't has paid them. The traders have had the trouble for nothing, because he was said to be bankrupt. We are sure that in reality he spared the money to disengage and now we see: He is in thailand ! Good job !!

• 1 month later...

Using plastic solar heating elements for domestic water consumtion can be a bit 'iffy'. The water can absorb some chemicals from the plastic & therefore may have detrimental affects upon the human.

Large water storage tanks (over 1000 Litres for a single domestic installation) should be drained & cleaned annually.

The best & safest solar hat water system utilises copper tubing in a glass casing. See Solarhart or Rheem, Australia.