Anybody Up To Translate A Thai Tatoo For Me Please...

jcmiro

Incredible! Since you know this woman, why don't you just ask her what the tattoo means?

What makes you think she is capable of telling him, even if she wanted to. Most I know have such inadequate English that they could not go into any detail about the particulars of such.

If you tilt your head to the right and read her shoulder, it looks a bit like sanskrit.

Sanskrit is a language written using many scripts, including Devanagari script.

Devanagari is used to write many languages -- Hindi, Nepali, Sanskrit, and at least a dozen more.

So if it is in fact Devanagari, then perhaps someone who can read it (like Stujay) can say what language it is, or perhaps translate it.

You might want to ask Spencer at sak-yant.com, he is pretty knowledgable about that.

I have yant (the sacred tattoo) on me, and the khom/ancient khmer looks similar, though hers appears more stylish.

Most likely it's a form of blessing and/or protection, however do ask Spencer and he will probably be able to translate it for you.

If you tilt your head to the right and read her shoulder, it looks a bit like sanskrit.

Devanagari is used to write many languages -- Hindi, Nepali, Sanskrit, and at least a dozen more.

So if it is in fact Devanagari, then perhaps someone who can read it (like Stujay) can say what language it is, or perhaps translate it.

Ahhh, thanks for that. I have read so many references to sanskrit that it seemed that it was the script as well as the language, eg when referring to a "sanskrit inscription" on a wall or on a river bed near Angkor Wat.

Ahhh, thanks for that. I have read so many references to sanskrit that it seemed that it was the script as well as the language, eg when referring to a "sanskrit inscription" on a wall or on a river bed near Angkor Wat.

Ahhh, Working on the assumption that Rikker is correct, there is no Sanscrit script. My understanding is that an inscription represents the words and can be done using any symbols.

From here:

Sanskrit was spoken in an oral society, and the oral tradition was maintained through the development of early classical Sanskrit literature.[26] Writing was not introduced to India until after Sanskrit had evolved into the Prakrits; when it was written, the choice of writing system was influenced by the regional scripts of the scribes. As such, virtually all of the major writing systems of South Asia have been used for the production of Sanskrit manuscripts. Since the late 19th century, Devanagari has been considered as the de facto writing system for Sanskrit,[27] quite possibly because of the European practice of printing Sanskrit texts in this script. Devanagari is written from left to right, lacks distinct letter cases, and is recognizable by a distinctive horizontal line running along the tops of the letters that links them together.

From here:

Sanskrit was spoken in an oral society, and the oral tradition was maintained through the development of early classical Sanskrit literature.[26] Writing was not introduced to India until after Sanskrit had evolved into the Prakrits; when it was written, the choice of writing system was influenced by the regional scripts of the scribes. As such, virtually all of the major writing systems of South Asia have been used for the production of Sanskrit manuscripts. Since the late 19th century, Devanagari has been considered as the de facto writing system for Sanskrit,[27] quite possibly because of the European practice of printing Sanskrit texts in this script. Devanagari is written from left to right, lacks distinct letter cases, and is recognizable by a distinctive horizontal line running along the tops of the letters that links them together.

Thanks Rikker and Philo...... this is why I love this forum: so many knowledgable people willing to share.

• 1 year later...