Suvarnabhumi Plans Second Terminal

george

Suvarnabhumi starts second terminal in 2012

BANGKOK: -- Airports of Thailand plans to build a domestic passenger terminal at Suvarnabhumi Airport while inviting the private sector to invest in six projects at the old Don Mueang Airport.

Construction of the new terminal will start in 2012 for completion in 2015, to accommodate an additional 20 million passengers a year.

It will cost less than Bt10 billion, said AOT president Serirat Prasutanond. The project is part of a long-term investment programme that includes construction of a third runway and a midfield terminal.

However, the company will build the domestic terminal first. It will be connected to the present main terminal by a monorail.

Serirat said the company also planned to develop commercial areas on its land near the airport, in partnership with the private sector.

Regarding Don Mueang Airport, six projects will be offered to the private sector: a landing-gear maintenance centre, an aircraft-parts stock-management centre, small and medium-sized maintenance centres, an international free-trade zone, a flight-simulator centre and jet and air taxi terminals.

"All the projects will be funded by private firms, and some companies are being approached," said Serirat.

AOT also unveiled a five-year plan for the expansion of Phuket Airport starting from this year, involving construction of a new runway and expansion of the terminal and other facilities and services.

Speaking at a seminar yesterday entitled "The Path to Be a Regional Hub", organised by AOT, Serirat also said the agency would try to assure Suvarnabhumi Airport's status among the world's top 10 airports despite being affected by the forced closure late last year.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009-08-29

"Regarding Don Mueang Airport, six projects will be offered to the private sector: a landing-gear maintenance centre, an aircraft-parts stock-management centre, small and medium-sized maintenance centres, an international free-trade zone, a flight-simulator centre and jet and air taxi terminals"

I think best location for those activities is at U-Tapao airport where it has eastern seaport near-by.

The new terminal and third runway was the real objective of Poom Jai Thai in relocating airlilnes back from Don Muang, which Abhisit was too weak to prevent. The new terminal and third runway could have been postponed for quite a long time without the second move, i.e. beyond the time they could be fairly sure to control the Transport Ministry. They plan to rake in a huge amount of cash from the construction projects. This expansion will be the last for Suvarnabhumi because the land originally planned for the fourth and fifth runways were allocated to a fuel pipeline and a building project. So eventually Suvarnapoom which is already up to full capacity after only 3 years in operation will have to go the same way as Don Muang. No hope for this country that is riddled with cancerous corruption and with passive citizens who tolerate it and admire the criminals who rip them off.

Edited by Arkady

No hope for this country that is riddled with cancerous corruption and with passive citizens who tolerate it and admire the criminals who rip them off.

That just about sums it up. Having just been through Hong Kong again there is absolutely no chance that Swampy Airport will ever be anything more than a hub of corruption. It's arguably the worst airport in SE Asia and nowhere near world class.

Suvarnabhumi Airport is a piece of sh*t, it is was created to be one of those things that thai people wanted to show off and full of corruptions.They can't stick with basic airport or create basic functional one. They forgot after the closure of the airport due to protests, other countries in the region started to upgrade their airports. Simply, they don't want to depend on thailand as a major airport hub. I think that thailand is just throwing money away.

btw, why do people call it "Swampy Airport " anyway? i know the name is hella hard to pronounce, hel_l i rather call it new bangkok airport. Thai people don't understand the airport should be name so that it is easy to read and short, sigh.....

Edited by majorpacman

"Regarding Don Mueang Airport, six projects will be offered to the private sector: a landing-gear maintenance centre, an aircraft-parts stock-management centre, small and medium-sized maintenance centres, an international free-trade zone, a flight-simulator centre and jet and air taxi terminals"

I think best location for those activities is at U-Tapao airport where it has eastern seaport near-by.

I could not agree more since Thai already has the overhaul facility and most of the old air base is slowly being relcaimed by thge jungle.

Did they mention a reputable company to run the concessions? :)

Probably King Power so they can fleece more tourists.

How long it stays under 10 million THB depends on long and how little the extended hands are willing to accept.

I doubt that it will assure their status as one of the top airports in the word, but they're on the "Path to BE A Regional Hub."

Regional to what extent? Like Singapore, Hong Kong? They are hubs and from an Asian perspective, they are regional. But regional rather means usually something else.

did i miss something the last couple of months / years ?

was i in an artificial coma ?

did the economy suddenly recover ?

does thailand think that people still want to come here after all the events ?

do farang people stop flying out of windows ?

do you not get robbed (fysical, taxi touts, double pricing, ... ) or ripped at the airport when you leave ?

btw, why do people call it "Swampy Airport " anyway? i know the name is hella hard to pronounce, hel_l i rather call it new bangkok airport. Thai people don't understand the airport should be name so that it is easy to read and short, sigh.....

Double sigh...English speaking people can't understand that more than half the world can't speak English. So what if it is called Suvarnabhumi or Tullamarine or Kingsford Smith or John F Kennedy or La Guardia (which sounds like a parasite that gives you food poisoning). If you can't manage a 4 syllable word or name like Suvarnabhumi, then by all means use the name of the capital city as you suggest. It certainly is not a reflection that "Thai people don't understand the airport should be name so that it is easy to read" but more a reflection of your inability to pronounce 4 syllable words.

AFAIK, it was built on an area of land whose name translated in English to "Cobra Swamp".

If the name can be changed from Si am to Thai Land

then

an easier name can be found for the airport.

If the airport is about inbound and outbound flights, generally going overseas, then there should be some thought to the inbound and outbound fliers being able to read and pronounce the name easily.

Or, at least a better transliteration of the name could have been found.

Su van a boom or otherwise

The skytrain in Bangkok, generally for use by Thai people is called "BTS", not using some Thai letters.

The list is extensive. An easier name could have easily been found.

An attempt to change the Thai writing system to use the Roman script was attempted in the "30's" or thereabouts, but the final decision was that with most words being so short, and with so many Thai words being spelled the same way in the Roman script, (the Thai language having a few letters for S, T, etc.) that it could not be accomplished.

The idea came about as some people in government wanted to open Thailand to the rest of the world, most notably open Thailand to foreign ideas. This would also help Thais as they would then be able to more readily learn English. This idea was strongly resisted by many people in power as they wanted to keep the populace closed off to foreign ideas, and wanted the populace to know only of what the powerful in government wanted them to learn.

Anyway, a better name could have been found with a little effort.

Double sigh...English speaking people can't understand that more than half the world can't speak English. So what if it is called Suvarnabhumi or Tullamarine or Kingsford Smith or John F Kennedy or La Guardia (which sounds like a parasite that gives you food poisoning). If you can't manage a 4 syllable word or name like Suvarnabhumi, then by all means use the name of the capital city as you suggest. It certainly is not a reflection that "Thai people don't understand the airport should be name so that it is easy to read" but more a reflection of your inability to pronounce 4 syllable words.

some can't pronounce it...

and others can't count Su-var-na-bhu-mi :)

cheers mate, no offense intended :D

I doubt that it will assure their status as one of the top airports in the word, but they're on the "Path to BE A Regional Hub."

Well they are already the the laughing stock of the world now so I guess that's one achievement of note.

And they gotta be magicians if they can think that they can build anything for a quarter if million dollars.

Changi currently has four terminals one a budget, and the terminals 1, 2 & 3 with terminal 4 in the planning stage.

So in so far as "but they're on the "Path to BE A Regional Hub" you have either got to be a Thai or come from cuckoo land.

Edited by john b good

The problem is in the transliteration. if the existing name was spelled closer to the pronunciation i personally feel that most of the confusion would cease.

If the name can be changed from Si am to Thai Land

then

an easier name can be found for the airport.

If the airport is about inbound and outbound flights, generally going overseas, then there should be some thought to the inbound and outbound fliers being able to read and pronounce the name easily.

Or, at least a better transliteration of the name could have been found.

Su van a boom or otherwise

The skytrain in Bangkok, generally for use by Thai people is called "BTS", not using some Thai letters.

The list is extensive. An easier name could have easily been found.

An attempt to change the Thai writing system to use the Roman script was attempted in the "30's" or thereabouts, but the final decision was that with most words being so short, and with so many Thai words being spelled the same way in the Roman script, (the Thai language having a few letters for S, T, etc.) that it could not be accomplished.

The idea came about as some people in government wanted to open Thailand to the rest of the world, most notably open Thailand to foreign ideas. This would also help Thais as they would then be able to more readily learn English. This idea was strongly resisted by many people in power as they wanted to keep the populace closed off to foreign ideas, and wanted the populace to know only of what the powerful in government wanted them to learn.

Anyway, a better name could have been found with a little effort.

Well they are already the the laughing stock of the world now so I guess that's one achievement of note.

And they gotta be magicians if they can think that they can build anything for a quarter if million dollars.

Changi currently has four terminals one a budget, and the terminals 1, 2 & 3 with terminal 4 in the planning stage.

So in so far as "but they're on the "Path to BE A Regional Hub" you have either got to be a Thai or come from cuckoo land.

What type of maths do you use that makes 10 billion THB equal 250,000 dollars? You would have to be a magician to achieve that sort of exchange rate.

According to my currency converter it's a little closer to 293,944,738 USD. You're only out by a factor of one thousand.

Didn't you start at the beginning of the topic?

some can't pronounce it...

and others can't count Su-var-na-bhu-mi :)

cheers mate, no offense intended :D

Clonetom, as you say "some can't pronounce it" that obviously includes you!

doggie88888 is right - 4 syllables-

Su-wan-na-poom

Su-wan-na-poom

:D with that transliteration, nobody's gonna get it straight...

not now, not in 10 yrs :)

cheers

Su-wan-na-poom

:D with that transliteration, nobody's gonna get it straight...

not now, not in 10 yrs :)

cheers

So just how do YOU pronounce it???