Uob Are Now Charging The Thb150 Atm Fee But...?

xenophanes

This is the authoritative thread for this subject:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Thai-Banks-S...25#entry2975460

According to that thread, AEON still doesn't charge the 150 bt. There seems to be some question about GSB and Ayuttaya but see the thread for more details. JFChandler and others have done a terrific service to us all by thoroughly evaluating ATM options for expats.

Sure hope AEON stays that way but I would assume they will also eventually slip into the dark side, but I understand they are not like the other Thailand banks so maybe not.

Edited by Lopburi99

AT THW MOMENT GOV SAVINGS BANK AND AYATAYA BANK ARE NOT CHARGING IN TAK

Bank of Ayutthaya is OF COURSE charging.

but maybe your "AYA TAYA" is something completely different I have never heard of :)

for all still wanting to avoid the Thai-bank-fee rip-off, find ur ATMs without charges HERE:

http://www.aeonthailand.com/lang/en/menu/S...m#branchATMForm

Are they charging the fee without declaring it? I withdrew a few days ago in CM and the slip showed "fee zero". I haven't had chance to check my statement yet, so I don't know if the fee has been added by stealth.

Are they charging the fee without declaring it? I withdrew a few days ago in CM and the slip showed "fee zero". I haven't had chance to check my statement yet, so I don't know if the fee has been added by stealth.

in Bangkok they tell you about the fee on the screen b4 completing the transaction.

I withdrew cash from the UOB next to Makro and was charged 150 Baht. The first thing I noticed was the new software. I tried again at the branch on Thanon Huay Kaew and same thing - 150 Baht charge - declared.

After trying unsuccessfully a couple of times using my USA Citibank ATM/MasterCard and my European Maestro Card to withdraw cash at Government Savings Bank, I found out last night that you can only use a Visa card at Government Savings Bank to withdraw cash and avoid the 150 Baht fee. That is pretty stupid I think. What other countries use Visa as ATM cards anyway? Other than Thailand of course.

These Dark Forces in the Thai Banking system sure is the one way of making tourists and international business and investment .......AVOID the Country......crazy init. :)

....buddy can you spare a s"tang.......

• 3 weeks later...
Hate to ask, but are there now no hold outs left? Do all Thai ATMs now charge the farang fee? Thanks to anyone who can tell me if there are any 150B charge free ATM machines left.

Sigh. I used to love it here. :)

PS I'll try Aeon and report back.

Aeon was still free (as of Tuesday the 22nd).

Used Bank of Ayyutaya ATM a few times this week and there is no warning (as with other ATMs) of the 150 baht charge just before you confirm the withdrawal, so would assume (naively perhaps?) that there is no charge.

Tried UOB this week and it is definitely charging.

Hate to ask, but are there now no hold outs left? Do all Thai ATMs now charge the farang fee? Thanks to anyone who can tell me if there are any 150B charge free ATM machines left.

no charge this afternoon ,although the gsb is showing a communication error on their atms ,this happens from time to time ,seems to right itself then pays out again no charges a few days later.

no charge this afternoon ,although the gsb is showing a communication error on their atms ,this happens from time to time ,seems to right itself then pays out again no charges a few days later.

AEON is free of surcharge and you can take x40 notes in one go if your home bank allows it

the exchange rate is not stealthily massaged either to get the fee from you.

• 2 weeks later...

Darn...Government Bank just joined the "Dark Side". The last time I took money out they were free. Today -- 150 Baht. I'll have to try Aeon next. Looks like they are about the only ones left.

Darn...Government Bank just joined the "Dark Side". The last time I took money out they were free. Today -- 150 Baht. I'll have to try Aeon next. Looks like they are about the only ones left.

Can anybody else confirm this about the Government Savings Bank charging now? Everytime I have tried using their ATMs, it never works, just spits out the card mid-transaction for no apparent reason. I just read on here that it only accepts Visa credit cards??? Can anybody also confirm this?

I am in Chiang Mai and as far as I can see there are no convenient Aeon ATMs without having to go to Central and head up to the 3rd floor, etc, or head way out to Makro on the superhighway. Its just not worth all that to save 150b for me. Am I missing any convenient no charge ATMs in CM?

Edited by blakegeee

Can anybody else confirm this about the Government Savings Bank charging now? Everytime I have tried using their ATMs, it never works, just spits out the card mid-transaction for no apparent reason. I just read on here that it only accepts Visa credit cards??? Can anybody also confirm this?

I am in Chiang Mai and as far as I can see there are no convenient Aeon ATMs without having to go to Central and head up to the 3rd floor, etc, or head way out to Makro on the superhighway. Its just not worth all that to save 150b for me. Am I missing any convenient no charge ATMs in CM?

GSB now charges the 150b fee.

GSB only accepts VISA

Aeon is the only fee free ATM machine game in town. There are no Aeon within the old city, they are located near and around the super highway ring.

Life's a beach. :)