Moving Question

afx

Hi,

I'm moving to Phuket in a couple of weeks for about 9 months to a year. If I send a box via DHL from the UK to Phuket containing various bits and pieces will I have to pay any kind of import duty ?

These aren't high value items and are used, (it's just stuff I dont want to buy again) eg. TFT screen, snorkel mask, fins and some other computer accessories.

Hi,

I'm moving to Phuket in a couple of weeks for about 9 months to a year. If I send a box via DHL from the UK to Phuket containing various bits and pieces will I have to pay any kind of import duty ?

These aren't high value items and are used, (it's just stuff I dont want to buy again) eg. TFT screen, snorkel mask, fins and some other computer accessories.

I dont know whether I've asked the biggest dumb ass question and there' sno issue or whether 105 people dont know the answer ?

The import rules are complex and open to interpretation by the individual Thai customs officer. In theory second hand personal items should not attract tax but I've heard a lot of horror stories about high tax demands before releasing imported goods. Best you talk to DHL as they are the ones to process the import paperwork.

Unless you're on a B visa, you are subject to duty.  How much and if you have to pay is another story, but I'd say you're probably going to have to pay something depending on how much the customs people think your stuff is worth.  Do a search of TV and you'll see a lot of info about this.

Hi,

I dont know whether I've asked the biggest dumb ass question and there' sno issue or whether 105 people dont know the answer ?

Like a lottery. You may get lucky or they may ask you for.........6000 baht.................. to not return it :)

As others are saying its a lottery..

Tax is probably due, even on second hand items.. They will also gauge how much you want them (or if they look shiny and valuable) and ransom them back to you based on that..

I would look at an excess baggage shipper.. Or simply upgrade your ticket with a 'sports equipment' upgrade.

Great, thanks for all the advice.

Steelpulse,

I've got a none immigrant type "O" visa, not "B", so maybe means Ill be liable ?

Might have a "loophole" for you in that case...............

Is the O visa because you have a Thai partner?

If so, you could ship it in their name, and it'll create much less hassle at this end. We shipped a lot of stuff from England (through Pickfords, though) in my wife's name, and if Customs see it is being shipped by a Thai back to Thailand, they may well just give it a body swerve. And even if they don't, the "Duty" will be less.

Edited by Lannatyne

Might have a "loophole" for you in that case...............

Is the O visa because you have a Thai partner?

If so, you could ship it in their name, and it'll create much less hassle at this end. We shipped a lot of stuff from England (through Pickfords, though) in my wife's name, and if Customs see it is being shipped by a Thai back to Thailand, they may well just give it a body swerve. And even if they don't, the "Duty" will be less.

No I don't have a thai partner, just got a 3 entry "O" visa so I'd have fewer visa runs to do.

Coming here to work on a  "B" visa is what the supposed tax exemption allows for.  This is completely different than an "O", so be prepared to pay.  Try to make things look old,  grubby and as worthless as possible.  Also perhaps if you know someone here that knows a shipping agent, might be worth it to get them involved to lower your duty.  Off course they will then need to be paid also.

Unless you're on a B visa, you are subject to duty. How much and if you have to pay is another story, but I'd say you're probably going to have to pay something depending on how much the customs people think your stuff is worth. Do a search of TV and you'll see a lot of info about this.

I am on a B visa, even showed them the dam_n thing, they still charged duty... If you are only going to be here a year, only bring what you have to. The shipping fee here, shipping fee back home in a year, and duty if charged will end up being more than what most the stuff is probably worth.

It's all about attitude. I am not sure how much stuff you are bringing in, but my advice would be to walk right through like you own the place and don't give a shit.

If you are Caucasian, you could probably sneak an elephant through customs if you just acted like it was nothing.

On a more serious note, if you really need to bring in that much stuff, you might consider inviting [or coercing] friends to come along and help you mule the stuff in - it would probably be cheaper than if Customs stick their hooks in you, even if you paid for your friends air tickets.

End of the day, all you really need here are a few changes of clothes and an ATM with an account to suck off...

Good luck and please do let us know how it works out.

LivinLos,

Definatley had to specify number of entries on the form (three being the max) and this is definately a non immigrant type "o" visa and not a tourist visa, I'm looking at the stamp right now in my passport. Maybe it is multiple entry but had to pick 1, 2 or 3 on the form.

Just read it again and it states "multiple", good to know as I thought I only had 3, glad you mnetioned it!

Edited by afx

Definatley had to specify number of entries on the form (three being the max) and this is definately a non immigrant type "o" visa and not a tourist visa, I'm looking at the stamp right now in my passport. Maybe it is multiple entry but had to pick 1, 2 or 3 on the form.

Just read it again and it states "multiple", good to know as I thought I only had 3, glad you mnetioned it!

Yes on the form it says how many entries.. And if its a non imm the answer is 'multiple' or ME.. Thats what you should put in there.

They issued you a multiple entry visa, you can come and go daily 364 times if you like, so restriction only the date.

• 3 weeks later...

Just thought I'd post an update in case it's of any help for people wanting to send stuff from the UK.

I used parcels2go (just google for them) who in turn used Fedex.

I sent a 17 KG box, that got to Phuket in 5 days costing £115 and there was nothing to pay at Phuket. I just sent it to my friends house and listed the contents saying the value was 100 quid, but would really have been a grand to buy again.

i wonder if would have been cheaper just to pay for excess baggage

Much more expensive, £35 per kilo, and I sent 17 Kilo's by Fedex. I suppose it differs from airline to airline, but flying with Emirates I was allowed one case with 30 KG's max, which I made sure it did weigh ;-).

You rolled the dice and came out a winner. It's always a guessing game as I have many packages shipped and sometimes they demand a ransom...err tax, and sometimes they don't.

Yeah got lucky I suppose, maybe shipping to a friend who's lived on the island 14 years helped, I don't know.