Skype Doubles Connection Fees For Some International Calls

thaimite

Starting on September 6, Skype is doubling its connection fee for calls to most countries from 3.9 cents to 7.9 cents. The connection fee remains 3.9 cents for calls to so-called Global Rate Countries, a selection of countries that includes Germany, the U.K. and the United States. Calls to those countries cost 2.1 cents per minute after the first minute, which will cost 6 cents in total.

More at

http://www.wired.com/epicenter/2009/08/sky...national-calls/

Ebay is selling 65% of Skype to a private equity group. I'd say expect further creep up in pricing.

http://news.ebay.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=406368

San Jose, Calif. - September 1, 2009 – eBay Inc. (NASDAQ: EBAY) today announced it has signed a definitive agreement to sell its Skype communications unit in a deal valuing the business at $2.75 billion. The buyer, who will control an approximately 65 percent stake, is an investor group led by Silver Lake and includes Index Ventures, Andreessen Horowitz and the Canada Pension Plan (CPP) Investment Board. eBay is expected to receive approximately $1.9 billion in cash upon the completion of the sale and a note from the buyer in the principal amount of $125 million. The company will retain an approximately 35 percent equity investment in Skype. The transaction, which is not subject to a financing condition, is expected to close in the fourth quarter of 2009.

"This is a great deal, unlocking both immediate and long-term value for eBay and tremendous potential for Skype," said eBay Inc. President and CEO John Donahoe. "We've acted decisively on a deal that delivers a high valuation, gives us significant cash up-front and lets us retain a meaningful minority stake with talented partners. Skype is a strong standalone business, but it does not have synergies with our e-commerce and online payments businesses. As a separate company, we believe that Skype will have the focus required to compete effectively in online voice and video communications and accelerate its growth momentum."

Try Yahoo has no connection fees and calls are less expensive.

I might just. Any other recommendations?

I guess the only problem is Yahoo Messenger, which is a very annoying piece of software....

Edited by nikster

FWIW, I'm using the flat-rate $5.95/mo. unlimited calls to Thailand package right now. I can call any Thai phone (incl mobiles) and talk as long as I want. Pays for itself within days (in savings on cell-phone connections).

For example, I instruct my TGF to ring me, then hang up. After looking to see that it was her, (and provided I am home at the time, which is often) I call her back using Skype instead of my mobile. She can talk all she wants (and you know how women love to talk, talk, talk...) and still keep her phone topped up. Saves a bundle over time for both of us.

Check it out.

Edited by ballzafire