What Is The Current Best Value For Money Internet?

MaiDong

I want to upgrade from my sloooow 2mb connection and I would ideally want to get a new phone line and move completely away from TOT so I was wondering what the best deals are at the moment?

I have phoned around various companies but am being told a lot of misinformation compared to posters I've seen around Bangkok

Here's what I want:

telephone line

minimum 4mb internet connection

Hope someone can guide me in the right direction!

Edited by MaiDong

I keep on seeing installation charges for phone lines for B3800+ Is this correct??? Oh my goodness, that's incredibly expensive!!!

Do not ask them for a deal. Tell them you are going to buy when they OFFER you <expected deal>.

I got True ADSL without having to buy the telephone line, free modem, free upgrade of speed and SME range of IP's (normally a bit better overall Internet speeds). I also did not have to have another True service to get the cheaper prices.

Overall True seems alright and is incredibly much better than TOT. I get about 88% of my rated speeds.

I keep on seeing installation charges for phone lines for B3800+ Is this correct??? Oh my goodness, that's incredibly expensive!!!

Do not ask them for a deal. Tell them you are going to buy when they OFFER you <expected deal>.

I got True ADSL without having to buy the telephone line, free modem, free upgrade of speed and SME range of IP's (normally a bit better overall Internet speeds). I also did not have to have another True service to get the cheaper prices.

Overall True seems alright and is incredibly much better than TOT. I get about 88% of my rated speeds.

How did you get away with a free phone line when their prices are B3800+??

I guess it really depends on how much effort you want to put in telling sales people that you'll buy at <expected deal>.

Sooner or later you'll find someone willing to offer you what you asked for.

It is, however, a game of diminishing returns though. I mean, how far are you willing to go for 3,800 Baht?

I guess it really depends on how much effort you want to put in telling sales people that you'll buy at <expected deal>.

Sooner or later you'll find someone willing to offer you what you asked for.

It is, however, a game of diminishing returns though. I mean, how far are you willing to go for 3,800 Baht?

Quite far :)

B3800 is a lot of money for a phone line installation, especially in my current economic climate!

Maxnet 3b (10mg line) is offering free installation etc at the moment - the monthly price is 1490b - there are usually some banner adds for this service in the IT section - you might have to refresh the page a few times to get it tho :)

I went with True - they are not as bad as a lot of people say they are - in my experience - and are about to launch a 12mb service in the next few months. I paid 2400b for installation but then i am in a brand new house and they had to physically run the line from the junction box a couple of hundred meters away to my house and then climb around in the attic etc to wire it into the pre-wired telephone points in the house - so i didnt feel too bad about paying them for the installation :D

The only reason I looked at Maxnet is because I saw one of their adverts by the side of the road, I thought I read B490, not B1490!! :)

Anyhow, after calling them and selecting English language option 9 I had a very difficult conversation with a rep who spoke minimal English, she took my phone number and will ask someone with better English to call me back, I'm still open to other deals though.

I'll give True a call in a minute, I live in a townhouse so there shouldn't be any problems with running cables etc.

Just got off the phone with True and they have confirmed that they will install the phone & internet for free, they also mentioned that I can get a discount from B1199 to B990 on the 4MB package if I use True move, I suppose they mean if I use one of their sim cards regularly and receive thousands of mindless SMS alerts etc, anyhow, I'll need to visit a True kiosk with my partner so we can openly discuss the deals and terms as doing this on the phone can get mightily confusing! :)

Does anybody know if it's worth using the True Move discount? Perhaps the cost of using the sim will out-price the saving on the internet cost??...

200b a month discount vs the cost of a SIM - you decide :)

If its a pre-pay SIM - just buy it, maybe put 100b on it and then just forget about it

If its a post-pay SIM - just use it in place of your existing SIM and get the discount :D

I was fortuante, my Wife's cousin has a True SIM card, so we just gave her number - she will get the spam SMS's on our behalf :D

200b a month discount vs the cost of a SIM - you decide :)

If its a pre-pay SIM - just buy it, maybe put 100b on it and then just forget about it

If its a post-pay SIM - just use it in place of your existing SIM and get the discount :D

I was fortuante, my Wife's cousin has a True SIM card, so we just gave her number - she will get the spam SMS's on our behalf :D

hahahaha, wise move! We just got back from the True shop and we came away with the 4mb package for B990 p/m, free installation, wireless router, a true SIM(B49 pre-paid which we have to top up to B300 once, then at least B3 per month for the duration of the 12 month contract) so it was worth getting the sim, it'll be a saving of over B2000 per year, we'll use the True sim as a pool sim in the house just for taking calls, leaving the sound off obviously so we don't have to read those SMS's... :D

I will give the 4mb a go, I'm sure it'll be enough for us but if we ever need to upgrade it's only an extra B209(at the moment)

Engineer is arriving on Saturday apparently :D