Luxury On The Cheap...

petepete

I'm having to make a lot of investment in my business over the next three months, so I've decided in the interim to try and cut down my spending this coming month... I'm cutting my 'discretionary budget' down to 500THB a day - from 2,000THB - to include basically everything that isn't a utility...

I've got a live-in, self-supporting other-half, so lady-drinks and the like aren't a budgetary requirement... But what I'm really trying to achieve here is to cut down while not really reigning in the life of luxury - I think I can probably get very good value out of 500THB a day ... right?

For example:

- I know the food stall at the back of the food court near Sukhumvit Soi 1 has hands-down some of the best Thai food I've ever eaten, and costs ~150THB per person, if you go all-out

- Bacchus, on Ruam Rudee, does a 2-1 happy hour - house wine is 160THB a glass - so that's 100THB for a nice glass of wine if you're with a friend

- The bami-giaow-mu-daeng stall outside the 7-11, also on Ruam Rudee, does exceptional food, at 35THB a dish...

- Cheap Charlies has beer lao, is in walking distance of me, and is, as the name suggests, pretty cheap

- Instead of going to Sirocco for the view with visitors, you can just use the glass elevators in the Landmark, and get an awesome view for free going up to the 54th floor, pretending to be lost, and go all the way down again ;-)

So: what else? Where else can I get some luxury on the cheap? I'm based by Ploenchit, so anywhere I can walk to is also a bonus

-P

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was thinking of INCREASING my budget to 500 baht per day, INCLUDING utlities!

60 meter seaview apartment = 84 baht/day

Electricity/water = 50 baht/day

Satellite TV = free

Breakfast (fruit juice, yoghurt, sunflower seeds, milk) = 50 baht/day

Lunch - free from my employer

Evening meal (salad and fruit juice) = 50 baht

Jogging, cycling, reading, laughing = free

:)

Simon

Satellite TV = free

:)

Simon

Free Satellite TV????

I'm having to make a lot of investment in my business over the next three months, so I've decided in the interim to try and cut down my spending this coming month... I'm cutting my 'discretionary budget' down to 500THB a day - from 2,000THB - to include basically everything that isn't a utility...

I've got a live-in, self-supporting other-half, so lady-drinks and the like aren't a budgetary requirement... But what I'm really trying to achieve here is to cut down while not really reigning in the life of luxury - I think I can probably get very good value out of 500THB a day ... right?

For example:

- I know the food stall at the back of the food court near Sukhumvit Soi 1 has hands-down some of the best Thai food I've ever eaten, and costs ~150THB per person, if you go all-out

- Bacchus, on Ruam Rudee, does a 2-1 happy hour - house wine is 160THB a glass - so that's 100THB for a nice glass of wine if you're with a friend

- The bami-giaow-mu-daeng stall outside the 7-11, also on Ruam Rudee, does exceptional food, at 35THB a dish...

- Cheap Charlies has beer lao, is in walking distance of me, and is, as the name suggests, pretty cheap

- Instead of going to Sirocco for the view with visitors, you can just use the glass elevators in the Landmark, and get an awesome view for free going up to the 54th floor, pretending to be lost, and go all the way down again ;-)

So: what else? Where else can I get some luxury on the cheap? I'm based by Ploenchit, so anywhere I can walk to is also a bonus

-P

Sounds like you are spending too much, to me. :)

A good challenge; just how much do we need to live on?

Hadn't done any calculations before . . . for me - and this is overall cost of living, not 'discretionary'

Rent (daily) incl cable tv & internet - 300

Electric - 20-25

Local meals - 2 @ 45: 90

Fruit, milk, cereal: 50 maybe

Water: 60-100 (I run and cycle and buy as i go, need it cold)

Laundry - 200wk so 30/day

and there's always little extras. i couldn't do 500, but 1000 comfortably - not having a vehicle plainly a big saver. But then again my tri bike cost equiv 45k I won't include that though. Or the occasional dive trip, night at the bars, coffees, dining out, scooter hire if needed. 8-10k a week? Likely fo me. Of course as i'm living solo - some things would be cheaper with 2.

Interesting exercise.

For example:

150 Baht at a foodstall ???????????????? GOSH !!!

certainly no regular Thai people will eat there..... well yeah, you seem to live in a super-touristy area (suk Soi 1 !).

here in my BKK suburb none of those many small foodstalls and hole-in-the-wall-restaurants charges more than 30 or 35 Baht for an excellent meal..... otherwise they wouldn't have any customers....

150 Baht at a foodstall ???????????????? GOSH !!!

certainly no regular Thai people will eat there..... well yeah, you seem to live in a super-touristy area (suk Soi 1 !).

here in my BKK suburb none of those many small foodstalls and hole-in-the-wall-restaurants charges more than 30 or 35 Baht for an excellent meal..... otherwise they wouldn't have any customers....

It's always full of Thai people. Because the food really is that good. Most food stalls near my place are also 35THB max, but, this place is incredible. We've started going a couple of times a week.

-P

Satellite TV = free

Simon

I thought u had a hotel that was full every night in phuket. Can't be doing that great if you are living like that. I am trying to cutback to 500baht an hour :)

Edited by namoo

Please do share with us your find Dr Evil.

Massage each other. More fun and money saved :)

Spot on. I do know a place where you can get excellent massage for 200baht for 1hr 45min.

Its in Lad Phrao, though. Its a bit far to walk from Ploenchit.

On second thought, I am going to keep it under my hat.

Please do share with us your find Dr Evil.
Massage each other. More fun and money saved :D

Spot on. I do know a place where you can get excellent massage for 200baht for 1hr 45min.

Its in Lad Phrao, though. Its a bit far to walk from Ploenchit.

On second thought, I am going to keep it under my hat.

PM me if you are serious. I don't want this place overrun by bleddy foreigners. :)

The place is a hole in the wall. If you don't know its there, you will drive right by it.

I'm always amazed at the folks that insist they must spend 10,000+ baht for a night out. Maybe they are bragging? Whatever :)

That said ... it's far from impossible to spend that much. Took the lady out for the buffet at the Marriot ... 6,000THB with wine ... and we managed to spend 5,500THB at Circle for a dinner for two (which came as a nasty shock) a few weeks ago. Anyway, this is all on the point - it's possible to spend lots and have a lot of luxury, but I'm also convinced it's possible to spend a lot less, and have medium luxury - every extra baht buys a little less.

So what I'm really looking for here (and which there's not been yet :-( ) is ideas for luxury on the cheap ie: great bargains for someone who loves to eat and drink and live the high-life, but is trying to be a little budget conscious. Here's another idea: JJ Delivery are a tasty and cheaper alternative to ChefsXP - nowhere near the range, but it's tasty Thai food delivered...

-P

I could do it on 200

- 30 bt - cow car moo (thai leg of pork on rice with vegtables)

- 140 bt - beer

- 30 bt - rubber johnnies.

I do plan on eating more than one meal a day tho ;-)

So you wouldn't eat the rubber johnnies then? :)

Namoo, you really don't understand do you?? You do not get rich and do not stay rich by spending your money! You achieve it by being careful with your money. The hotel in Phuket is making very good money every month, and I have an excellent software job in Jomtien. But if I can live very happily on a few hundred baht a day, why should I spend more? Much better to save it for my future businesses/retirement/kids' education etc.

Years ago I was financially well off, but I squandered that money and it's all gone. Now that I have a second (actually third) chance to regain that position, I'm not about to make the same mistakes of my 'youth' :)

Simon

why do you not stay in 4 nights a week and only go out for food. so you only spend 100 a day and then at the weekend you have a couple of grand to splash out a bit.

With half the time I go out to eat, it costs me less than when I cook for myself.  Except for my pork burger or my sub nights, I tend to cook with food that might be considered a little pricey.  But when I eat after the gym, I eat some at some stalls where the delicious food costs less than 100 baht for the total.  Wednesday, i "splurged" on my favorite moo ka ta, and it was 250+ baht for two. That is about the cost for my cheapest home meal.

you can get by on five hundred bt a day by yourself excluding rent and utilities.

I could do it on 200

- 30 bt - cow car moo (thai leg of pork on rice with vegtables)

- 140 bt - beer

- 30 bt - rubber johnnies.

Easy.

Geekfreaklover your killing me :):D:D

How old are you ? I have never heard them called that for many many years.... Rubber Johnnies :D

Its a classic... I got to go, I just cannot stop laughing, really...