Luxury On The Cheap...

petepete

Thanks PetePete... I'll give it a try soon... What's good there? What do you like???

It's ALL good ;-) - although their specialty is seafood. We usually order the larb-mu, fried vegetables with garlic, pad-si-ew gai, and this yellow crab curry they have. I can't eat spicy food without getting ill, so my range is limited - my Thai friends say it's all good

-P

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You unfortunate Bangkok folks. Upcountry, I couldn't spend 500B a day. Not enough time nor appetite to enjoy all that pleasure!

At the market (which has all kinds of fresh and cooked goodies) it would be impossible to eat more than 70-baht worth of food in one sitting.

So, I just sock away 75% of my monthly income, and spend it on international travel a couple times a year! Each to his own!

Doesn't have anything to do with upcountry living

If you were British you would be physically obliged to consume at least 500baht a day of alcohol to keep your blood flowing and your personality enjoyable(from what i read on these forums brits are kind of like boozy vampires)

• 1 month later...
breakfast: yakult 10 baht

lunch: 50 baht

dinner: 50 baht

the rest of the money goes towards water and cigarettes. if i have money left over at the end of the month, then i can go out to a nice thai bar. i've been living like this for a year now.

-------

ok ok mysterybkk...

when you feel you are getting really skinny.... and really need some good solid thai food to sustain you further....

pm me, you are invited for some fabulous dinning with my family.... lol

you can get by on five hundred bt a day by yourself excluding rent and utilities.

I could do it on 200

- 30 bt - cow car moo (thai leg of pork on rice with vegtables)

- 140 bt - beer

- 30 bt - rubber johnnies.

Easy.

You can skip the johnnies, too, and save that B30. You see, we are invincible and immortal here. Hence no mention of health related expenses.

BTW, TV doesn't like any mention of saving or budgeting or even avoidance of double pricing. We adore Big Spenders here and most of us are quite wealthy. And so are our Chinese-Thai girlfriends. So buzz off, Cheap Charlies.

why do you not stay in 4 nights a week and only go out for food. so you only spend 100 a day and then at the weekend you have a couple of grand to splash out a bit.

With half the time I go out to eat, it costs me less than when I cook for myself.  Except for my pork burger or my sub nights, I tend to cook with food that might be considered a little pricey.  But when I eat after the gym, I eat some at some stalls where the delicious food costs less than 100 baht for the total.  Wednesday, i "splurged" on my favorite moo ka ta, and it was 250+ baht for two. That is about the cost for my cheapest home meal.

i agree. once you add up the costs of sauces, ingredients, spices etc, meals often come to a few hundred baht per portion.

I was thinking of INCREASING my budget to 500 baht per day, INCLUDING utlities!

60 meter seaview apartment = 84 baht/day

Electricity/water = 50 baht/day

Satellite TV = free

Simon

A seaview apt. in Jomtien for 2500B/month? Are you joking?

why do you not stay in 4 nights a week and only go out for food. so you only spend 100 a day and then at the weekend you have a couple of grand to splash out a bit.

With half the time I go out to eat, it costs me less than when I cook for myself.  Except for my pork burger or my sub nights, I tend to cook with food that might be considered a little pricey.  But when I eat after the gym, I eat some at some stalls where the delicious food costs less than 100 baht for the total.  Wednesday, i "splurged" on my favorite moo ka ta, and it was 250+ baht for two. That is about the cost for my cheapest home meal.

i agree. once you add up the costs of sauces, ingredients, spices etc, meals often come to a few hundred baht per portion.

But salty and fattening--and perhaps sugary. Empty calories in that rice & noodles. You cook for yourself, you can cook healthy.

But salty and fattening--and perhaps sugary. Empty calories in that rice & noodles. You cook for yourself, you can cook healthy.

That's the truth. After a lifetime of good health, my health went downstream (cholesterol, blood flow, blood pressure, heart, etc.) after eating out in Thai restaurants--all meals, everyday--for 5 years. Went to cooking for myself and the health is significantly on the mend. And, I must add, Thailand is a paradise for great veggies, fruit, spices and herbs to make delicious and yet healthy meals. It's become rather a hobby now, and even some of my (more enlightened) Thai friends are asking me how to upgrade the health factor in their meal preparation. There we go, Toptuan's fledgling Healthy Thai Cuisine cooking school gets its humble start.... :)

Edited by toptuan

Likre others I think we have once again been stuffed by the 'great and the good' who probably won't be eating off street stalls.

But, specific to the area:

1.Took Lae Dee Sukhumvit 5 Foodland, reasonable western food and the chance to strike up a good conversation. Very cosmo.

2. Bus ride to park outside Emporium, early evening aerobics, join the swimming pool, or just laze around. Or for that matter Lumpini not so far away, plus interesting night views.

The area you are in is expensive: I live at Fortune Town, I can go to a local health Spa for 100bt a day, with gymn, and poolside luxuries. Paradise!

haha, very good post.. i also can't understand how farang can spend so much money around here, even after they lived here for so long, for just a few percent better food or more fun. Drink beer with Thai or farang friends together, and you can just get it from the 7... breakfast from the fridge and thai food for 30- 80 baht all over the place here.. g/f takes care herself, massage free ofcourse, a bit of swimming in the sea (free), cheap fruit, etc. Sometimes like to splash out here, as well, but basically 500 baht can do it just fine.. see how the Thai's do it!

Wasn't aware of a beach in Sukhumvit!! still you know best.

Fortune Town has condos/apartments?

:)

Getting off at Pra ram 9 underground, you would walk up the road (Lotus is on your left). You turn left at Rachada 3 and a short way down there are a number of apartments. I live in a nice room at a very well serviced apartment block for 6900 per month. I live cheaply because I have good tv, and modern air con in a well appointed room. The food stalls are better than Suk and I regularly eat at the small modern restaurants for no more than 250bt, that's dinner for 2 with beer. I can go to a 36m swimming pool for just 100bt a day as previously described and the internet shops are about 20bt an hour. It's also a colourful area.

Apartments can vary from Baron Mansion from 3900 to Sitara 12000bt, a good mid priced being Meechai for 5500bt. Above 5000bt, you tend to get away from the open doors, midnight mad dogs, motor bikes outside, and 3 O'clock karaoke parties.

Not that I indulge anymore but the naughtiness is cheaper too.

Fortune Town has condos/apartments?

:)

Getting off at Pra ram 9 underground, you would walk up the road (Lotus is on your left). You turn left at Rachada 3 and a short way down there are a number of apartments. I live in a nice room at a very well serviced apartment block for 6900 per month. I live cheaply because I have good tv, and modern air con in a well appointed room. The food stalls are better than Suk and I regularly eat at the small modern restaurants for no more than 250bt, that's dinner for 2 with beer. I can go to a 36m swimming pool for just 100bt a day as previously described and the internet shops are about 20bt an hour. It's also a colourful area.

Apartments can vary from Baron Mansion from 3900 to Sitara 12000bt, a good mid priced being Meechai for 5500bt. Above 5000bt, you tend to get away from the open doors, midnight mad dogs, motor bikes outside, and 3 O'clock karaoke parties.

Not that I indulge anymore but the naughtiness is cheaper too.

thanks for the info. I thought that maybe there were units for sale IN Fortune that I didn't know about... ala the not too well known but fairly nice units available in the Phatra Complex up the street.

:D

you can get by on five hundred bt a day by yourself excluding rent and utilities.

I could do it on 200

- 30 bt - cow car moo (thai leg of pork on rice with vegtables)

- 140 bt - beer

- 30 bt - rubber johnnies.

Easy.

You can skip the johnnies, too, and save that B30. You see, we are invincible and immortal here. Hence no mention of health related expenses.

BTW, TV doesn't like any mention of saving or budgeting or even avoidance of double pricing. We adore Big Spenders here and most of us are quite wealthy. And so are our Chinese-Thai girlfriends. So buzz off, Cheap Charlies.

wealthy people are usually cheap. Its not in a rich persons nature to spend big money on daily living expenses.

I think there is a good food court near Phloen Chit, in a building I think is called "Wall Street Building"? or something like that. It's up at the 7th floor or so I believe. If it's not that building, well, it's close to there.

Found today:

"Bread" on Ruam Rudee. Breakfast, which is a shot of orange juice, coffee + a big tasty croissant for 105THB all in. That said, the croissant (actually, pain au chocolat) was so very good I ended up spending 4 times that on other stuff too!

Having put a little bit of money aside over the week, there's an excellent buffet at La Gritta on Sukhumvit Soi 19 that's 500THB - probably hitting that tonight.

Garage does a lunch-on-the-run for 199THB that's super-tasty - really great burger.

Might try catching the bus to Khao San road tonight - should save me 80THB worth of taxi...

Any other suggestions welcomed! What I was really looking for when I started this post was other bits of mini luxury at prices that I could slot in to a 500THB daily food and fun budget. For example, the views and offerings at Sirocco are awesome, but 600THB for a drink is too far...

-P

wealthy people are usually cheap. Its not in a rich persons nature to spend big money on daily living expenses.

that is just a big joke they made up and passed from generation to generation to keep the poor complacent and in good spirits. another of which is "you don't need a big wallet to have a big smile... Are my shirts ironed yet?"

Namoo, you really don't understand do you?? You do not get rich and do not stay rich by spending your money! You achieve it by being careful with your money. The hotel in Phuket is making very good money every month, and I have an excellent software job in Jomtien. But if I can live very happily on a few hundred baht a day, why should I spend more? Much better to save it for my future businesses/retirement/kids' education etc.

Years ago I was financially well off, but I squandered that money and it's all gone. Now that I have a second (actually third) chance to regain that position, I'm not about to make the same mistakes of my 'youth' :D

Simon

Great post Simon, sometimes people just do not think before they write, or maybe are just too ignorant. It is not about how much cash you have but what you do with it. Nice to see someone looks beyond the end of their nose or the following day !!

I too was in the same position as you and you certainly do not appreciate it until it is gone, but yeah second (or third :) ) time around you start to learn.

I often forget how much I actually spend on a night out and although it's been a great night, would I have spent that much back home in england? Prob. not. - 5,000 in Nana or SC doesn't go far. Whereas I don't think I 've ever spent 100 quid on booze alone in england. ( No ladies to buy drinks for I guess :) )

Anyway, my friend was in town on a budget but didn't want any charity so we did the "Baloon chase " - free/cheap party hunting !

I couldn't believe how we managed to bar hop all over town with happy hours all the way till 2.00 am.

60 baht beers all night are easy to find but I just usually ignored it previously.

Next time on the prowl, keep an eye out for them. You'll be suprised..........

Cooking for yourself helps.

Yep, can't beat a packet of Mama with a diced dollop of chicken, a handful of steamed broccoli and a poached egg on top... all for perhaps 25 baht :)

Sounds like a budget buster. Surely no need for the egg when you already have that bit of chicken.

:D

that is just a big joke they made up and passed from generation to generation to keep the poor complacent and in good spirits. another of which is "you don't need a big wallet to have a big smile... Are my shirts ironed yet?"

Ask a taxi driver in a big city, who are the worst tippers ?

Rich people.

Rich people just want value for their money. Doesn't necessarily mean they are cheap.

Can't get luxury for little money but you can get if you're willing to invest a bit more. One way is hunting the 600 baht for unlimited drinks in Ekamai and Thong Lor. That's a great deal.

Also, The Londoner's "buy one get one free" for a pint of their delicious beer is a fantastic deal.

Having put a little bit of money aside over the week, there's an excellent buffet at La Gritta on Sukhumvit Soi 19 that's 500THB - probably hitting that tonight.
Any other suggestions welcomed! What I was really looking for when I started this post was other bits of mini luxury at prices that I could slot in to a 500THB daily food and fun budget.

Now that you've mentioned the 500 baht range...

A mini luxury = Mrs. Balbirs

When most think of the Mrs, they think expensive.

But that just is not so.

For instance...

Samosas (you get 4)

Onion Bhajis (8?)

Dal

A vegetable dish

A meat dish...

Total? Around 1000 baht.

If you are trying to save money, it may seem a lot. But, that order will feed two people well for one night, with enough left over for two lunches (you might need to top up the second lunch with rice, etc).

The only potential downside is the gas, so perhaps don't go the Mrs route if you have company staying the weekend.

Edited by desi