Uob Now Charging 150 Baht Fot Atm

UOB is now charging the 150 baht for ATM withdrawal bummer. Is Government Savings still not charging this 150 charge would appreciate knowing?? Thanks I know this topic has been gone over and over.

This is for a foreign bank ATM card in USA . Does anyone know of any banks that are not charging this extra fee??

Last time I used the GSB last week - no charge (UK Visa Debit Card)

I've tried using this bank for the last month and it always comes up with an error, please contact your bank but if I go to Siam or BKK bank then no problems apart from the 150 baht charge.

I've tried using this bank for the last month and it always comes up with an error, please contact your bank but if I go to Siam or BKK bank then no problems apart from the 150 baht charge.

I bet you have a MasterCard or Cirrus branded ATM card. Those don't work in the two remaining 150 baht fee free banks - GSB and AEON. See the other thread in this forum. I posted there that over-the-counter cash advances at SCB using an ATM and passport are also fee free. If you have a MasterCard, this is the only option that I know of for avoiding the 150 baht fee.

I bet you have a MasterCard or Cirrus branded ATM card. Those don't work in the two remaining 150 baht fee free banks - GSB and AEON. See the other thread in this forum. I posted there that over-the-counter cash advances at SCB using an ATM and passport are also fee free. If you have a MasterCard, this is the only option that I know of for avoiding the 150 baht fee.

Actually my cards are Barclays/Halifax visa, so are you saying that if I use my cards over the counter at SCB there is no charge.

Actually my cards are Barclays/Halifax visa, so are you saying that if I use my cards over the counter at SCB there is no charge.

That has been my experience. I went the first time with my wife. I then returned to the US and she used this same method at least 3 more times. Sometimes there is a delay of several days before the money is withdrawn. Usually my available funds are reduced by an amount somewhat less than the amount that actually ends up being withdrawn. For example the day of the transaction, my available balance is $442.86 less than the current balance. Then about 5 days later the withdrawal is made in an amount of say $445.16. I would see that on the same day that the withdrawal is finally posted, my wife would have withdrawn from an UOB ATM and the amount would be the same - $445.16. One day later an ATM fee of $1 is charged while the over-the-counter transactions appears as an EFT (electronic funds transfer) the same as if I had used the card as a debit card to purchase merchandise except without any POS (point of sale) fee. So I would avoid the 150 baht fee and the $1 ATM fee.

If you have a visa card, then GSB ATMs should work. I had a Capital One visa card that worked at GSB. The local MasterCard never worked. If I were you, I would try a few other GSB ATMs or an AEON ATM. If that doesn't work, try the over-the-counter method at SCB.

UOB is now charging the 150 baht for ATM withdrawal bummer. Is Government Savings still not charging this 150 charge would appreciate knowing?? Thanks I know this topic has been gone over and over.

This is for a foreign bank ATM card in USA . Does anyone know of any banks that are not charging this extra fee??

GSB ATM in CNX 2/9 ok with VISA PLUS Card.

That has been my experience. I went the first time with my wife. I then returned to the US and she used this same method at least 3 more times. Sometimes there is a delay of several days before the money is withdrawn. Usually my available funds are reduced by an amount somewhat less than the amount that actually ends up being withdrawn. For example the day of the transaction, my available balance is $442.86 less than the current balance. Then about 5 days later the withdrawal is made in an amount of say $445.16. I would see that on the same day that the withdrawal is finally posted, my wife would have withdrawn from an UOB ATM and the amount would be the same - $445.16. One day later an ATM fee of $1 is charged while the over-the-counter transactions appears as an EFT (electronic funds transfer) the same as if I had used the card as a debit card to purchase merchandise except without any POS (point of sale) fee. So I would avoid the 150 baht fee and the $1 ATM fee.

If you have a visa card, then GSB ATMs should work. I had a Capital One visa card that worked at GSB. The local MasterCard never worked. If I were you, I would try a few other GSB ATMs or an AEON ATM. If that doesn't work, try the over-the-counter method at SCB.

Will give it a try but have only ever seen the one GSB and thats in Big C here in Lampang

but will look around, by the way I have also been restricted to 10,000 baht by several banks upon withdrawal which frequently then means 3 transactions in a week.

I have had the same problem (same 'error' message) at several different Government Savings Bank ATMs

AND I am using a Visa Debit Card.

As to avoiding the 150-baht ATM fee by taking a cash advance from SCB, are you then not subject to an even higher cash advance fee--if not by SCB, then by your issuing bank?

I have had the same problem (same 'error' message) at several different Government Savings Bank ATMs

As to avoiding the 150-baht ATM fee by taking a cash advance from SCB, are you then not subject to an even higher cash advance fee--if not by SCB, then by your issuing bank?

Actually I have never taken a cash advance but when I use the ATMs the charge I get from my bank and the Thai bank amounts to at least 7 pounds 25 pence and if I'm restricted as to the amount I can withdraw it soon begins to mount up having to make a couple of visits to the ATM.

The card we use for the cash advance is a debit card (a.k.a. check card), not a credit card. Cash advances on credit cards usually have fees plus you are charged interest starting from the day of the cash advance. This doesn't apply to a debit card. I too was concerned when the bank manager at SCB called the over-the-counter transaction a cash advance. But it really worked more like a merchandise purchase. We did this in Phatthalung, so things may be different in more urban areas. The process involved my wife handing over her US passport (her Thai passport has a different last name) and her debit card. The bank manager takes one of those old fashion credit card charge carbon papered receipts and manually pressed down on the ATM card to get the card number imprinted on the receipt. Then he writes down the 15,000 in the right column and 15,000 as the total amount for the transaction. He phones someone to get authorization for the cash advance. Then he gives my wife the receipt, her passport, and her ATM card. My wife takes the receipt to the next available teller and the teller hands her over 15,000 baht.

The card we use for the cash advance is a debit card (a.k.a. check card), not a credit card. Cash advances on credit cards usually have fees plus you are charged interest starting from the day of the cash advance. This doesn't apply to a debit card. I too was concerned when the bank manager at SCB called the over-the-counter transaction a cash advance. But it really worked more like a merchandise purchase. We did this in Phatthalung, so things may be different in more urban areas. The process involved my wife handing over her US passport (her Thai passport has a different last name) and her debit card. The bank manager takes one of those old fashion credit card charge carbon papered receipts and manually pressed down on the ATM card to get the card number imprinted on the receipt. Then he writes down the 15,000 in the right column and 15,000 as the total amount for the transaction. He phones someone to get authorization for the cash advance. Then he gives my wife the receipt, her passport, and her ATM card. My wife takes the receipt to the next available teller and the teller hands her over 15,000 baht.

My cards too are Debits so will give it a try this weekend, something to save and nothing to lose, cheers wacky.

:P union of buggers - uob - another member of the rip-off banks, except this one is from filthy rich singapore....yes, filthy rich bank...from singapore....they know their targets, i.e. farangs mainly...... :D

:D:D how did an off-shore bank gets to join the ranks of the thai banks to charge the 150 bahts? :D:P

:):D something is not right here...... :D:D