Pizza Again! (a Hot Dog! Pizza...?)

Michaelaway

PIZZA AGAIN!!

PIZZA BIG is my favorite Pattaya pizza (to date) after four years of not diligent/only ocassional testing. For us, it wins for: Overall taste (wood-fired oven), ingredients (fresh & delicious), crust (crispy factor, away-from-edge texture, chewability, taste) & value (size & cost). And, like all good, homemade foods- you actually feel really good allover after your meal, provided you didn't overdo it. IMO...

Replying to the posting about Scoby's:

Thanks a lot. If you're favorite is PIZZA BIG (mine, too) then I guess we should try Scoby's sometime when we're in that area. Funny what you say about the mushrooms. I, too, noticed that PIZZA BIG serves canned mushrooms, and commented my surprise to my TGF. In-house or delivery: canned mushrooms. After all, there is pretty nice variety of fresh mushrooms available locally. And cheaply, too.

Then I read your comments and it got me thinking... Is it possible that the density of the canned mushrooms, being completely saturated by the solution they're in, stand up to the oven heat/ baking process better than the fresh, air-filled, more easily burned varieties? Just a thought that crossed my mind. I like to cook, but don't know much about pizza making. Like you, I too, much prefer fresh mushrooms to canned but must admit that we keep a can of sliced mushrooms in the cupboard for the odd occasion when there's no fresh. I think they taste ok.

Lastly, someone else mentioned The Spaghetti Factory:

On Pattaya Beach Road, next door to Pizza Hut (never!). They said they really liked the pizza there. Well, we stopped there on the spur of the moment last week. Ordered a sausage and mushroom pizza. About 280 baht, as I recall. What arrived was a decent size, nice looking, crispy-edged, thin crust pizza topped with... sliced hot dogs! and mushrooms. Hmmm, ok... We decided to give it the benefit of the doubt.

On the plus side: Pizza was good, nice- despite the hot dogs! Also, tableside, there was a long bottle of chillies infusing in olive oil. And, upon request, the lady brought over a small cup of shaved, real parmesan cheese. Liberal use of both really helped the overall experience, making my first hot dog! pizza from The Spaghetti Factory... actually quite good. Well blow me down (figure of speech)...