Photography Sayings And Quotes

Kan Win

Hi Folks,

Photography Sayings and Quotes............................

"Learn from the mistakes of others, because you won't have time to make them all yourself."

"Photography is at its core an attempt to represent the reality of light in a media that can't faithfully reproduce it." - Karl Lang

"Critique and Comment always welcome."

Please add yours if you have some.

Thanking you all.

Your truly,

Kan Win :)

I thought I would put a bunch out there to brighten up the topic:

• “The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.” – Dorothea Lange
  • “Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst.” – Henri Cartier-Bresson
  • “Which of the photographs is my favorite? The one I’m going to take tomorrow.” – Imogen Cunningham
  • “There is a vast difference between taking a picture and making a photograph.” – Robert Heinecken
  • “Now, to consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravity before going for a walk.” - Edward Weston
  • “Film is cheaper than opportunity.” - Steve Silberman
  • “I find the single most valuable tool in the darkroom is my trash can.” – John Sexton
  • “I see something special and show it to the camera. The moment is held until someone sees it. Then it is theirs.” – Sam Abell
  • “Landscape photography is the supreme test of the photographer, and often the supreme disappointment.” - Ansel Adams
  • “I think all art is about control, the encounter between control and uncontrollable.” – Richard Avedon
  • “Maybe the judgment of whether something is art or not should come from the viewer and not the doer.” – Alan Babbitt
  • “Hardening of the categories causes art disease.” - W. Eugene Smith
  • “If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn’t need to lug around a camera.” – Lewis Hine
  • “Light glorifies everything. It transforms and ennobles the most commonplace and ordinary subjects. The object is nothing, light is everything.” – Leonard Missone
  • “The sheer ease with which we can produce a superficial image often leads to creative disaster.” – Ansel Adams
  • “If you are out there shooting, things will happen for you. If you’re not out there, you’ll only hear about it.” Jay Maisel

Some photos to go with them > Famous Photographers Quotes

And some more:

• "There is nothing worse than a brilliant image of a fuzzy concept." Ansel Adams
  • "A photograph is not an accident – it is a concept." Ansel Adams
  • "While photographs may not lie, liars may photograph." Lewis Wickes Hine
  • "The photographer must be a part of the picture." Arnold Newman
  • "Photography is a means of recording forever the things one sees for a moment." Aaron Sussman
  • "What use is having a great depth of field, if there is not an adequate depth of feeling?" W. Eugene Smith
  • "Photography is not a sport. It has no rules. Everything must be dared and tried!" Bill Brandt
  • "There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs." Ansel Adams

• 2 weeks later...
"If it ain't good enough - you ain't near enough" (Bill Hardy)

Vulcan : "If your pictures aren,t good enough, your not close enough"

has always been attributed to Robert Capa

so either they both said something very similar or one is misquoting the other

Both great photographers anyhow

Edited by Kan Win

"If it ain't good enough - you ain't near enough" (Bill Hardy)

Vulcan : "If your pictures aren,t good enough, your not close enough"

has always been attributed to Robert Capa

so either they both said something very similar or one is misquoting the other

Both great photographers anyhow

I stand corrected - it was Robert Capa. Great statement though.