Source For Matt Board

wimpy

I am looking for a source for high quality white matt board. The kind used for matting and mounting pictures. It needs to be pure white and acid free. I would think a high quality framing store would be able to get it. The stuff at Central's art supply is crap. I'd appreciate your suggestions.

What about the art supply store 'Zirieng' just up from the Irish Pub, near the glasses shop? I recently bought a bunch of oil painting supplies there, and was impressed by the large selection of stuff. Even my Thai Painter friend said it was the best art supply store he'd seen around, and I did notice mat boards, but didn't look close...

As for framing shops, I always suggest the shop on the left side of the road leading from pratu chiang mai to suan prung hospital.. just past pratu suan prung intersection

Edited by Ajarn

I was just told of another place just off chotana road, around rajabhat. Sorry, I couldn't get any clearer directions, but there's a stationary store across from rajabhat which I'm sure could guide you in better.

Good luck :o

• 2 years later...
I am looking for a source for high quality white matt board. The kind used for matting and mounting pictures. It needs to be pure white and acid free. I would think a high quality framing store would be able to get it. The stuff at Central's art supply is crap. I'd appreciate your suggestions.

About a year ago, when I needed a picture reframed I went looking for a place that used acid free matt board. No body seemed to know what I was talking about, so I finally went to the CMU Faulty of Art, and even the director had no knowledge of such a thing. I gave up and used what was available. My watercolor has not turned yellow yet. Unfortunately, it seems that they use some kind of wood product on the back - The acid is a natural substance in wood that is washed away producing "acid free" paper products. I now have a very heavy watercolor, but what the heck, the walls are made of concrete and can hold it!

What about the art supply store 'Zirieng' just up from the Irish Pub, near the glasses shop? I recently bought a bunch of oil painting supplies there, and was impressed by the large selection of stuff. Even my Thai Painter friend said it was the best art supply store he'd seen around, and I did notice mat boards, but didn't look close...

As for framing shops, I always suggest the shop on the left side of the road leading from pratu chiang mai to suan prung hospital.. just past pratu suan prung intersection

If you go to that one, the big one on the corner on your left, with the moat on your right, you'll be framed in more ways than one. They are OK (just), but horrendously over priced.

Imagine you reverse along the south side of the moat from there to the top of Seedonchai Rd, the moat still on your right of course.

Go slowly west until, on your left, you see pictures on the sidewalk outside a tiny shop with a Thai name - Khrob Dao. Just before the new building site. Charming people, good framing work of all types and unbeatable value.