Historical Pubs In Chiang Mai

miltonbentley

Why don't you just charge an entry fee redeemable against food and drinks since you think everyone should spend a minimum amount you determine is correct?

Now you're getting into the right mindset, I reckon your chances of passing by the riff-raff scanner are increasing by the moment.

Would the bar sections at Riverside or the Brasserie fit into your survey Mr Bentley? My sister-in-law runs a Karaoke bar in her basement and has done for at least a decade but I'm guessing that doesn't count!

JxP

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why don't you just charge an entry fee redeemable against food and drinks since you think everyone should spend a minimum amount you determine is correct?

Now you're getting into the right mindset, I reckon your chances of passing by the riff-raff scanner are increasing by the moment.

Would the bar sections at Riverside or the Brasserie fit into your survey Mr Bentley? My sister-in-law runs a Karaoke bar in her basement and has done for at least a decade but I'm guessing that doesn't count!

JxP

Of course it counts, when we meeting up for a drink at that karaoke joint JxP? :)

Certainly Riverside and the Brasserie would fit and if anyone has any historical information I would be very interested.

Old karaoke joints are also of interest I don't discriminate against any type of establishment in terms of my historical interest. In fact historical knocking shhop would be another interesting topic but beyond the scope of the current thread. :)

Certainly Riverside and the Brasserie would fit and if anyone has any historical information I would be very interested.

Old karaoke joints are also of interest I don't discriminate against any type of establishment in terms of my historical interest. In fact historical knocking shhop would be another interesting topic but beyond the scope of the current thread. :)

The Riverside is now back to it's original size if you don't include the annex opposite. The half that they recently had to give back to the owners was originally 'Katie's Kitchen' and then about 18 years or so ago The Riverside took it over.

The only expat bars that existed when I first came were Karen Hut, Overlander, The Pub, Haus Munchen (it was a German Bar/restaurant). No bar beer centres, nothing on Loi Kroh and maybe no Spotlight? The gymkhana was busy on a Friday evening and Sunday afternoon but otherwise not.

JxP

Of course it counts, when we meeting up for a drink at that karaoke joint JxP? :)

You may be disappointed, it's not that kind of karaoke! She has her own anti-riff-raff type policy: you can have anything you like to drink . . . if you can choose between Chang beer and Hang Thong "whisky" and can order it in northern Thai!

However, you do bring up a good point, research of this nature should always be undertaken at street level to ensure accuracy. I'm sure that this is what miltonbentley is working up to.

JxP

I drove past the Brassiere today and the place is just a large open space. There are some burn marks against an interior wall so I suspect the place burned down very recently. Anyone know what happened?

Edited by Loaded

I used to drink in Mike Tinker's version of The Pub in '70 or '71. I thought it was a very nice place except when his wife was giving him one of his frequent public bollockings. I was not aware of any other place at the time that could be called a pub. There were plenty of shebeens, whorehouses etc. and, fortunately, karaoke had not been invented then.

I drove past the Brassiere today and the place is just a large open space. There are some burn marks against an interior wall so I suspect the place burned down very recently. Anyone know what happened?

I guess that explains why it seemed dead as a doornail when I passed by there a couple of times in the last few days. Was thinking of stopping in for a drink and to see if Took was back in town. I was surprised at how dead it seemed from outside. Sorry to hear that. Anyone have any further info?

I guess that explains why it seemed dead as a doornail when I passed by there a couple of times in the last few days. Was thinking of stopping in for a drink and to see if Took was back in town. I was surprised at how dead it seemed from outside. Sorry to hear that. Anyone have any further info?

That would be a great shame. I am going down to Guitarman tonight to see his nephew 'Boy' play at 10.30. I'll ask him what he knows about it. Sad news if it's true. :)

Well if we are talking about historical knocking shops (which would be against the forum rules of course) then the Las Vegas would fit the bill as indeed you own establishment (pre you turning it into a fine establishment of course)

that all said - the topic is about historical pubs in CM so discussions re corkage and cheap charlies is off topic and bordering on flaming. Obviously no one would intentially do that so let's keep this thread interesting, on topic and civil.

cheers

CB

This reminds me that I have to visit the RL to see whether the claims about the F & C that they serve up there stand up to scrutiny.

Don't forget to take a bottle of water there.

They wanted "corkage" to open a bottle. That was five years ago, and I never went back :D

Actually, it wasn't "corkage" it was corkage. A standard charge in most establishments.

What intrigues me about this comment is this....

It's one thing being a cheapskate but, why would you want to share that with everyone? :)

I'm probably fuelling the flames but..... I thought it was some joke about corkage on a bottle of water :D

I think (someone will doubtless correct me) that on the other side of the Gate, very close to where the excellent Gecko Books is now, there was a tiny bar called Jungle Hut or The Karen Hut.

I think that the "hole in the wall" pub in Chang Moi Gao, just down from Gecko, that you are refering to used to be called the Pig Pen, then the Cottage & was run by Gaew who had a tour office at the front of the Roong Arun Hotel on Thapae.

I think that the other town Pub in those days was Stewart & Nok's Opium Den / Karen Hut ? in the Prince Hotel. The Opium Den moved to become the Oasis & the Karen Hut opened sometime around "then" I think?? Please correct me on this history if not right.

Howard had the Welshmans before it became the Spottie.

Stewart's Oasis ran for years & the Karen Hut was also around for "yonks."

My Place run by Tuk lasted 10? years in 2 locations.

The Peacock Coffeeshop in the Montri was a popular late night constellation beauty & ran for years before moving to Thapae to where I think is now a bakery S&P or something.

Oh how the years fly by.

But The Pub on Huay Kaew's been here the longest.

I think (someone will doubtless correct me) that on the other side of the Gate, very close to where the excellent Gecko Books is now, there was a tiny bar called Jungle Hut or The Karen Hut.

I think that the "hole in the wall" pub in Chang Moi Gao, just down from Gecko, that you are refering to used to be called the Pig Pen, then the Cottage & was run by Gaew who had a tour office at the front of the Roong Arun Hotel on Thapae.

I think that the other town Pub in those days was Stewart & Nok's Opium Den / Karen Hut ? in the Prince Hotel. The Opium Den moved to become the Oasis & the Karen Hut opened sometime around "then" I think?? Please correct me on this history if not right.

Howard had the Welshmans before it became the Spottie.

Stewart's Oasis ran for years & the Karen Hut was also around for "yonks."

My Place run by Tuk lasted 10? years in 2 locations.

The Peacock Coffeeshop in the Montri was a popular late night constellation beauty & ran for years before moving to Thapae to where I think is now a bakery S&P or something.

Oh how the years fly by.

But The Pub on Huay Kaew's been here the longest.

The Pig Pen/Cottage was indeed there around 1985/1986, run by Gaew (he spelt it Kaew). The tour office, Lucky Tours, was run by his sister, though. I remember watching the Song Kran parade in 1986 from their balcony over the tour office.

/ Priceless

Old Frank used to entertain us there with his Hank Williams tunes.

I really liked Frank, a seemingly decent man earning a living amidst decadence. He would sing a set at the Karen Hut, then mosey over to Alan's bar, and then end up at My Place. All the while singing his songs in front of drunks and stoners and hookers and their Johns. He was an ethnic Karen and once in awhile I could even convince him to sing a Karen folk song.

The Pig Pen/Cottage was indeed there around 1985/1986, run by Gaew (he spelt it Kaew). The tour office, Lucky Tours, was run by his sister, though. I remember watching the Song Kran parade in 1986 from their balcony over the tour office.

/ Priceless

P'Kaew ran The Cottage in the mid 80s and at least until 1988. Kaew also ran the Rim Koo Guest House along the northern moat for a year or so. There were no hostesses at the tiny Cottage and no band, but quite the cast of characters between the local expats, many of whom were teachers and embassy folks, and many of whom could speak Thai, a rarity back then, the off duty bar girls, and Kaew's gay friends including the one regular who would show up between his/her sets at the Blue Moon. No need or a corkage fee at the Cottage. If you did not finish your bottle then Kaew wrote your name on it and you started on it anew on the next visit.

The Karen Hut, a block to the north, had already been operating for a few years since relocating from the Prince into a former ice cream shop, maybe around 1982. Occasionally a few lost Thais would enter and sit down before they realized it was a hostess bar for Farangs and not an ice cream shop, and then make a hasty exit. Just down the alley from the Karen Hut along the moat on Chaiyaphum RD was My Place. One would stagger along walking by the fancy French eatery, The Coq D'Or, where you might encounter a bevy of police acting as security for a Royal who had a craving for some French opulence. Then it was across the moat and south of Thapae to Alan's Lovebirds or Stuart's Oasis. And as others have noted, if you wanted to take an even lower downward step into Dante's world, there was always the Las Vegas or the Welshman's Pit, originally with a dirt floor. Howard, the Welshman, always seemed to represent the lowest common denominator of the older ex-pat community. There was another Las Vegas style bar south of the moat towards the airport, but I have forgotten the name. There was also a faux Patpong style bar behind the old night market aimed at the hotel tourists, but not really frequented by the ex-pat community. And for those who spoke Thai and wanted to get a little ethnic there was the Hennessy Club off of Huay Kaew with real old style Ramwong girls and really, really loud music.

As a footnote, I first met Daniel, AKA Deng, of Daniel's Bar as a bartender at the Karen Hut before he pioneered, along with his ill-fated partner Peter and the Linda Bar folks the beginning of the bar scene along Loi Khroh.

Not really full on Pubs, but Tui's little Blues Bar next to the Bier Stube has been going for 20 years as has the Kafe Pub &

Restaurant (my fave hang out), & both in their original locations.

Yeah, cool place the Kafe. It's something like 1985-'86... there's a plaque up by the entrance near where the 'genuine' Burmese sticks are.

The question is, MB; will you still be propping up the Tusker's bar in 2046? :)

I think it more likely that the bar will be propping me up Jackr :)

Thanks everyone for the continuing information. Johpa thanks especially for your interesting contribution.

Blinky was kind enough to do a bit of reminiscing last night which added a little more to my scant knowledge. What was the name of the place on Moon Muang again BB? Mt\y alcohol consumption last night has wiped part of my memory.

Kevin can you expand a bit on Papa Dicks? I've never heard of it before.

Thanks everyone for the continuing information. Johpa thanks especially for your interesting contribution.

Blinky was kind enough to do a bit of reminiscing last night which added a little more to my scant knowledge. What was the name of the place on Moon Muang again BB? Mt\y alcohol consumption last night has wiped part of my memory.

The little joint I mentioned last night and earlier by Davidgtr is the Blues Bar right next to the Bier Stube. Tui has been there for a long, long time.

Papa Dick's died about 10 years ago.

I walked past the Brasserie today and it appeared quite unchanged from the way it has looked for the last two or three years. Whatever stood on the lot immediately to the north of it appears to have been torn down recently.

Papa Dick's was on the road that runs from the White Elephant Shrine in Chang Puak (Nr the Bus Station) towards Santitham. There used to be a few gay bars there ,but I think they all moved further down, and Papa Dick's which, although the name may suggest otherwise, wasn't gay. It was run by an old American guy I think. I only ever went there once with an old Swiss/Cockney guy called Harry who sadly passed away a few years ago. That would be an interesting post 'Chiang Mai expat characters of old'.

Blinky beat me to the original Linda Bar on Moon Muang, but has anyone mentioned Madame Flukes in all its different locations?

Crikey, you're right EweGee. Madam Flukes, last time I remember it was up the road from Papa Dick's on the east side of Chotana Road near the Stadium. A bit of a rip off back then.

I walked past the Brasserie today and it appeared quite unchanged from the way it has looked for the last two or three years. Whatever stood on the lot immediately to the north of it appears to have been torn down recently.

I too can confirm that the Brasserie is alive and well and open for business.

I too can confirm that the Brasserie is alive and well and open for business.

good news - I was mistaken. Must be the building next door I saw.

Just to correct a comment in an earlier post, the Welshmans bar run by that most jovial and customer friendly mine host Howard (AKA Taffy) did not become the Spotlight. It became a motorbike rental and repair shop. Taffy relocated to the corner of Loi Kro (spelling) into what was called the White House renamed the Welshmans Pit.

What's the Spotlight story?

Is it the only gogo run by a farang?

I know the German guy has been running it for years.

Isn't the gogo bar on the soi behind the Night Bazaar run by a farang as well? (Behind those outdoor gay bars where the climbing wall used to be.) Sorry the name of the place slips my mind at the moment.

Edited by elektrified