Historical Pubs In Chiang Mai

miltonbentley

Having only been open for nearly 3 years Tuskers is still a newbie in the game but I was thinking the other day about Chiang Mai pub history especially about establishments that are still trading today.

Which pubs in town have the longest pedigree and when did they open?

Obviously I know a little about the Gymkhana Club, The Pub, Riverside, Warm Up and the UN Irish which have all been around for a goodly while but how long and are there any others I have missed? How old is the Red Lion Kevin?

Also I am particularly interested if there are any Thai pubs that have an 'ancient' pedigree and are worthy of note?

I once worked in a pub that opened its doors in 1412 and have supped in numerous establishments that claim to be the oldest pubs in Britain. While I don't expect anything that old perhaps we can put together a bit of history and hopefully the answers will be interesting for TV members.

Edited by miltonbentley

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Pub would have to be one of the longest running in Chiangmai, unless you count Las vegas which have been there about five years longer :)

It is debatable as to whether Las Vegas could be classified as a pub. It wouldn't be the first place that comes to mind for taking the wife for a quiet pint or a game of darts. They may have some darts somewhere, but probably no dart board?! :D

The Red Lion is a relative newbie compared to The Pub having opened in 1997, just after the handing over of Hong Kong.

I'm not sure if it's okay to mention Mad Dog (the 24 hours isn't up yet) but that has been there for probably 15 years or more I imagine.

The old pub that you worked in opened in 1412? That was a bit late wasn't it? - almost quarter past two!! (the old ones ('jokes') are the best).

I've got an old Hudson's guide to Chiang Mai indoors, I think it was written in the late sixties, the Pub is mentioned and a few hotel bars.

I can only go back 14 years but a few of the bars that were in the Bar Beer Centre when I first arrived are still around in name, Blue Sky Garden is one that springs to mind.

I must admit I thought the Red Lion had been around longer.

Before pressing on with with "historical pubs in chiang mai" I think one should have a definition of what is a "pub"

The Pub on Huey Kaew would certainly fit my idea of a pub, as would the Red Lion (even if they do charge for water)

I would consider the Mad Dog as a pub (and I doubt that it has been there for 15 or more years "as the mad Dog", in fact it hasn't) Las Vegas is a whorehouse, or bordello but could never be considered to be a pub.

Likewise Linda's Bar and Daniel Bar can hardly be classified as pubs.

Domino was a pub, Moon Garden was probably a pub, UN Irish Pub is a pub, and there are a few more but I come back to my earlier comment that you can hardly call a whorehouse a pub "or can you"

Next we will be saying that "housewives choice" is a pub.

c'mon guys the fact that they sell fermented liquor doesn't mean that they are a pub.

This reminds me that I have to visit the RL to see whether the claims about the F & C that they serve up there stand up to scrutiny.

Before pressing on with with "historical pubs in chiang mai" I think one should have a definition of what is a "pub"

The Pub on Huey Kaew would certainly fit my idea of a pub, as would the Red Lion (even if they do charge for water)

I would consider the Mad Dog as a pub (and I doubt that it has been there for 15 or more years "as the mad Dog", in fact it hasn't) Las Vegas is a whorehouse, or bordello but could never be considered to be a pub.

Likewise Linda's Bar and Daniel Bar can hardly be classified as pubs.

Domino was a pub, Moon Garden was probably a pub, UN Irish Pub is a pub, and there are a few more but I come back to my earlier comment that you can hardly call a whorehouse a pub "or can you"

Next we will be saying that "housewives choice" is a pub.

c'mon guys the fact that they sell fermented liquor doesn't mean that they are a pub.

This reminds me that I have to visit the RL to see whether the claims about the F & C that they serve up there stand up to scrutiny.

While I agree with your definition of what is and what is not a pub, I think this topic will die a pretty quick death if we just stick to the pubs :)

I don't think any of them have been around much longer than 15 years except 'The Pub'

Don't forget to take a bottle of water there.

They wanted "corkage" to open a bottle. That was five years ago, and I never went back :)

I've got an old Hudson's guide to Chiang Mai indoors, I think it was written in the late sixties, the Pub is mentioned and a few hotel bars.

I think Major Roy Hudson should have a thread of his own. I've met him a few times, and he seems such a nice guy. I heard he moved here just after the Second World War. Does anyone know his story?

I think Major Roy Hudson should have a thread of his own. I've met him a few times, and he seems such a nice guy. I heard he moved here just after the Second World War. Does anyone know his story?

One of the free tourist magazines maybe Guidelines had a piece on him a couple of years back. If I remember rightly he was out here during the war and returned in the late fifties/sixties?, He must be in his nineties by now.

There can't be many real Pubs that have gone 15-20 years in Chiang Mai, especially in the same location.

Not really full on Pubs, but Tui's little Blues Bar next to the Bier Stube has been going for 20 years as has the Kafe Pub &

Restaurant (my fave hang out), & both in their original locations.

There can't be many real Pubs that have gone 15-20 years in Chiang Mai, especially in the same location.

Not really full on Pubs, but Tui's little Blues Bar next to the Bier Stube has been going for 20 years as has the Kafe Pub &

Restaurant (my fave hang out), & both in their original locations.

I didn't realise the Kafe had been around so long, I have pleasant memories of sitting outside here with a now departed friend watching the Rydges being built and enjoying there happy hour

They wanted "corkage" to open a bottle. That was five years ago, and I never went back :D

Sad, but true. :)

Linda Bar has to be way up there after some twenty odd years, and the first on Loi Kroh closely followed by Daniel bar, which now has a different name to protect the guilty :)

Hate to take (minor) issue with a fellow Loi Kroh veteran but, well, here goes.

The first bar in Loi Kroh was in fact the tiny Marin Bar, almost opposite Linda but a tad closer to the moat. And still there and still (as I hear it) clean and non-rip-off.

The Pub on Huay Kaew was first opened (around 1967) by the fine English landlord Michael Tinker, then retired from the tobacco industry here. When he retired from The Pub and took his Thai family back to England, he found he couldn't retire at all, and opened a lovely little pub just off the M1 in Leics, with 5 guest ales on the bar and good, cheap, real Thai food. Cancer of the throat got him, tragically, around 1990.

In 1992, the only western outfits around Thapae Gate were The Black Cat (later Cheers), where the front bar of Le Naga Hotel is now, and Domino on Moon Muang, where The Gate Inn is now.

Later, some influential person put a roof over the small soi between Domino and Top North Hotel and called it The Bar Beer Centre. Domino responded by opening a pool table/darts type bar at the back, bordering the ally, and called Up 2 U. This place will be better known to some in it's later incarnation as True Blue (front) and Outback (back).

I think (someone will doubtless correct me) that on the other side of the Gate, very close to where the excellent Gecko Books is now, there was a tiny bar called Jungle Hut or The Karen Hut. Maybe run by Austrian Wolfgang? Still here, still very pleasant. But working on a less ambitious project!

Back to Moon Muang and very close to John's Place (I dimly recall the 2 girl shower show on the bar) was another tiny bar run by a very likeable, tall young Swiss lady. The Bamboo Hut? A really unusual YOUNG expat who was in love with her small dog. Somehow, the dog was stolen and she returned broken hearted to the Alps, I think.

Other than The Good Ole Kafe and Bier Stube, Mad Dog is very recent, as is everything else mentioned already.

The nice thing about having so FEW western style places in the early 90's was that one met almost EVERY interesting newcomer to town. Without staggering more than 100m per night!

I think the Wetherspoons on the Lampoon road may be one of the earlist, open ince 14.45

the Dead Soi Dog in Bummerhangin rd has been there a while

Mike Hunt was a cheap source of something or other in the 70's

and the 'do remeber not to post when pissed' will be sadly missed :)

David (Or is it?)

Having only been open for nearly 3 years Tuskers is still a newbie in the game but I was thinking the other day about Chiang Mai pub history especially about establishments that are still trading today.

Which pubs in town have the longest pedigree and when did they open?

Obviously I know a little about the Gymkhana Club, The Pub, Riverside, Warm Up and the UN Irish which have all been around for a goodly while but how long and are there any others I have missed? How old is the Red Lion Kevin?

Also I am particularly interested if there are any Thai pubs that have an 'ancient' pedigree and are worthy of note?

I once worked in a pub that opened its doors in 1412 and have supped in numerous establishments that claim to be the oldest pubs in Britain. While I don't expect anything that old perhaps we can put together a bit of history and hopefully the answers will be interesting for TV members.

I was in 'The Pub' on huay kaew the other day and was told that they are about to celebrate their 40th Anniversary...

They wanted "corkage" to open a bottle. That was five years ago, and I never went back :D

Actually, it wasn't "corkage" it was corkage. A standard charge in most establishments.

What intrigues me about this comment is this....

It's one thing being a cheapskate but, why would you want to share that with everyone? :)

Sad, but true. :)

I resent paying corkage so I won't have anything to uncork, but I will happen by to check out the veracity of your claims re your F & C :D

Actually, it wasn't "corkage" it was corkage. A standard charge in most establishments.

It's one thing being a cheapskate but, why would you want to share that with everyone? :)

Off topic, but I'll tell you why. As a two or three times a week regular at your Haus Munchen, you never imposed corkage charges on me, as you didn't for all your regular customers. When that closed I transfered my custom to the Red Lion, and enjoyed the same status quo, untill some smart mouthed manager said I had to pay corkage when I was with five guests one night. This same "manager" was a person who knew me very well, and a person I had befriended financially in the past when he was in a less than "comfortable" position. (i.e. broke) This is probably what annoyed me the most, as people here seem to have such short memories, sad to say.

The Hofbrau Haus got our 3000 baht custom that night, and no corkage! Thai restaurants never seem to impose this "European custom" and of course it's your decision what you choose to do, but in these economically challenging times, can you afford to be so blase? (sorry no accents on this keyboard) :D As far as being a cheapskate.....Just a cheap Scouse shot, which needs ignoring.

:D

The first bar in Loi Kroh was in fact the tiny Marin Bar, almost opposite Linda but a tad closer to the moat.

You may well be right, but if my fading memory serves me correctly, the Marin bar as it is now, was the original Daniel bar, and I think it did predate Linda by but a whisker.

The other watering hole of note was the infamous Oasis bar, which became the original "Cosy Corner" trying to emulate it's namesake in Bangkok as one of the narrowist bars on the planet.

The first bar in Loi Kroh was in fact the tiny Marin Bar, almost opposite Linda but a tad closer to the moat.

You may well be right, but if my fading memory serves me correctly, the Marin bar as it is now, was the original Daniel bar, and I think it did predate Linda by but a whisker.

The other watering hole of note was the infamous Oasis bar, which became the original "Cosy Corner" trying to emulate it's namesake in Bangkok as one of the narrowist bars on the planet.

Correct re the Marin/Daniel Bar.

The original Linda Bar was on Moonmuang Road.

The original Karen hut was in the Prince Hotel before moving to the Ghecko Soi, it wasn't a tiny joint as described by Flatoutinthefog but a full shophouse. Old Frank used to entertain us there with his Hank Williams tunes.

Off topic, but I'll tell you why. As a two or three times a week regular at your Haus Munchen, you never imposed corkage charges on me, as you didn't for all your regular customers. When that closed I transfered my custom to the Red Lion, and enjoyed the same status quo, untill some smart mouthed manager said I had to pay corkage when I was with five guests one night. This same "manager" was a person who knew me very well, and a person I had befriended financially in the past when he was in a less than "comfortable" position. (i.e. broke) This is probably what annoyed me the most, as people here seem to have such short memories, sad to say.

The Hofbrau Haus got our 3000 baht custom that night, and no corkage! Thai restaurants never seem to impose this "European custom" and of course it's your decision what you choose to do, but in these economically challenging times, can you afford to be so blase? (sorry no accents on this keyboard) :D As far as being a cheapskate.....Just a cheap Scouse shot, which needs ignoring.

:D

Are you sure you were a 2-3 times a week regular at Haus Munchen? (sorry no umlauts on this keyboard) , I'm sure I would have remembered such a high-roller. I'm not sure who the smart-mouthed manager was but he was only doing his job, irrespective of his indebtedness to you. The fact that the Hofbrauhaus Restaurant didn't charge is a great surprise and I'd put that down as an oversight rather than a policy. The policy of corkage in restaurants may well vary but the issue of corkage in pubs and bars is quite different.

I never saw people taking their own bottle into a pub until I came to Thailand. Very rarely, someone might take their favourite wine to a restaurant and expect to pay corkage, but to go out drinking for the night and take your own bottle was unheard of.  I know Thais allow you to take your own bottle to a restaurant but the difference is that they nearly always eat as well as drink. I see Farangs dragging their bottle from bar to bar ordering a coke or soda and ice and enjoying the ambience of a place but making no real contribution to it. That, for me, is the issue about corkage. If you go to a restaurant and order a significant amount of food maybe it is viable for them not to have to charge corkage, but if you are only drinking is the profit from coke and ice enough to pay the bills? Methinks not. Espescially in places with Live music or lots of hostesses.

I remember going out for a drink with some guys after a TV party and one of the guys (no names) asked for his half-bottle of Sangsom that was behind the bar at the little place we went to. It had about about one inch at the bottom and his signature next to the line marking it. He had a bottle of coke, which he got two drinks out of,  and that was his contribution to their takings that night! I'm sure they don't appreciate such custom but they tolerate it. Personally, I think it's taking the piss. I calculated that the contents of his bottle that he returned for was worth maybe 15 baht. :D

Anyway, 'corkage' has never been an issue at The Red Lion because my business is mostly tourists and they never bring their own bottle. Also, I can't remember the last time a local customer brought their own bottle (it happens so rarely), but charging them corkage has never been a problem. I must be attracting the right crowd - something to do with the 'No Riff Raff' sign maybe?

Back on topic. I remember the original 'Linda Bar' on Moon muang. It had the hardest looking women of any bar I've ever been in , but the thing that stuck in my mind was the continual checking of my shoes that I did because I was always thinking 'What is that smell?!!' . It wasn't something I'd stood in but rather the smell of the place. The new Linda's bar was a huge improvement, mainly as regards to cleanliness.

Edited by KevinHunt

Old? Lamphun is 1200 years old. Old? Olmecs, 1200 BCE. A British pub is the new kid in town.

Yes PB but are any of their pubs still trading?

Ye Olde Fighting Cocks in St Albans dates from the 8th century! Has Lamphun any drinking establishment that can match that? :)

I've been to Lamphun, but I've never been to St. Albans. No comment about Fighting Cocks. :D

Chas, just kidding. British pubs are oooolde.

Was there a line at the door of people waiting for a seat to open up?

If not, then why are you so judgmental at the rate people spend or don't spend money? You are very quick to label people and look down on them.

God forbid someone should wander past your place and decide just to have a cup of tea and a glass of water while they decide what to do next only to have a farang sneering at them for being cheapskates and having the nerve to cross his threshold and not order a 3 course meal with ten bottles of beer.

Why don't you just charge an entry fee redeemable against food and drinks since you think everyone should spend a minimum amount you determine is correct?