Historical Pubs In Chiang Mai

miltonbentley

Isn't the gogo bar on the soi behind the Night Bazaar run by a farang as well? (Behind those outdoor gay bars where the climbing wall used to be.) Sorry the name of the place slips my mind at the moment.

Do you mean the Foxy Lady? I know the mamasan from Spotlight moved over to there sometime ago.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Isn't the gogo bar on the soi behind the Night Bazaar run by a farang as well? (Behind those outdoor gay bars where the climbing wall used to be.) Sorry the name of the place slips my mind at the moment.

Do you mean the Foxy Lady? I know the mamasan from Spotlight moved over to there sometime ago.

Isn't 'she' a daddysan? :)

What's the Spotlight story?

Is it the only gogo run by a farang?

I know the German guy has been running it for years.

I haven't been in there for years but I always though the owner was the spitting image of Brummie 'comedian' Jasper Carrot

Edited by anonymouse

Spotlight as I remember, was run by two guys, the German who's name escapes me and Bob who I think was English, now deceased.

Can't say that the German looked like Jasper Carrot but there was a bar owner from the Moon Maung area who was the double of Brit comedian Charlie Drake, any one recall his name?

Papa Dicks that was a name from the past.

In case anyone is curious I have hijacked my Thai wife,s account as I am too lazy to open my own.

I thought I would get my addled brain cells working to remember CNX drinking establishments that had not been mentioned.

Southsea bar first floor night bazar overlooking Chang Klan road. One of the first farang run bars to have a pool/snooker table.

Does no one remember that CNX bar owner who operated TWO bars at the same time? I refer to Mark who ran the Karen Hut (possibly under a different name) and the Dew Drop Inn at the corner of Loi Kroh.

The logic of having two bars was that you only need to stock one bar, if the bottle of vodka is in the Dew Drop Inn some one from the Karen Hut can jump on a bike and go get it.

This bar was also remembered because the bar counter was constructed about six feet high and the bar stools were two feet high so one sat with their drink above their head staring at formica. The other tables and chairs were concrete garden furniture. It's crowning glory was the rice husks spread all over the floor. Why I have no idea!

As it was on the opposite corner to the Pit a previous poster may have got the two mixed up regarding a dirt floor in the Pit. The claim to fame that the Pit had, was the ceiling fan that was five feet above the floor spinning ready to decapitate.

The original Hard Rock was very close to Thapae Gate.

Aaa the memories

Ps

The German at the spotlight was/is Horst

The first farang bar to have go go was the Welshman,s Bar.

Taffy constructed a one person go go stage with is own fair hands. When he had about six punters in, he would pass the hat around and his one and only go go dancer would perform. But that,s another story.

Blinky beat me to the original Linda Bar on Moon Muang, but has anyone mentioned Madame Flukes in all its different locations?

Crikey, you're right EweGee. Madam Flukes, last time I remember it was up the road from Papa Dick's on the east side of Chotana Road near the Stadium. A bit of a rip off back then.

I had an idea that Madam Flukes was on the left side of Sridonchai heading east (towards the river) opposite side to the Chiang Mai Plaza hotel, but it may have moved since.

While some of us older farts are reminiscing - what about the Sweet Room, that used to be on Ratchawithi, just up from the UN Irish Pub? This joint was the forerunner of the Riverside, & probably the start of the live farang music scene in Chiang Mai? John "Riverside" + Surapong + a few others used to jam here most nights. Then came the Riverside.

The Sweet Room folded not long after & I think the Sweet opened with a live band playing farang music in the old Kotchasarn Hotel for a few years.

Blinky beat me to the original Linda Bar on Moon Muang, but has anyone mentioned Madame Flukes in all its different locations?

Crikey, you're right EweGee. Madam Flukes, last time I remember it was up the road from Papa Dick's on the east side of Chotana Road near the Stadium. A bit of a rip off back then.

I had an idea that Madam Flukes was on the left side of Sridonchai heading east (towards the river) opposite side to the Chiang Mai Plaza hotel, but it may have moved since.

Madame Flukes, forgot all about that one. It was originally round the back of the old stadium, not far down from the bus station, and within crawling distance of Pappa Dick's. I noticed the other day they had demolished the original building, which had been there for years.

While some of us older farts are reminiscing - what about the Sweet Room, that used to be on Ratchawithi, just up from the UN Irish Pub? This joint was the forerunner of the Riverside, & probably the start of the live farang music scene in Chiang Mai? John "Riverside" + Surapong + a few others used to jam here most nights. Then came the Riverside.

The Sweet Room folded not long after & I think the Sweet opened with a live band playing farang music in the old Kotchasarn Hotel for a few years.

1980 Guide book. Sweet Room 38/4 Rajawithi Road