Things To Do With Elderly Parents In Bkk?

tonititan

I'm trying to think of things to do when my elderly parents (with bad knees) come to visit. Some of the typical tourist activities will be more difficult or impossible. Walking around for hours looking at temples or browsing markets is not an option due to the knees. Khlong boats or longtails aren't good either - too hard to get in and out. Theaters/cultural shows are a good option, as are museums. Any suggestions of other things to do in Bangkok that don't require a lot of walking?

I'm also looking for some day trips that aren't too hard on the body. Because of my parents' ages, I'm willing to do some packaged tours with a tour company. My parents probably aren't up for the adventure of do-it-yourself trips. But living here, I don't even know where those tour companies go! Anyone know of good tour companies or day trip destinations?

Thanks in advance.

I'm trying to think of things to do when my elderly parents (with bad knees) come to visit. Some of the typical tourist activities will be more difficult or impossible. Walking around for hours looking at temples or browsing markets is not an option due to the knees. Khlong boats or longtails aren't good either - too hard to get in and out. Theaters/cultural shows are a good option, as are museums. Any suggestions of other things to do in Bangkok that don't require a lot of walking?

I'm also looking for some day trips that aren't too hard on the body. Because of my parents' ages, I'm willing to do some packaged tours with a tour company. My parents probably aren't up for the adventure of do-it-yourself trips. But living here, I don't even know where those tour companies go! Anyone know of good tour companies or day trip destinations?

Thanks in advance.

My mother successfully went on the day trip to Ayutthaya, out by coach stopping at Bang Pa In and Ayutthaya and then back on the river. Most river cruise companies offer this, we used Grand Pearl. My mother can get up and down the steps into and out of a coach (slowly) and getting on and off the boat was fine with a bit of steadying. When in Ayutthaya she had enough walking about quite quickly but they let us sit on the coach with no problem while the rest came back. We used the same company for an evening dinner cruise which she also coped with fine. She coped with the auditorium steps in Siam Niramit as mentioned above but she found it a bit loud! Dining right by the river she also enjoyed, e.g. The Shangri-La terrace. We also went on the local train from Wong Wian Yai to Mahachai and return, it takes about 60 mins. each way.

Vimanmek Palace is very nice, though there are some stairs.

Kukrit Pramoj's house in the soi between Suan Plu and Naratiwat Rajanakarin is very pleasant and no physical challenges. Beautiful old Thai house and Sala; lovely gardens and a cemetery for Kukrit's beloved dogs. You can get tea and coffee there. I haven't been there since 2007, but it probably hasn't changed much. Check which days it's open. Only cost about 50 baht entrance.

Jim Thompson's is a good place, but some stairs there, too.

A general recommendation: Keep in mind the intense heat of Thailand whatever you plan for your parents. Unless they are coming from somewhere like Florida where it is also hot and humid, they may be really uncomfortable doing many things outdoors due to the heat alone much less their physical issues. Perhaps the need to be in a/c most of the time will be important as you decide their itinerary.

Hope they have a great time in the LOS!

A general recommendation: Keep in mind the intense heat of Thailand whatever you plan for your parents. Unless they are coming from somewhere like Florida where it is also hot and humid, they may be really uncomfortable doing many things outdoors due to the heat alone much less their physical issues. Perhaps the need to be in a/c most of the time will be important as you decide their itinerary.

Yeah, good point about the a/c. Luckily, I convinced them to come in Dec./Jan., so hopefully the weather won't be too miserable for them.

Yeah, good point about the a/c. Luckily, I convinced them to come in Dec./Jan., so hopefully the weather won't be too miserable for them.

Very good. I love December and January in Thailand. Wise on your part.

Afternoon tea at one of the riverside 5* hotels, where they can sit by the picture windows (aircon comfort), and watch the river traffic - fascinating.

In fact tea/coffee/toilet stop at any 5* hotel, is a good way of passing time, it can take a while to wander the public areas checking out the locale.

How old is old?

Any shopping mall is a cool place to be - especially up scale ones like Paragon, Emporium, Gaysorn.

An excellent tour, is a night time drive down Ratchadamnoern Rd past the Royal Palace, UN Building, Parliament Building, lots of illuminated buildings, finishing off with a drive through the Flower Market. The density of traffic there will allow time to appreciate the colours and busy workers as you drive along.

Don't underestimate the fact that they will want lots of down time!

Bring them to Silom, and park them there.

But make sure you park mommy in boy town.

:)

Silly joke aside.

Most decent hotels can get you a good guide, and arrange for comfortable transportation.

The options in the near areas of BKK is almost limitless.

Im sure any hotel can help you out.

Go to the best Sunday Brunch in the town (statement of U.S. dining magazine)

It's located at Marriott Resort and Spa Hotel.

Every Sunday from 11.30 to 15.00 hrs with jazz music.

You can sit inside or outside near the river. You have to do a reservation at least 2 days before.

About 1800 TBH for each with free drinks incl. wine and cocktails (1600 TBH without wine).

Go to the biggest seafood restaurant in the town.

It's named Seafood Market and Restaurant.

Address: 89 Sukhumvit Soi 24 , Sukhumvit Rd., Bangkok 101

Phone: 02 661-1255-9

directions: In one of the "sois" (alleys) between Sukhumvit Road and Rama IV Road. Skytrain stop: Nana.

Gerd

Go to the best Sunday Brunch in the town (statement of U.S. dining magazine)

It's located at Marriott Resort and Spa Hotel.

Every Sunday from 11.30 to 15.00 hrs with jazz music.

You can sit inside or outside near the river. You have to do a reservation at least 2 days before.

About 1800 TBH for each with free drinks incl. wine and cocktails (1600 TBH without wine).

Go to the biggest seafood restaurant in the town.

It's named Seafood Market and Restaurant.

Address: 89 Sukhumvit Soi 24 , Sukhumvit Rd., Bangkok 101

Phone: 02 661-1255-9

directions: In one of the "sois" (alleys) between Sukhumvit Road and Rama IV Road. Skytrain stop: Nana.

Gerd

If it's Sukh. soi 24 - then the skytrain stop is Phrom Phong :)

Muang Boran aka The Ancient City near Samut Prakan. Outstanding place for new travelers or old hands. Rent a golf cart and enjoy almost 1000 rai of important chedis, statues, palaces ... All the displays have english language descriptions .. It's an all-day type place, but very good and reasonably priced food and cold drinks are available.

Website