Identify This Snake

saintofsilence

Almost impossible to tell what it is from such a small photo. Possibly a Keelback, but the experts might have a better idea. Most Thai snakes are not venomous and very few of the dangerous ones are aggressive. They need to feel threatened before they will attack. That includes the cobras. That said, however, it would be a bit scary to have one drop out of a tree in front of you.

Copper headed rat snake? It's difficult to tell from that picture. Anyway, it's definately not one of the poisenous ones. So don't worry. These are the ones you've got to watch out for: http://www.saovabha.com/en/snakefarm.asp

My best guess is that its a "tree snake or often called as a "flying snake". Flying snakes are a small group of species of tree snakes that live in South and Southeast Asia. At rest they appear unremarkable, but on the move they're able to take to the air by jumping from the tree, flattening the entire body, and gliding or parachuting to the ground or another tree.

ornata-portrait-8-S.jpg

aerial-paradisi-sm.jpg

Edited by xv1100

30082009543.jpg

I was walking along Pattaya Beach a couple of days ago and this snake dropped out of a tree and landed in front of my feet and then went back up the coconut tree.

can anyone tell me the name of it.

Maybe a ThaksinShinawatra Viper.... can be dangerous and even deadly, but runs away if faced with trouble

30082009543.jpg

I was walking along Pattaya Beach a couple of days ago and this snake dropped out of a tree and landed in front of my feet and then went back up the coconut tree.

Maybe a ThaksinShinawatra Viper.... can be dangerous and even deadly, but runs away if faced with trouble

:) Too funny!

It gave me quite a surprise as it came so close and hit the ground hard. It was then very quick getting away now another thing to watch out for falling flying snakes.

I would probably have jumped as high as that tree.

However, my wife just told me they are everywhere, very common, and absolutely NOT dangerous to people.

Definitely a Golden tree snake.

Not poisonous and normally quite happy to be close to people, they don't tend to move away.

but be cautious around them.. they are mildly venomous and will, like most snakes, try to bite you if you physically try to handle/move or get too close one.

I always advise people to steer well clear of any 'green' snakes in Thailand. The majority are quite dangerous and most laypeople at a glance & upon suddenly discovering one near themselves, wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a relatively harmless Golden tree snake and many of the similar looking, & very harmful, Pit Vipers..

just remember: green is mean (mostly :) )

but be cautious around them.. they are mildly venomous and will, like most snakes, try to bite you if you physically try to handle/move or get too close one.

I always advise people to steer well clear of any 'green' snakes in Thailand. The majority are quite dangerous and most laypeople at a glance & upon suddenly discovering one near themselves, wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a relatively harmless Golden tree snake and many of the similar looking, & very harmful, Pit Vipers..

Good advice, Goshawk. I was hoping you would chip in. The head on pit vipers is much different, but getting close enough to tell means you could be in the danger zone. It's best to let the snakes alone unless they are in your home or yard.

In Pattaya you say?

Definately your "one eyed trouser snake".

Very common species often found between Jomtien and Walking Street :)

Absolutely correct. Definately a trouser snake, it can be pacified by sacrificing (providing) a bar girl to it, this normally causes it to spit but this is normal and is not ordinarily dangerous.

Good advice, Goshawk. I was hoping you would chip in. The head on pit vipers is much different, but getting close enough to tell means you could be in the danger zone. It's best to let the snakes alone unless they are in your home or yard.

To be honest why would anyone want to pick one up , I was taught to live and let live and leave alone

[

To be honest why would anyone want to pick one up , I was taught to live and let live and leave alone

If they get into your home or garage then it's best to remove them. I know very few people who allow snakes to roam freely around the home. Picking them up requires experience or the proper tools. Thia snake handlers do it all the time... even with wild snakes. I wouldn't kill a snake unless it presented a hazard.

• 2 weeks later...
[

If they get into your home or garage then it's best to remove them. I know very few people who allow snakes to roam freely around the home. Picking them up requires experience or the proper tools. Thia snake handlers do it all the time... even with wild snakes. I wouldn't kill a snake unless it presented a hazard.

We had one of these in our house last year, after a couple of sightings in the garden. Apparently (I was at work) it was quite happy until the missus went at it with the broom, when it left quickly. Just like me in the same circumstances, come to think of it. :D

Nothing unusual for you out in the sticks types, I'm sure, but quite a surpise for me considering I live in Phrakhanong, 5 minutes walk from the skytrain station! Not exactly Nakhon Nowhere.

A few weeks later they caught a 'big' (according to the wife) python on some waste ground in the soi behind our moo baan (Soi Pridi 5). :)

30082009543.jpg

that is a golden tree snake a species of gliding snake very common non-venomous snake in thailand.

• 3 weeks later...

Green Tree Snake

Not dangerous, but always best to let them alone. Had this one surprise me today - I think he came in the front door and made his way behind me (sitting at my computer) and I noticed him at the back screen door when I went to make some lunch. Startled me, but I played about with the camera, got these two shots, and then opened the door for him. Quick exit.

post-77830-1255599517_thumb.jpg

post-77830-1255599840_thumb.jpg