Maybe Buying Isuzu Grand Adventure

rohitsuk

I am thinking of buying an Isuzu Grand Adventure second hand which seems like a lot of vehicle for the prices being asked.

I am new to SUVs and would appreciate any advice form present or past owners or SUV experts since I cannot find a road test review in English for the GA although Isuzu pick-up reviews seem very favourable.

Many thanks

I am thinking of buying an Isuzu Grand Adventure second hand which seems like a lot of vehicle for the prices being asked.

I am new to SUVs and would appreciate any advice form present or past owners or SUV experts since I cannot find a road test review in English for the GA although Isuzu pick-up reviews seem very favourable.

By reading through the posts in the thread, Want To Buy An SUV, in this forum, you'll first learn that everyone has different points of focus - let alone preferences. So I would recommend specifying exactly what you're looking for in a vehicle....if you know.....

If you're not sure, I'll try to get you started:

- I like the SUV for it's higher profile: This is good for both distant traffic visability as well as ground clearance during the occasional flood areas. The 4x4 aspect gives you the assurance that you have extra gripping power and control when roads are wet and theoretically slippery.

- After comparing all the models, I've decided on the MU-7 (like my man Angiud) because:

- It's interior seats 7, comfortably, - IMHO - and is better appointed: Has an unsurpassed interior sound DVD, Blue Tooth and Mp3 system - all with a luxurious look.

- It's 3.0 diesel rules (more torque) and parts are readily available. The diesel engine has fewer moving internal parts and as a result lasts far longer than gasoline/petrol engines, it gets good gas mileage and is chain driven versus belt driven for the other contenders (rubber belts theoretically wear faster than metal chains-a plus on the mechanical longevity side.

- It has 4x4 On-the-Fly meaning that you engage the 4x4 drive mode by merely pushing a button, otherwise you're in 2 wheel (rear wheel) drive mode. 4x4 mode is more taxing on all your tires while rear 2-wheel drive mode is applying torque only to the rear wheels - rotate your tires a constant intervals so they will wear more evenly. Some of the competition are full time 4x4....you don't need that in everyday driving. I prefer to have it there to use when I need it.

- Its lowest price means you get more car, performance and features for your money.

- The negatives - IMHO - is that though it's improved, it could look a little more aerodynamic on the exterior and it has leaf springs, though that's not a big deal in my book because it still rides well in my estimation.

- With the 2010 Isuzu Mu-7 model rumored(?) to be coming out with coil springs, I just may put off my pending new purchase until then......I'm planning to keep it forever: 10-15+ years, no problem with its durable workhorse engine!

I've always like the MU-7 suv as well. My only concern is it being so large is with parking in Pattaya.

What is the difference between the MU-7 Platinum series and the MU-7 Gold and Executive series models?

Also, do you know if the 2010 model will have upgraded to disc brakes all around or will they keep the rear drums?

Angiud, which model / engine do you have? Did you keep the change the tires / wheels?

I've always like the MU-7 suv as well. My only concern is it being so large is with parking in Pattaya.

The street planners of some of these LOS cities unfortunately didn't have the Mu7 in mind! :)

Also, do you know if the 2010 model will have upgraded to disc brakes all around or will they keep the rear drums?

Excellent question! If they were to join the 21st century and upgraded to disc brakes all around - and lose the leaf springs and add coil springs instead, they would clean up! Would you keep us posted if you hear anything?

Edited by thailoht

Angiud, which model / engine do you have? Did you keep the change the tires / wheels?

MU 7 Gold Activo manual - No, still with the original tyres, but I'll change soon.

The street planners of some of these LOS cities unfortunately didn't have the Mu7 in mind! :)

Yes, not so easy to manouvre and a not so big steering radius. Plus, not a so good rear visibility, hence the reverse camera! :D

Excellent question! If they were to join the 21st century and upgraded to disc brakes all around - and lose the leaf springs and add coil springs instead, they would clean up! Would you keep us posted if you hear anything?

Yes, miss a little, but not so much, rear coils and 4 discs brake.

hi, i just bought a 2month old MU-7 platinum.

Initially looked at the GA too, but didn't really like the exterior styling compared to the MU-7, i.e. the rear end so took it off my list. Although prices for 2nd hand models were similar i think

I test drove the MU-7, fortuner(deisel) and pajero sport.

I thought both the MU-7 and fortuner drove pretty well, with good power, ride, low wind noise. The pajero was quite noisy at 100k/h and interior was not as nice.

Overall happy with the MU-7 so far, only 2 things to mention, if you are coming up form a small car (like a Jazz) doing U-turns can be tricky in BKK due to the wide turning circle (of all SUV's whatever you choose) and reversing can take a bit getting used to as well.

Hi, I just bought a 2month old MU-7 platinum.

Initially looked at the GA too, but didn't really like the exterior styling compared to the MU-7, i.e. the rear end so took it off my list. Although prices for 2nd hand models were similar I think.

I thought both the MU-7 and Fortuner drove pretty well, with good power, ride, low wind noise. The Pajero was quite noisy at 100k/h and interior was not as nice.

Overall happy with the MU-7 so far, only 2 things to mention, if you are coming up form a small car (like a Jazz) doing U-turns can be tricky in BKK due to the wide turning circle (of all SUV's whatever you choose) and reversing can take a bit getting used to as well.

Cool! Do you have the petrol or diesel engine? If the diesel, how is its overall noise level, in your estimation? How does its noise level compare to that of the Fortuner?

Cool! Do you have the petrol or diesel engine? If the diesel, how is its overall noise level, in your estimation? How does its noise level compare to that of the Fortuner?

All Isuzu are diesel engine, All Isuzu are chain driven so have a distinctive louder engine noise.. At least you will never have a wrecked engine because of a broken belt.

All Isuzu are diesel engine, All Isuzu are chain driven so have a distinctive louder engine noise.. At least you will never have a wrecked engine because of a broken belt.

Another excellent point! That factor alone rates high on my scale since I buy for longevity - and peace of mind as when traveling the back roads from Phu Kiao to Klong Yi Sib, after sunset in my MU-7 with its 305,775 km on the odometer!

Hi, I just bought a 2month old MU-7 platinum.

Initially looked at the GA too, but didn't really like the exterior styling compared to the MU-7, i.e. the rear end so took it off my list. Although prices for 2nd hand models were similar I think.

I thought both the MU-7 and Fortuner drove pretty well, with good power, ride, low wind noise. The Pajero was quite noisy at 100k/h and interior was not as nice.

hey i got the auto diesel engine 3.0 VGS, pretty quiet, can easily have a conversation, listen to music etc. Although it does get a bit noisy above 130km/h (was just checking out at that speed)

I only drove the fortuner diesel for about 10 mins and it wasn't overly noisy at 100k/h but went for the MU-7 as seemed to get more for the money and I actually like the exterior styling, although i do prefer the fortuner dashboard though.

One thing that doesn't seem to be that good for me at the moment is the GPS as even though there is english, the destinations are still in thai script...