Suvarnabhumi Airport Link Sets Soft Launch For December 5

george

It is run by the SRT (State Railway of Thailand), the same company that runs all other trains in Thailand except the BTS and MRTA (not sure about the acronym MRTA, I mean the subway)

opalhort

Mass Rapid Transit Authority

Edited by Lancashirelad

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It all depends how much the service costs, the tourists will still have to get a cab at the other end, i'll just use a taxi from the top floor at the airport as always and avoid the 50 baht sting. :D

I read somewhere couple of month ago a ride may cost between 15-150 Baht depending on what kind of train service you choose. Fast train (no stops 150 Baht) or stop at every station (between 15-45 Baht).

I'm the amateur here and I read this at the start of the discussion. :)

lets see what its like on December 6

After having spent so much money to improve transportation, the least we can do as

tourists, is to thank the Government. I look forward to riding it as well! I am sure further improvements will be made once its in use and any grey areas identified!

Congratulations. One step ahead in establishing different railway systems that are and always will be completely incompatible and incongruously, namely:

1. The 'classic' SRT with it's shaking and vibrating 1000mm gauge

2. The skytrain (in the sky) with 1435mm gauge

3. The MRT in the underground, operated by another company, with another tickets, another train and electrification system

4. The airport link, operated by the SRT, now suddenly with an overhead contact line (skytrain an underground get power trough railway based electrical lines!)

The last three ones build within only 10 years with absolutely NO way of upgrading, extension or connection between the lines.

Mai bpen drai. What London, NY, Paris or Tokyo do mustn't be good for Bangkok. So keep the transportmafia rolling.

4. Common ticketing system can be implemented very easily. All systems are now using the same RFID devices and gates. The main problem is just management nightmare where each operator doesn't really wanna talk with each other and set up a system that works.

Sad commentary that puts customer service and convenience far on the back burner behind the turf wars. Sad commentary on ineffective politicians who can't use the force of government to make the parties hammer out an agreement for the good of the Thai public, expat community, and the millions of tourists Thailand sees every year.

I still remember my delightful trip to Hong Kong (2007) where you can buy one card (the Octopus, aptly named), and with it, ride just about anything that moves. True, it doesn't take rocket science...just putting the public good ahead of one's turf.

Edited by toptuan

I live just up from the city link. Costs me under 200 baht to get to airport (+25 if i want to use the expressway.) So dont see why most would bother with the train to save maybe 50 baht.

Obviously with 2 or more people a taxi is a complete no-brainer.

Likewise, I regularly take the taxi to the airport from the Ramada Hotel (old D'Ma Pavilion) which is a stone's throw from the Airport City Terminal Station. Cost: 150 baht, regularly. Taxi is immeasurably more convenient, with true door-to-door service.

Rail link will be good back up for bad-traffic hours or inclement weather which normally slows street traffic to a crawl.

I always stay at Nana so what I gather from the last three pages to get there I would take the airport train to the last stop.Then have a 15 minute walk to a air train station which i could then ride to Polen Chit or Nana air train station.We usally can negotiate a taxi from the airport to Nana for 450Baht so maybe if two or more of us,a taxi will still be the way to travel.Be back end of october to December what with a new airport train and Thai Air now flying straight back to Brisbane and free tourist visa's for a year I'm just glad I'm a member of Thai Visa .com or I wouldn't know none of this new's keep up the good work.cheers

It's a 15 min journey from the terminal (Makkasan) to airport. Very smooth and very fast (standing wouldn't be too tough if the train is not over crowded).

Layout for express is typical 2x2 seating - on the slower local train - like Skytrain is now - lengthways.

You can check in luggage and people at the terminal (not sure if all airlines or just Thai - there are not enough desks for every airline unless they somehow have a plan to staqgger or combine check ins) and lose the big bags there.

Not sure if the express goes on to Phaya Thai or just the local service.

I was on a trial run last week - was very impressed with both speed and comfort.

5 minute walk from MRTA Petchaburi (but the footpath is not suitcase friendly and the assumption seems to be that passengers will come by taxi / car.

I cannot fathom out how the return journey works though. I assume you have to reclaim baggage at the airport still and somehow it gets rechecked in for the journey to the City terminal as there is a special (secure?) place for baggage on the train.

Bound to be teething problems but time will sort those out hopefully.

Taxis will still be more cost effective for 3 or more people (just) but if you take account of the hassle, the tips, the expressway tolls, the airport surcharge plus the (hopefully) speed and convenience of checking in, getting there quickly etc. it's a hard one to call. You do, of course, still have to get there and that makes the continued use of taxis more likely.

If you look at the time and cost it will take most people to get there, wait for the train, there is still unlikely to be much real advantage to most.

I wish it luck - if nothing else, it's a great ride!!!

It wouldn't be Thai Visa without the complaining....

Several posters mention Tokyo, London, Paris..... now mention Bangkok....

Tokyo, Narita anyhow, anywhere costs 40 usd, and that gets you to Tokyo station from Narita, five stories down in the basement. After going five stories up, you can then connect to a train going somewhere else or a taxi if you can find your way out of the station (over one hour train). When you get to whereever you are going, you get to carry your luggage down a flight of stairs, and don't expect ANYONE to help you...

Tokyo-Narita & Bangkok-Swampy are comparing apples and oranges on cost. The distance in Japan is nearly 3 times the distance, and the train is one of their ultra-modern high speed/high-tech trains.

And on service? What's this about "don't expect anyone to help you with your luggage"? I've yet to have anyone lug my luggage around in Thailand for me! But have been assisted dozens of times in Japan with heavy luggage containing heavy product samples. Yes, at train stations! I'm afraid you paint to too-broad of a brush.

I really don't believe all the bleaters and whingers in this thread! :)

Look, we've got a new express train to the airport. If you don't like the thing, don't fuggin use it. Use the great, friendly taxi drivers.

Thank you.

I am delighted by the announcement. It's a positive development and certainly will make life easier for a great many people. This is a great advantage for the airport workers and alot of visitors. More importantly it will improve the quality of live for tens thousands of people as their commutes to work will be shortened as road traffic will be reduced, both by the numbers using the roads and for others by the ability to take the train cutting their travel time. No more running the gauntlet of slimey touts. That in itself is worth something to me. I intend to use it whenever I can, so will my friends.

If a few miserables sods in TV want to nitpick, bless their lonely bereft hearts. The number of people that will benefit will certainly be greater than the brain shriveled constipated grumps that can get a "better deal" to their brothel. If 150 baht for the train ticket is too much to bear, then they have bigger problems to worry about than this.

Look, we've got a new express train to the airport. If you don't like the thing, don't fuggin use it. Use the great, friendly taxi drivers.

Thank you.

I am delighted by the announcement. It's a positive development and certainly will make life easier for a great many people. This is a great advantage for the airport workers and alot of visitors. More importantly it will improve the quality of live for tens thousands of people as their commutes to work will be shortened as road traffic will be reduced, both by the numbers using the roads and for others by the ability to take the train cutting their travel time. No more running the gauntlet of slimey touts. That in itself is worth something to me. I intend to use it whenever I can, so will my friends.

If a few miserables sods in TV want to nitpick, bless their lonely bereft hearts. The number of people that will benefit will certainly be greater than the brain shriveled constipated grumps that can get a "better deal" to their brothel. If 150 baht for the train ticket is too much to bear, then they have bigger problems to worry about than this.

Lol dunno if I was included in this but all I (and most others) were doing was making a valid comparison between taxis and the train. Taxi is at most 50 baht more and way more convenient for me so I will use a taxi. Quite simple.

Your vitriol towards the so called whiners makes you seem like a bit of a "brain shriveled constipated grump" yourself, to be fair.

Edited by lennois

Suvarnabhumi Airport Link sets soft launch for December 5

BANGKOK: -- The long-delayed Airport Rail Link project, providing direct rail service to and from Suvarnabhumi Airport, will start providing free service to the public from this December 5 which coincides with the birthday celebrations of His Majesty the King, said State Railway of Thailand (SRT) Governor Yuthana Tupcharoen.

People interested in free rides on December 5 may apply for tickets beginning October 1 at either the Airport Rail Link office or at SRT headquarters, Mr. Yuthana said.

Test runs of the system have been conducted since February by Siemens, the manufacturer and installer of the rail system, and no problems have been found. However, independent engineers will inspect the safety system for the next three months and if no problems are found, the system will be ready for operation.

The SRT board has also hired Deutsche Bahn International of Germany for Bt85 million to train Airport Rail Link staff. The board exports to launch the system on December 5, Mr Yuttana added.

The 28-km rail link connects Suvarnabhumi International Airport in adjacent Samut Prakan province and the City Air Terminal in Bangkok's Makkasan area.

The Airport Rail Link is owned and will be operated by SRT, through a subsidiary company, which will administer the overall operations.

According to a preliminary study, the fare for an express trip will be Bt150 per person, while fares for the City Line commuter trips, will vary from Bt30-50 per passenger.

Transport for airport express riders and local commuters will run on the same track with the same equipment, but with a staggered schedule.

Premium-fare express services will run on the hour between Suvarnabhumi Airport and City Air Terminal, while the City Line service will stop at six local stations along the route.

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2009-09-05

Hmmmm. Safety testing from February thru December.

Then when the smash-up does occur, it'll be a dozy, something everyone overlooked. My money's on bad concrete pours - from a Contractor connected to you-know-who.

Edited by OldenAtwoody

That's a LOT of Baht for training, there must be a lot of staff :)

-seriously- Good work Thailand!

I think they made good time getting it going.

Taxi meters are ripping us off more and more, so an option is needed. They say bad things about farang if they can't overcharge or we don't tip.

Edited by ding

I never cease to be amazed at some of the comments made here on Thai Visa. There must be a lot of miserable people out there. How can a simple news story about the new rail link from the airport to Bangkok bring forth so many negative replies? It is a plus that this rail link will be completed and put into use. It is just another option for getting to or from airport/town. It might be that a taxi is still a good way to go for many but for others the new rail link may just be easier. People complained about the cost of the skytrain when it started service expressing the view that a taxi was cheaper. But one can clearly see that ridership on the skytrain has increased over the years if a trip during rush hour is any indication. It sure is a lot easier to take the subway or skytrain in rush hour than to try and catch a taxi and wait in traffic to get to your destination. It gives one an option and for many these rail links serve them very well. Why do so many try to justify why something won't work rather than thinking that for many people this will be a great service?

For those of you too cheap to pay the 50 baht and go upstairs to get a taxi, just remember that that 50 baht helps keep the taxis that go thru the airport reasonably organized and places people at the taxi stand which provides a service and keeps things running more smoothly. If that wasn't the case it would be a complete mess trying to catch a taxi. Actually that service helps many travellers new to Thailand as they know that the taxi driver at least knows where they are going into town. I have only one time had a taxi driver refuse to put on the meter and got out of the taxi. Many might try to avoid the meter but few will refuse to put it on when asked. Further, many busy airports use a system not unlike in Thailand and charge a surcharge for getting a taxi at the airport. This is certainly not uncommon. 50 baht has to be the cheapest surcharge in existance and some of you try to avoid even that. Can you imagine what things would be like without some people running the taxi stand and keeping the taxis flowing from the holding area.

Edited by Trouble

Anyone know just what the logistics are between getting off the train at the airport and getting to check in ? I think this will be the make or break.

With taxis (and taxis are so cheap in relative terms), you can just walk straight into check in.

As they built it from scratch, the train should come in under the airport.

seriously, im here for 2 weeks and from reading stuff on forums like thai visa i was expecting annoying touts.. not many and everyone respected my not interested signal; smell, again not really and didnt take 'getting used to'; sidewalks, bad but again nothing i cant handle; taxis, no one tried to scam me yet; traffic, ok but i was expecting way worse; pollution, again expecting worse; double pricing, i guess only turist attractions? from foodcarts to shoppings i have always paid the std thai price, only 5% i was quoted way overpriced items; the weather is great.. i dont care if its too hot sometimes or rains.. i do see some bad service/conditions on the 2 hotels i stayed but really nothing i couldnt handle; also everyone seams to have a pretty acceptable standard of living(i understand it may not be the case in other areas) but really, i think a lot of people whining on TV are spoiled and easily stressed/annoyed when their expectations arent meet all the time. i am on a trip through SEA and decided to rent here for 1y and just visit the rest of asia through that period; also, im working most of the time and havent checked nightlife/most turisty stuff/other parts of thailand/etc and im also here for a small time so my opinion might change but so far i love everything from the weather, to the transport system, to walking on the street and having half a pineaple for 10baht or a fresh tangerine juice for 20baht, the people, the 'cheapness' of the country, feeling safe, shopping areas, cost to travel to the other countries etc

"As they built it from scratch, the train should come in under the airport."

It does, and what is your point?

Just a couple weeks ago, Bart posted that after his VIP ride, the Siemens engineers told him that there was a myriad of serious problems, and a lot of work still had to be done. Oh, horrors! AND, the train wasn't going to open for many many many months. Oh, horrors! Luckily, Bart was sandbagging us. As with other threads, some people justify their existence with doom and gloom.

............ and it drops you off at the travellator near 'gate 8' where you can get cheap munchies from

'THE MAGIC FOOD POINT'

.............Get ya last 'reasonable / cheap as', feed in Thailand, before ripoffs on upper levels..

Thank you.

if your having a go because I asked if I could get to Nana on the thing "a better deal to my brothel" stick it where it fit <deleted>. At least I was asking a simple question could i use it to get to polen chit or nana air train station and would use it if not to much hassle which nodody has even answered one reply says there is a 5 minute walk involved another says you can catch the air train at the same station just like on a different platform which is it to all of you in the bloody know how bout informing us that want to get to our brothel, bar or whatever when i come toThailand I couldnt give a rats about money I,m there for a good time share my money around even as far as giving the old begger lady a 100baht each day just to put a smile on her face.I didn't ask a question on this thread to be called a constipated old grump going to a brothel.

ok, it's not the BTS, can you please share with us what it is. It seems like you know, but you're not telling, come on, tell us pleeaase!

It is run by the SRT (State Railway of Thailand), the same company that runs all other trains in Thailand except the BTS and MRTA (not sure about the acronym MRTA, I mean the subway)

opalhort

Mass Rapid Transit Authority of Thailand

To DING. You say 'Taxi drivers complaining Farangs that don`t tip'. Tipping is a Western World phenomena. Tipping theoretically should not happen here. We do it because we bring what we are used to over with us. Many years ago when I was at a restaurant with my, as then, future wife, I tipped a waiter. My lady then reiterated the conversation she heard taking place between the waiting staff. In essence; 'Why did he give me extra money for doing the job that I am being paid to do?'

People dissing the airport rail link. I would be one if I had entered this post sooner. It has pretty much all been said. However, I believe that those of us that have lived in Thailand a long while, are angry and disappointed at yet another fiasco. The initial thinking of policy makers is superb. But when those thoughts are then put to fruition it all goes wrong - every time. I could go on about why, I am a long term resident, such as corruption etc. but I won`t. Suffice to say, the Thai people deserve more.