Cylinder Lock - Size 7 - Where To Buy? Not Available In Home Pro

ihightower

In my condo, for the rooms, cylindrical locks are used.

something like this:lock2.JPG

I am replacing the current lock as it doesn't have a key.

The one I bought from Home Pro as a replacement (THB150) cannot be used for my door as it is a Size 6, but the length of that "front protruding" part (lower right corner in the above photo - the one that goes in and comes out when the rotating the cylinder) for my home door lock is said to be a Size 7. This info as per the technician.

I have no idea what that means, but all I know is that the one in my door is much longer than the one from Home Pro.

In home pro, all they got was this type for Size 7 (THB350 for the cheapest one):

5972-tubular-door-lock-lever-leverset-1.jpg

But, I am not interested in this type.

Where can I get a Size 7, Cylinder Lock as per the first photo.

If Home Pro cannot get, I am sure Tesco and Carrefour will not have too.

Please help. I am in Central Bangkok.

Edited by ihightower

There are two important considerations: the backset of the lockset and the height of the lockset off the floor. The backset is the distance from the edge of the door to the center of the lockset hole. As I mentioned earlier, this dimension is commonly 2 3/8 or 2 3/4 inches. Doors that have glass or narrow stiles almost always require 2 3/8 inch backsets. If you use a larger size, the decorative rosette might overhang the stile on a paneled type door. Flush doors do not pose this problem. Commonly, the centerline height of a cylindrical lockset is 36 inches off the floor.

This quote is taken from a DIY web site. The backset 2 3/8 and 2 3/4 equates to 6cm and 7cm which most likely is the respective size 6 and 7 the technician referred to. So you will need to shop for an exact match as you are replacing a lock set and not installing a new one to a door with no holes.

I did not catch where you are located but there are many lock shops around that can easily re-key the lock you have or replace as needed.

As said the lock can easily be replaced. If you want to change the unit I would check in Chinatown - I don't know the exact streets but many taxi drivers would know - you can find just about anything in Thailand in those modest shops.

There are two important considerations: the backset of the lockset and the height of the lockset off the floor. The backset is the distance from the edge of the door to the center of the lockset hole. As I mentioned earlier, this dimension is commonly 2 3/8 or 2 3/4 inches. Doors that have glass or narrow stiles almost always require 2 3/8 inch backsets. If you use a larger size, the decorative rosette might overhang the stile on a paneled type door. Flush doors do not pose this problem. Commonly, the centerline height of a cylindrical lockset is 36 inches off the floor.

This quote is taken from a DIY web site. The backset 2 3/8 and 2 3/4 equates to 6cm and 7cm which most likely is the respective size 6 and 7 the technician referred to. So you will need to shop for an exact match as you are replacing a lock set and not installing a new one to a door with no holes.

I did not catch where you are located but there are many lock shops around that can easily re-key the lock you have or replace as needed.

Thank you, that is very informative and make sense. I will measure my door later today and confirm this.

As of re-key the lock, I have smashed the original one to crack it open when i accidentally locked it few weeks earlier. But, my smashing didn't help at all.. all that remained was a bent cylinder. Then I had to call and pay THB300 to ask the lock picker to open it at 0130am.

There is one other room (Room 2) with the same lock without key.

1) longball53098: May be as you suggest I may make a key for that just in case. I live in Rama 3 Area, Bangkok. Any ideas on who may do this. Cost?

2) lopburi3: Still, I have to replace the broken lock in Room 1. So any ideas on how I can go about doing this.

Following photo shows what I found from Homepro for a Size 7. This is the mechanism I have in my home.. but cylinder type. I wish to get the cylinder type.

Is it true that... Size 6 is NEW MODEL and Size 7 is OLD MODEL (and antique now)? Or it is not really the case. Thanks.

1252298709089224700.jpg

Edited by ihightower

Well the lever type were used in Germany when I lived there 40+ years ago so to me they are not new. I have several and not happy with them - finish wears off and several have had lock fit problems when having to change from one side of door to the other. Rather cheap construction (to put it mildly). Nice as can open door with hands full but the round type seem to be of better quality (although then can be cheap too).

I would remove second lock - get key made - install in main door. Then use the broken one from main door to go shipping for replacement to install in second door (although if you already have the lever model maybe you could use in second door?).

Edited by lopburi3

• 7 months later...

Hi..

This is the exact lock I am looking for my room door (inside the flat).

I can't get it anywhere.. looking for the past 1 year+.. can't find in HomePro, Tesco, Carrefour and various exhibitions around Bangkok.

Lock #1

2378ffdc0e.jpg

The photo above was obtained from our condo maintenance guy and he said... if I buy from him it will be B2500.

While similar locks like this #2, sells in HomPro for B250-B400 (some cheap but good models), but only that this won't fit in my door. This is of size 6 or sthg, while the above one is of Size 7.

Lock #2

917d0cae83.jpg

I have another option is to get this type of size 7.. and the price about B350. only that it is not cylinder lock.. and I am not sure it will really fit for my door.

Lock #3

7ceedf1dd9.jpg

Can someone advise where I can get the Lock #1 for a resonable price... say of B350-BB700. I am unsuccessful to find it so for.

Edited by ihightower