Bicycles In A Pickup

Greenside

I want to carry three bikes in the back of my D-Max. I am planning to make a fixing arrangement to secure them on the move but because it's four door with a short bed, to stand the bikes upright and on the floor would entail leaving the tailgate down. Is this legal or will I have endless brushes with the BIB?

There are plenty of solutions for shorter load areas on the internet but most involve taking the front wheel off which is OK with smart quick release type bikes which ours aren't. Anyone come across a good ready made device here, out of interest?

I want to carry three bikes in the back of my D-Max. I am planning to make a fixing arrangement to secure them on the move but because it's four door with a short bed, to stand the bikes upright and on the floor would entail leaving the tailgate down. Is this legal or will I have endless brushes with the BIB?

There are plenty of solutions for shorter load areas on the internet but most involve taking the front wheel off which is OK with smart quick release type bikes which ours aren't. Anyone come across a good ready made device here, out of interest?

Just take a look at how the 4X4s are loaded on the roads in Thailand, I don't think you will have much of a prob with a couple of bikes do you? be fare :)

What the locals get away with and what we are allowed to are two very different things. If I tried (or was suicidal enough) to drive the wreck below I'd be in the nick in about 5 minutes but six months after the picture was taken I still see it on the road here in Chiang Mai every week.

346838554_Ldk6v-M.jpg

it is ok but you have to have a red plate/ cloth with you number plate number written on it. If you are going to drive like this at night you also need a red light, both of these need to be at the furthest point. Also if you want to drive on the expressway or motorway you need to cover the load.

As told to me by a BIB.

it is ok but you have to have a red plate/ cloth with you number plate number written on it. If you are going to drive like this at night you also need a red light, both of these need to be at the furthest point. Also if you want to drive on the expressway or motorway you need to cover the load.

As told to me by a BIB.

I v been pulled over for all kind of silly reasons, but never has open tailgate while transporting motorbikes been pointed out. A battery operated rear tail light on your bikes in night time is good. And as thaicbr says a red cloth in day time.

What the locals get away with and what we are allowed to are two very different things. If I tried (or was suicidal enough) to drive the wreck below I'd be in the nick in about 5 minutes but six months after the picture was taken I still see it on the road here in Chiang Mai every week.

346838554_Ldk6v-M.jpg

I'm not quite sure what your point is, are you inferring that this lovely vehicle has a problem, if so I'm afraid it isn't entirely apparent. Are you referring to a little irrelevant rust in the bumper?

346838554_Ldk6v-M.jpg

I'm not quite sure what your point is, are you inferring that this lovely vehicle has a problem, if so I'm afraid it isn't entirely apparent. Are you referring to a little irrelevant rust in the bumper?

Let me see, there was something about the suspension that made me a bit uneasy. That, and the apparent lack of tread on the tyres....

Still, I'm a bit of a worrier.

346838554_Ldk6v-M.jpg

Yes, good for another 30 years IMHO. :)