Which Visa

I am retired with pension and reasonal bank balance. Going to Thailand in november, hopefully for 12 months or more.

Will need to leave and return a few times. Which visa do i need and how many times can i re-enter.

What documentation etc do i require before fronting to the Brisbane Thai Consulate.

Any good advice gratefully recieved.

Thanks to all.

I expect you will need money and photo but other than that expect a multi entry non immigrant O visa is your best bet as it will allow unlimited number of stays up to 90 days each and freedom to travel/return for a new 90 day stay for one year from date of issue.

If you plan on staying in Thailand for more than 90 days at time you should get an extension of stay after you get here instead of getting a multiple entry visa.

For an extension of stay you will need to prove income of 65K baht or have 800K baht in a Thai bank for 60 days when apply or a combination of the 2 that totals 800K baht. After you get the extension you can get a multiple re-entry permit that will allow you to leave and re-enter as many times as you want to for the length of your extension.

If decide to do the extension route you could do it with a single entry visa.

Edited by ubonjoe

All is good !

I went to Royal Thai Consul at Wooloongabba, Brisbane today (8th sept), told them what i thought i wanted.

They were very helpful and friendly. Fifteen minutes later i was out with a 4x90 day re-entry visa, virtually giving me 15 months.

It cost me $A210 for the visa plus $A15 for the photos, showed them my valid passport and bank statements.

Thats it ! too easy. And by the way, she said that i could enter on a one way ticket. :)

Are you sure? Most Consulates issue a multi entry non immigrant O visa valid for unlimited number of entries for up to 90 days each - and if you plan to get 15 months from what you got it must be that type of visa. As for one way ticket any visa allows travel - even a tourist visa.