Waiting On Uk Settlement...what Can We Be Doing Meanwhile?

While Bananawoman and I wait on a decision on a settlement visa for the UK, we're wondering what we can be doing that will make life easier for her or both of us if and when she arrives on British soil. I'm thinking things like applying for an international driving licence so she she can get a year behind the wheel (before having to get a UK licence), getting references from past employers and translating her degree certificate.

Do we need to get a translation of our Thai marriage certificate?

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Cheers all.

She will not get an international driving licence unless she first has a Thai driving licence, and if she has a Thai driving licence she does not need an international driving licence as this confers no rights in the UK that her Thai one doesn't already give her. Remember, if she has not passed the UK test within one year of her first arrival then she will no longer be able to drive on her Thai licence and will revert to learner status until she does pass the UK test.

See here for more details. N.B. the link leads to information for Great Britain only; the regulations for Northern Ireland, the Isle of Man and the Channel Islands are each slightly different.

Any documents which you feel may help her find employment etc. once in the UK should be translated, as should her birth and marriage certificates and any others; e.g. name change, divorce if applicable. They may be needed, and it's cheaper to get them done in Thailand.

How about preparing a CV for her and even sending it to potential employers?

Things like registering with a doctor and obtaining an NI number will have to wait until she is in the UK.

Agree with 7by7's post about translation of Marriage cert. Mrs Buzby and I have just had ours translated in UK (for Schengen visa application) and it cost us £25 and a lot of hassle with the spate of recent Postal Strikes.

Good luck with Settlement visa and for the future :)

Agree with 7by7's post about translation of Marriage cert. Mrs Buzby and I have just had ours translated in UK (for Schengen visa application) and it cost us £25 and a lot of hassle with the spate of recent Postal Strikes.

Good luck with Settlement visa and for the future :)

Cheers Buzby and 7by7.

Anybody else with any helpful info, do please be forthcoming.

I suggest you get all your paperwork translated into English before you come to the UK ,It is a lot easer and cheaper, As for doctors and Ni number you can only do that when she arrives in the UK. As for myself i am just keeping busy , Decorating and working my nuts off to pass the time,

With reference to the driving license, a friend of ours has been living in the UK now for several years (she has a British Passport now), her husband is disabled and can not drive therefore she is the driver in the family. She does not have a UK Driving License. Every year they come back to Thailand for a holiday and whilst here she obtains a 1 year International Driving Licence from Bangkok. When I asked her about this and if it effected her motor insurance she replied that she believed that she paid a higher motor insurance premium due to driving on an International License. When I asked why she did not take the UK Driving Test she replied that she was to busy. She reads, writes, speaks English like a native!

With reference to the driving license, a friend of ours has been living in the UK now for several years (she has a British Passport now), her husband is disabled and can not drive therefore she is the driver in the family. She does not have a UK Driving License. Every year they come back to Thailand for a holiday and whilst here she obtains a 1 year International Driving Licence from Bangkok. When I asked her about this and if it effected her motor insurance she replied that she believed that she paid a higher motor insurance premium due to driving on an International License. When I asked why she did not take the UK Driving Test she replied that she was to busy. She reads, writes, speaks English like a native!

She "believes" she pays a higher premium ? Many insurance companies won't even quote on an international license and I very much doubt they would be renewing a policy on continual IDP's. Just wait until there is an accident and then find out how valid both her international permit and insurance are worth. :)

The law is quite simple.

Apart from those holding a licence issued by an EU state, and certain others with whom the UK holds a reciprocal arrangement, any person driving in the UK must hold a valid UK licence for the class of vehicle being driven.

There is a concession which allows foreigners to drive in the UK with their foreign licence for up to 12 months from the date of their arrival in the UK.

For visitors, this 12 months starts each time they enter the UK; but for residents it starts on the date of their first entry as a resident. Holidays outside of the UK, even to their home country, do not extend this period, neither does obtaining a new international driving permit.

I am afraid that your friend is driving illegally, and if caught could suffer a fine of up to £1000 for driving otherwise than in accordance with a licence.

Of course, as she does not have a valid licence then her insurance is also invalid, despite her paying the premiums (the insurance company will simply say that she told them she had a valid licence, and it's her responsibility to ensure that this is so). The penalty for driving without valid insurance is a fine of up to £5000! Plus of course the cost of any repairs to her car and that of anyone else involved if she has an accident, cost of compensation to third parties etc.

She may say that she wont have an accident, but it only takes a moments inattention, or an accident that is someone else's fault. She could also be caught out if she is stopped by the police for some reason (faulty taillight for example) and asked to produce her documents.

If caught, not only will she have to pay the fines, but each offence also carries a discretionary disqualification. How will she drive her husband about if disqualified?

The law is quite simple.

Apart from those holding a licence issued by an EU state, and certain others with whom the UK holds a reciprocal arrangement, any person driving in the UK must hold a valid UK licence for the class of vehicle being driven.

There is a concession which allows foreigners to drive in the UK with their foreign licence for up to 12 months from the date of their arrival in the UK.

For visitors, this 12 months starts each time they enter the UK; but for residents it starts on the date of their first entry as a resident. Holidays outside of the UK, even to their home country, do not extend this period, neither does obtaining a new international driving permit.

I am afraid that your friend is driving illegally, and if caught could suffer a fine of up to £1000 for driving otherwise than in accordance with a licence.

Of course, as she does not have a valid licence then her insurance is also invalid, despite her paying the premiums (the insurance company will simply say that she told them she had a valid licence, and it's her responsibility to ensure that this is so). The penalty for driving without valid insurance is a fine of up to £5000! Plus of course the cost of any repairs to her car and that of anyone else involved if she has an accident, cost of compensation to third parties etc.

She may say that she wont have an accident, but it only takes a moments inattention, or an accident that is someone else's fault. She could also be caught out if she is stopped by the police for some reason (faulty taillight for example) and asked to produce her documents.

If caught, not only will she have to pay the fines, but each offence also carries a discretionary disqualification. How will she drive her husband about if disqualified?

That's nice and succinct. I would also point out that UK police are now increasingly using cameras that are linked to DVLC and the database maintained by the insurance companies, pass a vehicle fitted with these and she can look forward to a stop, a friend of mine was stopped quite recently because the database did not show a UK license linked to the registered owner. He was in the clear as he is a mechanic taking a customers car for a test drive and was covered by his own insurance.

She may well get away for it for a while but if she continues its only a question of time...

HI

the police also now have the power to seize the car if the driver has no valid license or valid insurance,the car will be recoverd from the roadside to

a police contractors site,you will be given 7 or 14 days in wich to produce said license or insurance,if you dont the car will be CRUSHED or the car

will be automaticly be transferd into the the police force name and then sold at AUCTION,and on top of that 6 points and a instant roadside fine of

£250.00,this is now standard procedure.

Hi,

Will she be working in the UK when she get's there? If so what kind of job? If she wants to work in a hospital, school or any kind of care work she will need a police clearance certificate so it may be useful to get in Thailand from the police then get it translated to English.

I think she will need to go to her local police station to get the ball rolling, and knowing Thailand as I do I am sure there will be a charge and lots of waiting around!!!

Good luck and I hope all goes well

Andy

All of the imput given to you about your wife migrating to the UK is good and factual. As Thailand is not a designated country regarding driving on their own country's driving licence, The driving licence must fit the category of driving the vehicle which they will drive. In other words it must be a full motorcycle driving licence to ride a motorcycle etc. She has up to 12 months from the date of entry to the UK to enable her to drive on her own Driving licence and during this time she must apply for a UK driving test. If she fails it and the 12 months expire she must then apply for a provisional UK driving licence and adhere to those rules. It is an important factor also to inform your Insurance company of your wife's nationality and what type of driving licence that she will be using. Failing to do this may result in the Insurance company making the Motor Insurance for the vehicle null and void, and should she be stopped by the Police, she will be prosectued for driving without Insurance and you will also be prosecuted for aiding and abetting this offence, the vehicle could be crushed and the penalty at court is a possible driving disqualification and or a very hefty fine. The Police and the Courts treat driving a motor vehicle on a road without Insurance as a very serious offence.

If you do have any problems you can always go to the main Police Station to ask questions, if they haven't the answer for you there and then, they will find the answer for you and inform you of your enquiries.I don't know what qualifications your wife has as I have just read this quickly at random, but such places as Aged peoples homes would welcome her for employment.

Good Luck to you both.

Edited by Pitbullman1

Hi,

Will she be working in the UK when she get's there? If so what kind of job? If she wants to work in a hospital, school or any kind of care work she will need a police clearance certificate so it may be useful to get in Thailand from the police then get it translated to English.

I think she will need to go to her local police station to get the ball rolling, and knowing Thailand as I do I am sure there will be a charge and lots of waiting around!!!

Andy

Hi Andy

Yeah she does plan to work but is not sure in what industry yet; however, getting the police clearance certificate you refer to might be a sensible option anyway just in case she does end up in any of the areas you mentioned.

Cheers

She has up to 12 months from the date of entry to the UK to enable her to drive on her own Driving licence and during this time she must apply for a UK driving test. If she fails it and the 12 months expire she must then apply for a provisional UK driving licence and adhere to those rules.

Not quite.

One cannot take a UK driving test unless one holds a UK provisional licence, so she should apply for this ASAP after arriving. Holding a UK provisional licence will not stop her from driving on her Thai licence for the first 12 months, and ideally she should take and pass her UK tests (theory and practical) before the end of this 12 months so there is no break in her entitlement to drive in the UK.

Hi,

Andy

Hi Andy

Yeah she does plan to work but is not sure in what industry yet; however, getting the police clearance certificate you refer to might be a sensible option anyway just in case she does end up in any of the areas you mentioned.

you need police clearance cert for most jobs in uk but you can not get until you get visa,takes about a hour can only be done in bangkok costs about 2300 bht with postage to uk, or if you not coming to uk straight away after getting visa, about 3weeks to thai address. plus you need birth certs marrige certs all translated in to english,about 300bht los, 25 quid uk

you need police clearance cert for most jobs in uk

Really? I have had many employers in the UK over the years, including Local Authorities and government departments, but have never had to supply any form of certificate from the police or the CRB.

My wife had to once, when she obtained a job working in a school, but she had by that time been in the UK long enough to get it here and none of her previous employers had wanted one.

Having said that, Bananaman, if your wife can get one it would be a good idea, especially if she may want to seek any form of employment involving children.

Edited by 7by7

It is about a three week delay for Theory tests at the moment and the format changes this month you have a case history to study in the Theory part.

Driving tests in the South East have an eight to twelve week waiting list .

The Driving test changes next year October 2010.

No one is certain what will be happeing but it is certain to be harder 45% pass rate at the moment so its some thing to think about as we get closer to October the waiting list will extend as every one tries to get in on the old format.

Remember you must pass Theory prior to booking Practical Test.

The law is quite simple.

The wording of motor insurance is - "holds or has held a licence to drive that class of vehicle" therefore if your licence has run out or is no longer valid in the UK, any insurance held is still valid, as long as at some time a licence was held. lots of Uk licence will be running out soon as photo licences are only valid for 10 years, before a new photo is required. photo licences have now be in use in the UK for about 10 years.

The wording of motor insurance is - "holds or has held a licence to drive that class of vehicle" therefore if your licence has run out or is no longer valid in the UK, any insurance held is still valid, as long as at some time a licence was held. lots of Uk licence will be running out soon as photo licences are only valid for 10 years, before a new photo is required. photo licences have now be in use in the UK for about 10 years.

If the person driving the vehicle does not hold a valid licence for that class of vehicle then they are driving illegally; this will invalidate their insurance. If you think otherwise and want to take the risk, that is your choice.

If a person who holds a UK photo licence does not renew it when it expires then they will be driving illegally, too. The DVLA will notify photo licence holders in plenty of time for them to renew. You may ask "What if I have moved?" It is an offence for licence holders not to notify the DVLA of any change of address.

I suggest you get all your paperwork translated into English before you come to the UK ,It is a lot easer and cheaper, As for doctors and Ni number you can only do that when she arrives in the UK. As for myself i am just keeping busy , Decorating and working my nuts off to pass the time,

Can anyone tell me exactly what qualifies as an official translation? Do I have to get every translated document certified and stamped by the relevant government office in BKK, or is it sufficient just to use a reputable translation service and use the documents that they provide?

The former approach is going to work out a very expensive way of doing things and I just wonder for things like degree certificates and references for showing to prospective British employers, who would know honestly know what a Ministry stamp looks like?

If the person driving the vehicle does not hold a valid licence for that class of vehicle then they are driving illegally; this will invalidate their insurance. If you think otherwise and want to take the risk, that is your choice.

If a person who holds a UK photo licence does not renew it when it expires then they will be driving illegally, too. The DVLA will notify photo licence holders in plenty of time for them to renew. You may ask "What if I have moved?" It is an offence for licence holders not to notify the DVLA of any change of address.

all I can say is read your certificate of motor insurance.. do you speak from some sort of legal proffesion or police traffic experence.. as i do!!

All I can say to you is; read the small print of your policy. Look under "General Exclusions" or similar.

But, up to you if you want to take the risk.

Until I had to retire from the profession in 2007 for medical reasons, I was an ADI.

Are you saying you are a legal professional or a traffic police officer? If so, I am shocked that you are encouraging people to drive illegally!

All I can say to you is; read the small print of your policy. Look under "General Exclusions" or similar.

But, up to you if you want to take the risk.

Until I had to retire from the profession in 2007 for medical reasons, I was an ADI.

Are you saying you are a legal professional or a traffic police officer? If so, I am shocked that you are encouraging people to drive illegally!

why dont you stick to your adi stuff and leave the legal stuff to a trained person, I do not encourage any one to break any road traffic act's, but if you are going to put something in print on here to help others Get it Right, DONT TELL PEOPLE OLD WIFE TALES!! . It is a fact that when your licence runs out ( other than disqualified ) then your insurance is not invalidated. this is the last I will say on the matter, do not try and scare monger!!!

From my AA policy:-

"General exclusions

This insurance does not cover any accident injury loss damage or liability:

2. When the insured car is being driven by or is in charge of of for the purpose of being driven by a person who is not complying with any conditions attaching to their driving licence."

Someone who is still driving in the UK with their Thai driving licence only more than 1 year after becoming a UK resident is not complying with a condition attaching to that licence; namely that they can only use it in the UK for a maximum of 12 months after becoming a UK resident.

Old wives tale? I think not!

Unless you can point me to the relevant legislation where it says differently, I shall continue to believe and advise that driving without a valid licence invalidates your insurance.

BTW, teaching pupils about the law and how it effects them as drivers is "ADI stuff!" Haven't you heard of the theory test?

Edited by 7by7