Thai Marriage On Holiday

manjara

A couple of friends of mine are going to Thailand on a romantic holiday and the guy would like to arrange a Thai wedding for the trip.

They are both farang (male and female) but they want to get a Thai marriage certificate and do some basic ceremony.

Does anyone know if it can be done, and if there are people that will organise this sort of thing?

A couple of friends of mine are going to Thailand on a romantic holiday and the guy would like to arrange a Thai wedding for the trip.

They are both farang (male and female) but they want to get a Thai marriage certificate and do some basic ceremony.

Does anyone know if it can be done, and if there are people that will organise this sort of thing?

I stay here a couple of times a year and highly recommend it. A beautiful colonial style place. The only thing I'll say is Hua Hin beach isn't particularly nice but if it's a romantic place they want then this is it.

I saw a wedding next to one of the pools when I was there one time and it was a very professional looking affair.

Western managed by one of the biggest hotel chains in the world. I really can't fault the place.

http://www.sofitel.com/gb/hotel-0891-sofit...as/events.shtml

I am not sure, but if you get married in Thailand and want it registered here you have to complete the Affirmation to Marry from your Embassy, this then needs to be translated into Thai, and passed to the MFA. After this has been done then you can marry in Thailand.

For the paperwork to be done it will take approx 2 days.

Edited by beano2274

As stated they will need to go to their embassy to get the affirmation to marry. They will need to take proof of disoultion of any previous marriges (divorce or death certificates) and it is basically a sworn and notarized statement stating that they are free to marry. Many translation services near the embassies (you didn't say which one). Many of the services can assist with the Ministry of Foreign Affars "legalization". I did mine myself, got the letter from the US Embassy, had it translated across the street from the embassy (2nd floor Sindhorn 1 Tower) and took a taxi to the MFA on Chaeng Whittana Rd. There we turned in the paper and a small fee plus a posted expedited service fee and picked it up about 2 hours later. The exp. fee was not very much, but I don't remember the cost.

If they are just interested mainly in the certificate, any Amphur office can do it, but in more remote provinces might be a little difficult if they are not used to dealing with foreigners. They would be well advised to have a Thai speaker with them along with 2 witnesses. The registar will ask a few questions, fill in a few forms, collect a few baht (20-30 I think) and they are done. Any other "basic ceremony" can be from a small donation and blessing at a temple to

however much they care to spend, with planners, photographers, caterers and the works. None of this will make them any more married. But the planners can get them through all of the hoops for their fee. I like low buget affairs, so we took a few friends and the witnesses to lunch at a restaurant and that was it.

I would also reccmmend that the get the marriage document translated to their countries language and have them certified as true and correct translations before they return to their home country.

If they want someone to organize all of the details google "Thailand Weddings" and you can find plenty of services listed, for a price of course.

Hope this helps.

Edited by mmcsusnret

Look at your embassy website, it will tell you all the docuemnts you need to bring with you and most embassies also list soem translation agencies. These agencies can take care of the translation and of the legaisation part at the Thai foreign ministry as well.

Don't forget to have the Thai wedding documents legalised by your embassy after the marriage, otherwise the marriage cannot be registered in the home country. Again look for more details on the embassy website.

As stated they will need to go to their embassy to get the affirmation to marry. They will need to take proof of disoultion of any previous marriges (divorce or death certificates) and it is basically a sworn and notarized statement stating that they are free to marry. Many translation services near the embassies (you didn't say which one). Many of the services can assist with the Ministry of Foreign Affars "legalization". I did mine myself, got the letter from the US Embassy, had it translated across the street from the embassy (2nd floor Sindhorn 1 Tower) and took a taxi to the MFA on Chaeng Whittana Rd. There we turned in the paper and a small fee plus a posted expedited service fee and picked it up about 2 hours later. The exp. fee was not very much, but I don't remember the cost.

If they are just interested mainly in the certificate, any Amphur office can do it, but in more remote provinces might be a little difficult if they are not used to dealing with foreigners. They would be well advised to have a Thai speaker with them along with 2 witnesses. The registar will ask a few questions, fill in a few forms, collect a few baht (20-30 I think) and they are done. Any other "basic ceremony" can be from a small donation and blessing at a temple to

however much they care to spend, with planners, photographers, caterers and the works. None of this will make them any more married. But the planners can get them through all of the hoops for their fee. I like low buget affairs, so we took a few friends and the witnesses to lunch at a restaurant and that was it.

I would also reccmmend that the get the marriage document translated to their countries language and have them certified as true and correct translations before they return to their home country.

Hope this helps.

Only some counries use a notirized statement, like the US. Other countries want to see proper paperwork from your home country before they issue the freedom to marry letter.

Hi,

Have a look at Faraway Weddings - it's an agency based on Koh Samui and their web address is www.weddingsinthailand.com . Their website has all the information you need about the logistics of a wedding in Thailand and I'd personally recommend their services.

I will suggest that they should only do the ceremony in Thailand, and do the paperwork afterwards, when they are back in their home country. No need to waste own and Thai officials time, to get a Thai marriage certificate for "romantic" reasons only.

I will suggest that they should only do the ceremony in Thailand, and do the paperwork afterwards, when they are back in their home country. No need to waste own and Thai officials time, to get a Thai marriage certificate for "romantic" reasons only.

Laguna Phuket can arrange this for you . They have a beautiful wedding chappel too facing a lake and lovely ferry rides for the guests too :)

If they want someone to organize all of the details google "Thailand Weddings" and you can find plenty of services listed, for a price of course.

Hope this helps.

The "basic ceremony" is not a legal marriage.